Ideas Wanted

Originally posted by Blackhorse:

cough---campaign system---cough

Kilo India Alpha - if you are talking about actually doing some programming for someone with some ideas....I am working on some "campaign" rules that would be very much aided by someone with a knowledge of "C"...I bought a book on C++ and a compiler, but I think teaching myself in a matter of weeks was a bit unrealistic (at least, with the crappy software and manual I got - can't expect miracles for 40 bucks, anyway....)

Are you looking for a programming project to work on....or just looking for ideas out of curiousity?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Kilo India Alpha - if you are talking about actually doing some programming for someone with some ideas....I am working on some "campaign" rules that would be very much aided by someone with a knowledge of "C"

What sort of software were you thinking about?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blackhorse:

cough---campaign system---cough

Kilo India Alpha - if you are talking about actually doing some programming for someone with some ideas....I am working on some "campaign" rules that would be very much aided by someone with a knowledge of "C"...I bought a book on C++ and a compiler, but I think teaching myself in a matter of weeks was a bit unrealistic (at least, with the crappy software and manual I got - can't expect miracles for 40 bucks, anyway....)

Are you looking for a programming project to work on....or just looking for ideas out of curiousity?</font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

I know a little C++. Trouble is I don't have the software on my computer, nor do I know where to find it at minimal cost.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&threadm=68a3cc66.0202152228.5a854d70%40posting.google.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fnum%3D100%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26ie%3D ISO-8859-1%26q%3Dauthor%253Arussellmz%2Bcompiler

hope you can afford freeware

I should start out by stating that I am not a professional programmer, or even a gifted amateur, and have only dabbled in some Visual Basic stuff.

That said, have you guys considered using Visual Basic for this type of application? While it would probably be preferable to use c/C++, those languages sound much more difficult to learn, and the application we're talking about does not require state-of-the-art programming capabilities for 3-D graphics, etc. I would think (but am not sure) that VB could handle the 2-d, hex-based operational type game along with the associated AI. Does anyone know for sure?

Given real-life time constraints, I doubt that most members of this list would be able to pull something useful together single-handedly, but maybe working together it would be possible to accomplish something worthwhile. How many programmers do we have out there, and what is your interest level?

76mm

Originally posted by Nabla:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Kilo India Alpha - if you are talking about actually doing some programming for someone with some ideas....I am working on some "campaign" rules that would be very much aided by someone with a knowledge of "C"

What sort of software were you thinking about?</font>

Originally posted by 76mm:

I should start out by stating that I am not a professional programmer, or even a gifted amateur, and have only dabbled in some Visual Basic stuff.

That said, have you guys considered using Visual Basic for this type of application? While it would probably be preferable to use c/C++, those languages sound much more difficult to learn, and the application we're talking about does not require state-of-the-art programming capabilities for 3-D graphics, etc. I would think (but am not sure) that VB could handle the 2-d, hex-based operational type game along with the associated AI. Does anyone know for sure?

Given real-life time constraints, I doubt that most members of this list would be able to pull something useful together single-handedly, but maybe working together it would be possible to accomplish something worthwhile. How many programmers do we have out there, and what is your interest level?

76mm

You can use the DirectX API from within VB but you'd probably loose the edge in terms of speed if you tried 3D graphics.

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

Michael Dorosh, I would be interested in that campaign system of yours... I was thinking I would do a computer version of wreck/biltong's campaign rules if/when I get it and if it's suitable for a computer version.

I can't make a Mac version though.

Write it using Java

Originally posted by SuperSulo:

Michael Dorosh, I would be interested in that campaign system of yours... I was thinking I would do a computer version of wreck/biltong's campaign rules if/when I get it and if it's suitable for a computer version.

I can't make a Mac version though.

Once I get something decent happening, I'll post the HTML pages to my GD site. If anyone wants to take the job on of automating/programming the thing, they can get in touch with me. I'm not sure I can get it to work - I haven't looked at Wreck's rules because I don't want to be influenced by what he's done - I am using my GD histories and recently started looking through Charlie Kibler's rules for Solitaire ASL and realized that he had already broken the ground for ASL that I want to break. I have lots of ideas for using both the QB generator and the scenario editor to allow the player to "campaign" a single company - including interesting "mission" type battles in proportion to their rarity in real life, but am not sure I can make a workable system of tracking individual unit stats that won't cause a lot of work for the player - especially when casualties are factored in.

