Credit where credit is due.

I've been playing war games a long time. But, I've never played a PBEM game because of time constaints and general disinterest. To me wargames are more about illustrating the history than the game itself. There was a wargamer locally who took the view that he didn't need to play by any rules save the ones that allowed him to win. I was soured on it and him and his kind for a long time. But CM is a great game and I want to play. I needed someone to help me learn how. I thought people would see me as easy pickins and jump at the chance. I asked people I knew, wargamers with whom I had been on friendly terms for some time. No one wanted to play me. They just ignored that part of my message and replied cheerfully to all else. I thought; "That's it, then. I guess I'll never play a game." Since SuperTed is running a tourney for newbies I sent him an email describing the experience, asking why it was so distasteful to teach someone to play a PBEM game. With all that this gentleman has on his plate he offered to play a game with me himself, and guide me through it. I am loath to impose. I asked him for an introduction to another player who lives within my state. He obliged and that gentleman, knowing my limitations, has graciously consented to play a game. I am now undertaking my very first PBEM. SuperTed is helping me along. (Not with the game but with the mechanics of PBEM) It's too cool. I am bound to say here and now. Thank you, SuperTed. Thank you, Rob.

Thanks for the kind words Richard. I'll continue to help you along the best I can. Thanks SuperTed for the matchup, since I was starting to look for local players to pbem.

Your newbie tourney has turned me on to playing people insted of the AI.

Rob W

Originally posted by DD_Rob:

...Thanks SuperTed for the matchup, since I was starting to look for local players to pbem.

Your newbie tourney has turned me on to playing people insted of the AI.

Rob W

Rob,

It's the only way to go. smile.gif

Can i also add praise to another unsung hero....Ron....i played my second PBEM against him, and consequently at least half a dozen others, all different QBs and he has schooled, taught and assisted me at every turn to make sure i get as much pleasure from this game as poss. i have had my arse kicked all over my rather nice grass mod, Axis or Allies, 1000pts or 5000pts, his lessons have been cruel AND fair, you know what i mean: mistakes punished and praise given...i would consider him a CMBO mentor who has improved my play no end, helpful emails between posts, the works......i thank him heartily and will only mention once the fact that i beat him for the first time last week tongue.gif

So Many Nice Things People are Saying

and SuperTed is Still Alive

Usually these things are only said in a Eulogy

I'm another person Who's glad you're around SuperTed

Keep Up the Super Work !!!!

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Ted is super!

Count me as one of Ted's fans, too. I hadn't played PBEM until he started his Newbie Tournament. Since it started I haven't played against the AI again. Not only have I competed with some really good players, but I've made some new friends, too.

And PBEM opponents can do something the AI will never do. In one game my German opponent remarked that I had a lot of Pershings. I replied and told him I didn't want him scratching the paint on all of my nice new Pershings. Here is his response (thanks, VJ):

"I'm working on an anti-tank weapon for my men that works kind of like a TOW missile. It is mounted on a Kubel, fires, and then flies over the top of the tank and explodes downward with several gallons of raw egg. The egg dries to the paint and cooks into it in the hot sun. When the Allies wash it off, their paint job is ruined!!

Muuwwwhhhaaaaaa, hhaaaaahhhh, hhhhaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!"

THAT'S what makes PBEM a winner! :D