Hill 621

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

Well, Ive done it. All my ASL stuff has been out for as long as I can remember, but all this talk about Hill 621 made me go and get out all my SL stuff. That will make a great conversion to CMBB for sure!!

Has anyone ever played 'A Winter Melee'? I dont recall playing that one, but ouch! 42 Russian squads (including the partisans) against only 10 german squads with no HMG's???? Has anyone won this one as the Germans?

Chad

Winter Melee could never be converted to CMBB - well, not precisely anyway. The Paratroops can't drop in and the Cossacks can't ride their horsies. :( . We have had numerous close fights with that one - the paratroopers usually get trapped out in the open ground with all those German halftracks peppering them from all angles. You just put a squad with a minus leader and an LMG in a halftrack and you cruise around with 10 firepower in a mobile pillbox. The cavalry suffers a similar fate. The partisans are a little more difficult cause they aren't very exposed to those tactics. If it gets too hot you can just button up and they can't touch ya ;) .

I was playing "Disaster on the Dneiper Loop" once and I had a flamethrower halftrack. Well I was saving it and saving it for the whole game because I just knew I would break it the first time I fired it. Finally on the next to last turn I drove up to a Soviet squad (I think it was a conscript squad even) and blasted him with some double barrelled flame action ...... BOXCARS!!!!! Could not believe my eyes. First shot and the thing is worthless!! :(

I managed to traumatize my friend for life in a game of "Bukrin Bridgehead". He had a German 10-3, the first one he ever had. He was sooo excited he could hardly contain himself talking about the great deeds his 10-3 was going to do. Well, I have this flak gun (I think it was like a quad 50 or somefink - I don't recall exactly) set up on this hill. First shot of the game I get a snake eyes on his 10-3 and turn him into powder!!! First shot of the entire game!! He is still disgusted about that shot more than 15 years later .... tongue.gif .

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just thought of an Uber Finn story from one of my games. It was in the scenario ... I think it was "The Borders are Burning" although it might not have been that one. It is the one with the Finnish Cavalry troops in the rear of the Finn positions with a small Border Guard detachment up on one half of board 4. Anyway, these border guards are Green Finn squads. I have like a battalion of Soviets with some tank support from some T26 tanks. This Finn border guard detachment manages to gun down all kinds (like two or three) of my squads moving in the open in front of the shack. I finally go up to the border guard shack and break his troops with concentrated firepower from all my rifle squads. I proceed to occupy the shack with a platoon of infantry.

This border guard squad had routed back to the woods behind the guard shack - but then he self rallies!! As if the act of self rallying wasn't enough, they storm back into the guard shack in that very movement phase and crush my whole Soviet infantry platoon in close combat!! He then takes out a nearby tank with a Klorihartsi AT Mine!! Finally I managed to gun these Finn devils down with an application of massive firepower, but my will to fight was pretty much broken :eek: . Finn Border Guards .... oh the humanity!!

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

Winter Melee could never be converted to CMBB - well, not precisely anyway. The Paratroops can't drop in and the Cossacks can't ride their horsies. :( . We have had numerous close fights with that one - the paratroopers usually get trapped out in the open ground with all those German halftracks peppering them from all angles. You just put a squad with a minus leader and an LMG in a halftrack and you cruise around with 10 firepower in a mobile pillbox. The cavalry suffers a similar fate. The partisans are a little more difficult cause they aren't very exposed to those tactics. If it gets too hot you can just button up and they can't touch ya ;)

I would actually really enjoy playing that one out now adays, but alas, I know not a sould around here who plays ASL. Tried to get my wife to try it out . . . well, I tried.

Chad

Patrick I did several ASL scenarios for the Frontovik mod (Russian front) for CMBO. I want to do more when CMBB arrives, I do wish the demo had a at least a map builder in it so I could get started.

Anyway, if you can get a hold of those scenarios drop them to me and I will work on them.

If interested you can download the Frontovik mod or simply the scenarios themselves at Combat Mission World. The link is below.

MikeT

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Runyan99:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blow2:

You will probably love a couple of the CMBB single-play scenarios and at least one operation, the Kruglowka Railway. Basically, it has about a company of GD dug in (trenches), across a fordable river from a battlion of Russians. The GD has minimal ammo and one 81mm FO, two 75mm inf guns and a 20mm flak gun. You have six battles to survive against about a Btn of Russians initially, another on Turn 2 and more tanks etc etc on the way. The Russians are conscripts, but that scream of 'oorra' and the Human Wave attacks really put the fear of God up you. That and the HUGE artillery. I have a review copy of CMBB, incidentally, about 90 per cent of the finished thing. You will love it - especially the morale rules, which mean you can drop arty on tanks and the crews may be cowardly enough to abandon them.

Hmm. I just read the account of that battle in Helmuth Spaeter's "History of the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland". I thought it sounded like an ideal operation, and I was going to design that one myself. Oh well, I guess I will just play it instead.</font>

Originally posted by Runyan99:

The date of the action at the Kruglowka Railway "level crossing' was 23-28 July 1941.

And Michael, that ASL splash-screen is pretty slick. I would suggest resizing the graphics slightly, so that the knight's cross does not intrude in the area for the buttons.

Thanks for the dates!

I find the splash screen fits the Demo very well - the buttons are lower in the demo splash screen cause there are only 3 of 'em. Actually, I kind of like keeping the swastika hidden behind the buttons, but you offer good advice. I'll fool with it some more when the full game comes out.

[ August 31, 2002, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by easy-v:

I really enjoyed playing "The Warta Line"

Do you remember that one Beckman ;)

[i'm not Beckman] That's a German-Polish

scenario, 6 September 1939. The early war Poles won't be in CMBB.

Maybe you're thinking of The Capture of Balta? (German pioneers and some Rumanian cannon fodder, the illustration was of a T-26 or other early-war Soviet tank)

I always liked Hill 621, Sowchos 79, and Hube's Pocket.

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by manchildstein II:

i would like to see the one in riga, 1941 where the german platoon is trapped in the tower, surrounde by russians and the other german units try to break in supported by a couple or three stug iiib. also there are t-34 turrets dug into the ground if memory serves...

Could you be thinking of "The Citadel"? That one is set in Brest Litovsk and is very close to what you are describing.</font>