I have a lot of data to compile - and hence the desire to automate some of the functions. For example, for each month I want to generate roughly the same amount of combat, and the appropriate types of combat that the GD Regiment would have seen for that month. So in July 1941, for example, you will have the greatest chance of doing road clearance and village assault type battles, with a small chance of other special type missions with special victory-conditions - seize a bridge, evacuate some casualties by truck, hedgehog defence, relieve another unit in place while under enemy attack, simple fighting patrol, etc.

In July 1943, during Kursk, the odds of being selected to fight a deliberate assault on an enemy entrenched on a hill would be greater. In February 1942, you will be asked to fight mostly defensive battles, with a chance of "special missions" also - for example, venturing into no-man's-land to destroy abandoned Russian tanks that have been left by the enemy, to prevent their recovery.

In the HTML format, it will require physical dice rolling and lots of tables - no way around it. I've had a couple offers of help in programming a small .exe to "run" all this, maybe once I post some actual rules, potential help can see what I am talking about more clearly.

Thanks for the interest!

I am a professional C++ programmer. I have MS Visual C++ 6.0 at home. If you want to do something simple like you are describing (X% chance of getting Y type of setting/mission with Z types of equipment) I can program that up easily or else something like the campaign system rules that a few others have come up with would be easy, as well. Basically you are talking about just crunching some statistics and looking stuff up in a table. Creating a hex-based strategy game to output data to go into a CM battle would be more difficult, but could be manageable (though probably not by me since I have a ton of other side projects going on already.) For example, if you just needed a program to be able to create maps that look something like TOAW and place historical units and then select a hex and have it generate a quick-battle stat set for CM...that would not be too hard I think. It gets more difficult if you have to allow for the units to move and fight and really hard is making the AI. How ever, if you just needed a crude way to make hex-based Op/strategic level maps which could be used to make CM quick battles, that might be possible.

Seriously, I'm surprised that BFC hasn't done one of the following yet:

(1) Contacted Norm Koger about creating an interface between TOAW and CM

OR

(2) Created an interface to CM that players could use to create their own campaign system. I know this has been argued to death already and BFC's stance is that they don't want their "proprietary" code compsomised; however, if BFC did a little coding (and speaking as a programmer, I would say the level of complexity of this task is quite low, but I'm sure BFC will be along to say otherwise any second now...) they could simply output a text file of units remaining on each side, casualty levels, etc. and a little code to accept from a text file the unit and terrain data for making a QB. This would not, in any way, compromise their code, plus it would satisfy the community who wants a campaign system.

However, all that said, there is a possibility that some people may not recognize: BFC may want to create their own campaign system someday as a means to selling more product. This is, of course, their right as the creators of CM, and it is mere speculation in any case.

At any rate, if you want some programming help, let me know.

I have been working on a program to allow me to play campaigns off and on for a while now. I have taken a bit of a different approach to what has been suggested here. I am most of the way through writing a map generator that allows me to create very large maps that mimic the format of the CMxx maps. The map sizes I envisage making would be up to around 50x50 km (I haven't actually limited the size, your computer's memory and speed will do that for you)

I have also written a second program (actually its a COM object that will be loaded by the first program eventually) that will take sections of the map and 'remote control' CMxx to produce the map complete with units etc. Program wise, this is about 80% done but I still have to generate all the tables of units and controls. This is a very large job and I expect I will initially only produce the tables for time spans and nationalities that I am currently interested in.

This COM object is pretty easy to use so anyone else is welcome to it when I have finished it.

The third part of my 'little' project is to produce a controller that allows players to move and organise large forces around the oversized map. The computer then can handle determining when contact ocurs and automatically draw up a battle complete with the forces that are present. I want to include things like supplies, attrition of forces when moving distances, fatigue etc. This part of the project is still very much in it's infancy though I have at least worked out how to do some of the more complicated parts. The only part that the players will have to do is enter the CMxx AAR so that the computer can keep track of losses, fatigue etc.

Hopefully this should allow 2 or more players to fight a campaign without any of the annoying management issues while creating a series of battles that have a larger meaning, that are not necessarily balanced and where the goals of each player may be completely different.

[ November 11, 2002, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Caesar ]