Quid Nomen Tuum Peng? (The Challenge)

Originally posted by Abbott:

Does anyone know where David Aitken made off to? I have not seen any posts from him.

He went total PC-game cold turkey (and had disturbingly good arguments to support his case).

Then he went off to teach young nubile wimmin about art I believe. Hasn't been seen since.

I almost miss him as much as Mark IV. Now there was a man who took his beatings like a trooper.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Geier:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abbott:

Does anyone know where David Aitken made off to? I have not seen any posts from him.

He went total PC-game cold turkey (and had disturbingly good arguments to support his case).

Then he went off to teach young nubile wimmin about art I believe. Hasn't been seen since.

I almost miss him as much as Mark IV. Now there was a man who took his beatings like a trooper.</font>

I know this thread is meant for creative humor, fake venom, and duplicitous hatred towards opponents. But, I need to purge some real hatred hear and now, so bear with me.

Let me speak of real hatred. The kind that makes you cry alone in your apartment and forces you to feel totally ineffectual. My mind roams over the possibilities of why and why not as I view my sister in the throes of a seizure because of her brain cancer. It was the first time I saw this first time first hand and I was helpless. She describes her symptoms as a tingling, then numbness in her right side of her body, and then she goes blind in her right eye. Can I do anything to help? Of course not. I am just a human.

As I see her collapse in a heap on the floor, I feel nothing but immediate sympathy but cannot convey that because that would be forbidden in that house. It is “meant to happen for a reason” she says. Her faith and strength of character is enough to humble me and silence my questions. She does much to comfort me, as I am very upset when I see such a thing happen.

Still, when I am home alone, I get to ruminate upon the injustice of it all. I allow the feelings of anger to run through my mind and I wrestle with the abhorrence I have for all things having to do with cancer. This is true hatred, gentlemen. This is what wracks my soul and leaves me with no answers. There are so many of us who abuse our bodies and live the carnal lifestyle with no or little repercussions. Then there are those who live a life of peace and internal strength who suffer from malignant tumors.

I can rail against the powers that be and pretend that the idea of original sin cannot affect my family. I refuse to believe that anyone deserves to be treated that way by fate. I won’t delve into Judeo Christian mythos at the moment because I lost that seed of faith years ago although she still holds to the belief that her god allows this to happen for a reason. For me, it demolishes the idea of Agape love and the treatment of the followers of that god. Perhaps, when we all stand before the Bema Seat, we will know once and for all why the innocent would suffer from such an egregious disease.

Until that time arrives, I will feel absolute abhorrence for anything that harms my family.

Yes, I know that I am supposed to mention gameplaying issues here and pretend effrontery due to a battle with an opponent. I just needed to vent. I’ll pretend to be angry about something else sometime when hope returns and justice peaks through the dark clouds of cynicism.

Let’s pray to the gods of chemotherapy and anti-siezure medicine that they might be merciful. There is so little mercy show lately.

Hiram, there is no way to make sense of things like this, or to try to rationalize the unfairness of human existence, but you have to persevere and not let the things you cannot control poison you to the truly good things in life, like friends. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I'd have to agree with her Mrspkr, it would do you a world of good.

But unfortunately, Mr Spruiker instead proceeded to assault his kindhearted BETTER half with an extended in-depth lecture of the LAW regarding VEGETATIVE SUBSTANCES and such matters, followed by an abridged reading of her rights, a quick phone call to the NARC cops and finally offering his expert legal services to her - at a discounted fee of course.

Lawyers. Go figure.

AJ

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

{ahem} As Justicar of the Peng Challenge Thread I hereby (subject, as always, to the final judgement ... such as it is ... of the Olde Ones) declare and advise that the Squire Simon Elwen, having completed the quest set for him by his liege Sir Mace, is now and shall forever hence be known as Sir Simon Elwen and shall be accorded all the rights and privileges of a Knight of the CessPool.

Whew, desperate work that. I've really GOT to find a better tasting soap ... either that or stop saying things like the above.

Joe

p.s. Oh ... congratulations Sir Simon Elwen ... yada, yada, yada ... etc.

{edited to correct spelling of new Knight's name ... on the off chance that anyone would actually care}

Far be it from me to offer my <STRIKE>congrats</STRIKE> sympathies to Sir Simmo on his de-elevation to the Kuh-Niggetly 'Pool. Bad luck old chap!!

AJ

PS: And belated sympathies to me old maate Noba for sinking to the same nightly level of depravity. Oi!

[ October 19, 2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: AussieJeff ]

Originally posted by AussieJeff:

and finally offering his expert legal services to her - at a discounted fee of course.

