Hill 621

Hello all,

I am not much into designing scens but I had a question.

Does anyone remember the old Squad Leader scen Hill 621? I loved that scen...the large ridge, the few germans sqs, the few german tanks versus the 80 zillion, I counted, russian sqs.

My questions, does anyone remember that scen AND can someone who has time design that one?

Can't wait for CMBB!

thanks

Beckman

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAH, That was a cool scenario, and by cool, I mean totally sweet.

That was my fav SL scenario. I have it in the basement. I did make a CMBO scenario for it.

Tried to simulate ruskies by whacking all the 'toon HQs. It was ok, but not great.

My guess is I will be converting the exact moment after CMBB is finished installing.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Oh boy. I think I'll break out my copy of COI and start making requests. There were two or three I really wanted to play but never got to.

Michael

If you can scan the bottom of the box for me, I would appreciate it....

[ August 28, 2002, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

I did a Hill 621 map nearly two years just waiting for the moment the correct combatants would be finished and ready to fight over it. However, I hear it is not possible to import CMBO maps into CMBB. That may not be a bad thing though as there were things I wished the map editor did and I also wanted a larger selection of terrain. Had a lot of fun doing ASL remakes and several even saw the light of day on the now defunct ASL2CM site.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Oh boy. I think I'll break out my copy of COI and start making requests. There were two or three I really wanted to play but never got to.

Michael

If you can scan the bottom of the box for me, I would appreciate it....</font>

Originally posted by Harold:

However, I hear it is not possible to import CMBO maps into CMBB. That may not be a bad thing though as there were things I wished the map editor did and I also wanted a larger selection of terrain.

The hardest difficulty with converting the ASL mapboards to the world of CM is elevations. In SL, everything is very flat! I have seen some conversions where they made everything flat, I mean unless there was a hill or sunken lane, it was one big flat map. To me, that is both not realistic and no fun to play on! That eliminates all opportunities for hull down.

When I messed around with converting SL to CM, I both added some flavour to the elevation (without getting too hilly for a flat map) and the OOB. Some SL games were a lot of fun with SL, but are too small to be fun with CM. A lot of adjustments can be made to the map and OOB w/out changing the nature of the battle. I assume that this is what ASL veteran is going to do.

Chad

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I was looking on my hard drive for it; it may be archived on my old computer; my level of organization isn't up to standard.... I vaguely remember asking before but can't swear up and down that I got it....any chance of...ummmm....you know....

hehehe

No problem Michael, just let me dredge through my old documents and I'll see what I can find. If I don't have it, I can scan it for you tomorrow.

Bart

Wow, I am glad this thread took off. i wake up today to be insulted by the devious easy-v.

LOL.

Lots of pain felt by a snake eyes roll from a MMG as my last SS guys were about to exit and I was about to win.

I have the COI box if you need a scan.

I am glad I will be able to play this SCEN in CMBB.

you scen creators guys ROCK.

thanks

beckman

I just ordered CM:BO last week...looks like I'll be digging out the credit card again for CMBB.

My roommate in college used me as cannon fodder for SL/COI/ASL/ETC. I'm looking forward to seeing an adaption of the scenario...(drum roll)..

"The Paw of The Tiger"

Those tigers were kicking arse from 30 hexes!

I think the other scenario I enjoyed from SL was "Breakout" (??). German SS trying to clear a road for some trucks breaking out of a Russian encirclement.

Hill 621, Paw of the Tiger, Breakout from Borisov, etc. are all great, but what really gets my mouth watering is RED BARRICADES. I'm sure someone has made or will make an operation to depict the struggle over the Tractor Works and/or Red Barricades factories. smile.gif

I also can't wait to run around the map at full throttle with some BT-5s... :D

Redeker, I already have the Red Barricades map and a Stalingrad map by Critical Hit done for CMBO and will convert it to CMBB once it shows up. There is one scenario with around 100 inf per side. That one is going to be a hoot.

MikeT

Originally posted by MikeT:

Redeker, I already have the Red Barricades map and a Stalingrad map by Critical Hit done for CMBO and will convert it to CMBB once it shows up. There is one scenario with around 100 inf per side. That one is going to be a hoot.

MikeT

Cool. Thanks and Godspeed in your map/scenario conversion.

That's amazing that you mentioned Hill 621. That scenario was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the release date for the demo. Great scenario.

Did anybody here ever complete an entire Red Barricades campaign? We got about half way through, which took about a year, before the Russian player surrender to me. Great fun, but what a time investment...

Originally posted by Stryker:

That's amazing that you mentioned Hill 621. That scenario was the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard the release date for the demo. Great scenario.

Did anybody here ever complete an entire Red Barricades campaign? We got about half way through, which took about a year, before the Russian player surrender to me. Great fun, but what a time investment...

I got past the first five campaign game days with a friend (I was Russian, he was German) before my friend surrendered. It was largely leadership-based - my friend's leaders seemed to have helmets made out of newspaper, while my Russian officers and commissars had helmets made out of half-inch armor plate. All of my reinforcements seemed to be arriving intact, well-led, and with all their support weapons, while my friend's reinforcements were the opposite. By the end my leader/squad ratio was 1:4 (!), enough for at least a -1 leader on every MMG and a -2 on every HMG. Given that my friend's Germans had never really broken through my lines (only bent them a lot) he saw the writing on the wall and surrendered.

I knew a group of playtesters for RB... they spent a year of their lives getting it ready for production.

My favorite COI was Capture of Balta. I always wanted to see that one in ASL but never did. I think I checked out of the gerbil wheel of rules before it saw print. I'd love to see it in CMBB, and I imagine I will.

It's a fun week. I like it when we all revert to boyishness in the glee of anticipation.

I wonder who's going to set the world record for demo playing?

Battle for the Warta Line horror story:

We are playing with personal leaders and this was the first day of the war. My Polish opponent manages to light the stone building on board 3 on fire (the big one with the wall around it) and I have several broken SS squads burn to death because the woods are filled with wire and they can't escape. Later that same game the SS are mopping up the Polish remnants, so I take three SS squads into a Polish bunker occupied by a single Polish leader - who proceeds to mow down every SS man who enters the bunker!! :eek:

Glorious shot story: I am playing as British in some scenario set in Greece (I don't remember which one it was exactly and I'm too lazy to sort through the scenarios). A full German platoon is moving across some low hills in front of my Matilda tank - one AP round into the group wipes them all out! My opponent is furious :mad: exclaming over and over again "How can one AP round kill 30 men???" I had no answers other than laughter at his expense! :D

Chad - no, my conversions are as exact as possible. My boards will be flat. My friends are perfectionists and if there is any significant variation from the original they will complain and refuse to play it. :(

I plan on doing Breakout from Borisov first. smile.gif