Will there be any model-to-bitmap support in CMBB?

Aren't Ghost Tanks doing Edge Hugging gamey?

What I'd like would be an external viewer for Models.

A la Half Life Model Viewer which simplifies MODing and testing without launching the game just to check 2 pixels.

Now that would be cool on the MODers and thus for all of us...

It's easy in Half Life and its MODs because the MODels are external files.

That would be for example, M4A1.mdl.

Those mdl files are the mesh and the anims plus the skin which is a simple compiled BMP.

CM is not that open since the models are coded in the exe.

So BTS will have to be the one offering an external viewer.

Hello Tiger,

Yes, we plan on releasing a list which identifies what each and every BMP is. At least that is the plan. However, I doubt it will be available as soon as the game comes out. Not a high priority item for release time ;)

The 3D models are translated into C code and compiled into the program, which is itself encrypted to some extent. I doubt anybody could pull the models out, and if they could we would have to sick our lawyers on them smile.gif Those models represent 1000s of hours of time, which transaltes to 10s of thousands of dollars. We will NOT be happy to see them floating on the Web without someone paying us a boatload of money first.

Steve

You shouldn't underestimate the amount of artistry that's involved in making BMPs that fit. Simply feeding photos into a 'skin-making program' neglects the amount of human eyeballing that has to be done. Speaking about eyeballing, I started to tear-up looking at the gorgeous Cromwell.

Did you guys see the new(?) CMBB 3/4 rear KV-1 view in the BTS model photo contest site? And check out the buildings behind it too.

Tiger nice to see you return smile.gif

Someone had an interesting thing developed, he made mono colored bmps, with the filenumbers on it, so it's easy to identify them directly on the model. Do somone remember who have it?

Steve I guess all what Paw means is the possibility to check the textures better then it can be done now. How about a 'reload textures' hotkey, integrated in the scenario editor (or something similar)?

Originally posted by Puff the Magic Dragon:

Tiger nice to see you return smile.gif

Someone had an interesting thing developed, he made mono colored bmps, with the filenumbers on it, so it's easy to identify them directly on the model. Do somone remember who have it?

Steve I guess all what Paw means is the possibility to check the textures better then it can be done now. How about a 'reload textures' hotkey, integrated in the scenario editor (or something similar)?

It's Voidhawk MOD.

Very cool.

Not always useful but a tool of the trade indeed.

As for Steve, I don't think he was saying that I suggested someone ought to reverse engineer the code.

BTS might do a little somefink to help us.

Most games I play have such utilities.

But loading CM is a reflex so it's not too bad...

:D

PL, I know what you meant smile.gif Yeah, the problem is that everything is model specific, so either our models get out into the public domain or there is no way your idea could work like it does for Half Life.

Puff,

Hehe... you have no idea how much Dan and I want this feature, but Charles has decided it is a no go even for us internal folks. So the rest of you don't have a chance smile.gif

Steve

Actually we already have this. Create a mission and place the unit you are working on on the map and position the camera. Then all you have to do is alt-tab between cmbo and your paint proggy, but you still have to reload the map preview but it does (usually) save your camera position viz a vie the model you are working on.

I can't believe they think that the game engine and mechanics, et. al. are more important than having the bmps notated. It doesn't matter if that shell can penetrate your tank or not, only that it looks good doing so ;)

-john

Originally posted by Tiger:

Actually we already have this. Create a mission and place the unit you are working on on the map and position the camera. Then all you have to do is alt-tab between cmbo and your paint proggy, but you still have to reload the map preview but it does (usually) save your camera position viz a vie the model you are working on.

I can't believe they think that the game engine and mechanics, et. al. are more important than having the bmps notated. It doesn't matter if that shell can penetrate your tank or not, only that it looks good doing so ;)

-john

Hi Tiger

GREAT to see you back smile.gif

can you say that again?

that sounds like a breakthrough!

You are suggesting that if you are working on a mod it will update "somehow" automatically in the Map editor in CMBO when you change the .bmp file in your image editor (Photoshop for instance) and then save it, then replace it in CMBO? some how?

Can I assume that you do not work on a MAC as we have to do the step of converting the image first with the MCM3 v1.6 1 then loading into the right graphics data file THEN go back to CMBO in the map editor and see if it actually changed when you reload the PREVIEW of the map with the unit on it

with the camera in the correct perspective.

IS that correct??

On a PC perhaps you can do this faster as you don't mess around with the MCM3 v1.6 1 to do the file conversion?

Thanks for the tip smile.gif !!

-tom w

[ February 05, 2002, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Actually Tom I think Tiger is referring to the PREVIEW button, though I could be wrong smile.gif

Dan

Hi Dan

Sorry perhaps my first post was not clear. smile.gif

I was attempting to suggest that the it was the Preview button while in the map editor part of the scenario editor that was pushed to "re-render" the 3D model (e.g. a tank) with the newly updated modded texture.

I suspect we are both trying to say the same thing

my point was I had no idea you could mod a texture insert it into the game and test it while the game was running, I suspect this is because I am on MAC and I doubt I can do this, as I need the MCM3 to convert the .bmp file into the graphic data in CMBO and I doubt I can do this with CMBO open and running. :confused:

Is that correct?

-tom w

[ February 06, 2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

For the poor MAC users on the PC I

a) go to the scenario editor, place the 'project unit' on the map and place the camera. Then I switch to the Windows-Destop with the ESC key

B) I change the graphic and save it directly as BMP into CM BMP directory

c) I switch back to CM. I press the GO button in the 3d preview, then reload the 3D preview and see: the textures are updated.

Tiger with an extra button we could spare seconds - SECONDS!!! smile.gif