What kind of a scumbag do you take me for? I'd charge her full price, just like anyone else.

Sheesh. Aussies. Go figure.

Steve

Speaking of sympathies,

Hang in there Hiram. Take strength from your brave sister's fighting spirit.

For what it's worth, my wife's brother has suffered from Grand Mal epilepsy fits since he was about 10 {and still does on occasion, despite powerful medication}. Watching him go through severe seizures while being totally helpless to do anything about it is a somewhat distressing experience in which we may have something in common.

My kindest thoughts are with your sister and yourself,

AJ

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AussieJeff:

and finally offering his expert legal services to her - at a discounted fee of course.

What kind of a scumbag do you take me for? I'd charge her full price, just like anyone else.

Steve</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AussieJeff:

Steve</font>

Something is very wrong with the world.

Last night, my wonderful wife, the lovely MrsSpkr, a fine, devout Baptist woman, a woman who dislikes the fact I have an occasional drink or two, suggested it might be in my best interest to smoke a little weed.

It frightened me, it truly did.

Steve

I don't know that I will ever stop laughing about this.

I can die, now.

Not that I will die, of course! Certainly not hanging from the chandelier! And under no circumstances will there be long, merry posts about it!

Although I've been feeling a bit depressed, lately.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that Mace apparently doesn't listen to enough Bob Dylan. Also, Mickey Mouse. That bastard's still laying for me.

Did I mention that every Sunday morning, at 8 AM, Satan calls me and says 'Hey'. And I say 'What?'. And He says 'Did I wake you?' And I say 'Yes'. And He laughs, and says 'Good'.

Then we usually talk about life, and how much less worthwhile it seems given that you lot are allowed to participate in it almost for free.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Did I mention that every Sunday morning, at 8 AM, Satan calls me and says 'Hey'. And I say 'What?'. And He says 'Did I wake you?' And I say 'Yes'. And He laughs, and says 'Good'.

Then we usually talk about life, and how much less worthwhile it seems given that you lot are allowed to participate in it almost for free.

Have a NICE day! :D

Cheeeeeerio,

AJ

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

It is "meant to happen for a reason" she says.

And that 'reason' is that the strong, the gracious, and the forgiving can show us all how to go gently into that longest of nights.

But there's no hand, behind the backdrop of life's curtains, moving her to 'be a good example', and move us with her strength.

No, that's all done by herself, through her grace, and through her love of life and the people she's being strong for.

I honour her for every moment she proceeds, and finds a good word to say to reassure the rest of you, and us, and to give the lie to her own fears, pain, and exhaustion.

I honour her for looking for there to be something beyond the suffering, something to make sense of it all, some one reason to proceed in the face of a Universe that will snuff each and every one of us out of existence in an eyeblink.

I honour her for her life.

Do you, also. Don't consider where she tells you she's 'taking her strength from'. It comes from herself. And you. And what she's given to life.

And, if there is anything out there that takes note of such things, then even they will have to give a nod.

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

[QB I just needed to vent. I’ll pretend to be angry about something else sometime when hope returns and justice peaks through the dark clouds of cynicism.

Let’s pray to the gods of chemotherapy and anti-siezure medicine that they might be merciful. There is so little mercy show lately.[/QB]

I lost my wife Liz, my soulmate, to leukemia six years ago. I have a good idea of how you must feel. I wish your sister the best of luck.

Hiram, Joe is right, for anything we here might wish to express to you, be it empathy, hope, or condolence, no words are adequate, and yet they are all we have, we who cannot put an arm around you and let a wordless moment speak for us. So I will try:

I recall the story of a simple scene, of an old woman drinking coffee. The observer was struck by the pure relish with which the poor, old, withered woman drank, and said the following, "Here I became aware of the world's tenderness, the profound beneficience of all that surrounded me, the blissful bond between me and all of creation, and I realized that the joy I had sought...breathed around me everywhere, in the speeding street sounds, in the hem of a comically lifted skirt, in the metallic yet tender drone of the wind, in the autumn clouds bloated with rain. I realized that the world does not represent a struggle at all, or a predaceous sequence of chance events, but shimmering bliss, beneficient trepidation, a gift bestowed on us."

I am sure that whoever has written, or thought, or spoke "God is good"--or "the world is good", for the meaning is the same--did not write, think, or speak because of an argument, a reason, a dogma, but because he felt what is expressed above.

I am not trying to tell you that "it will all be all right," or some such trite nonsense, because it is not all right. But I take heart that men before me, who have seen the pain in the world and felt it in their own lives, have still found beauty around them, and have found the world a good place.

I take comfort in this. I hope you will find something in it as well.