The sense of Fullscreen Anti-Aliasing and Asinotropic Filtering (huge pics)

without.jpg without FSAA & AF

with.jpg with 6xFSAA & 8xAF

Rate yourself. Look especially on the tracks and the barell. Using a MSI 4600Ti 128MB, Detonator 41.03 driver

[ November 08, 2002, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

I just with I could get a 64 or 128 meg PCI based card. *sigh* Stuck with a Radeon 7000 PCI. Not that I'm complaining too terribly loudly, it's better than the Rage 128 I did have ;) Actually, I want a faster Mac too... so who wants to get me some? ;)

You know, everything looks great. The roadwheels are smooth, the barrel is smooth, even the foxhole is improved, but where the trees overlap looks... um... kind of... yech. Probably worth it though.

Same as Japinard here, where I turned on AA my screen went black when I started CMBB. Got a GF4 4400, AMD 1900+, 512 DDR Ram. Any ideas?

Update:

Ahh the wonders of using "Search". I found a thread that mentioned that I needed to use 4x as it seems 2x did not work. That did it.

[ November 08, 2002, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: kking199 ]

I would like to use the AA features of my Nvidia Geforce3 Ti200 128mb card but if I enable any type of AA be it x2 or quad I get for example, a highlighted unit with the yellow box around it if it happens to touch the upper or left sides of the screen that yellow around the highlighted units is transposed to the top and left sides of the display feild. Would like to use AA I can see a noticeable difference while using it but can live without it. I am running det drivers 29.42 anything higher seems to have lockups

Originally posted by Gary T:

5% yes. But not 1%.

I guess you miss the most important improvement, but obvisiously this can't be shown on screenshots - the game still runs smooth, not like a slideshow. My old hardware was of course able to use FSAA and AF, but the speed was just...you know!?

Howdy fellas. Scipio I know what you mean , I also have everything set at it's highest setting and it looks great.

I think the effects of AA look best when you're zoomed out looking at a large portion of the battlefield.

I agree , when I turn off anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering I notice a big difference when zoomed out to 3 or higher. Up close you don't notice near as much , and believe me zoomed out there is alot more than 1 to 5% difference in appearance. At least on my video card there is. (G-Force3 Ti200 128mb \28.32 drivers)

Originally posted by TerrorX:

I would like to use the AA features of my Nvidia Geforce3 Ti200 128mb card but if I enable any type of AA be it x2 or quad I get for example, a highlighted unit with the yellow box around it if it happens to touch the upper or left sides of the screen that yellow around the highlighted units is transposed to the top and left sides of the display feild. Would like to use AA I can see a noticeable difference while using it but can live without it. I am running det drivers 29.42 anything higher seems to have lockups

My MSI GeForce3 Ti200 128mb card runs/supports 4xAA nicely with the 30.82 drivers, very smooooth!! gotta like it :D

KC

Not sure what drivers I use but my card is a Nvidia Gforce 2 Ultra "Quadratrine"

Anyhow with my setup I have to force the AA to x4 (oh darn) for it to work, but once that is set there is not need to use the ESC key or anything, just wonderful beautiful graphics.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Where did you get the 41.03s? I think they may have improved the FSAA over the 40.72s.

Treeburst155 out.

Just make a Google search with 'detonator 41.03'. There are many places.

BTW, it's currently only available for Windows NT/2000/XP

In my view the anisotropic filtering offers much more than a 5%, or 1% improvement in visual quality.

For CMBB I think AF is actually more important than FSAA. But the difference can't really been seen in screenshots, the real benefit of AF is apparent when you move round the map. Much less shimmering.