If CMBB is really being released soon...

If CMBB was coming out on 22 June, wouldn't it have to go gold in the next few days?

I'm certainly not holding my breath. Battlefront.com hasn't let out the least indication that the release of this game is imminent. In fact, they've been scrupulously careful not to give that impression in any way. No cutesy hints or anything. That doesn't mean it's not going to happen, but color me doubtful. I think they could be more forthright about the current status of things, but they've also been firm about that policy as well, for better or worse.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I hate the waiting as much as anyone, the wait on CMBB is nothing compared to the wait for CMBO. I first learned of the game from an online gaming site about two years before it was ever released. Let me tell you, the wait was almost unbearable. It would be nice to see more screenshots, etc but we already know it's going to look great so why should BTS waste more time on screenshots when they can just use the time to finish the game and give us that instead?

Granted, the press on CM and CMBO is nothing compared to more mainstrean games like Quake 3 or Doom 3 but CM and CMBB are not exactly games for the mainstream. Granted, the command interface is certainly easy enough for non-grog, wargamers to learn and CM has attracted many who are not your traditional wargaming crowd. However, it is still more a game for a niche market rather than a game for the unwashed masses. Let's face it. You're never going to see Combat Mission X on the Xbox or Combat Mission 3 for the PS2 (thank God) or see figures/stuff dolls of Matt and the gang like you do for the Final Fantasy series. Many here learned about CM by word of mouth. All the awards CM has earned certainly proved to be invaluable advertising as well.

I hate to say this, but you are going to just have to wait like the rest of us. At least BTS lets us know how things are going every now and then when some other companies either say nothing at all about high anticipated games (Valve) or give screenshots that have been "enhanced" to superficially make it look better than it is. If anything, the screenshots have often been taken before other enhancements were added to the game so the game actually looks better than the screenshots.

You must read between the lines. Kwazy said that they are EXTREMLY busy and they don't have time to post screenshoots. If they would, they might not have enough time to put a vehicle in the game. What does that mean?

They say "it will be released when it's done", but that's not completely true. If that was true, they could put some new screenshoots and delay game for 2 days more. But they don't have time. They have one specific date (which I of course don't know) in their mind and that's why time constrains them!

If they had 4 months more left to release the game, there would be now more than enough time to post 3 new screenshots (it wouldn't make any real difference in schedule). But if they have only a few weeks left till release, they're in a hurry (believe me, I worked in projects, and everybody knows that: closer you are to finish it, harder you work). So logically... It will be soon and they don't really work anymore under the slogan "when it's done". Now the date is firm - but unfortunately we don't know it. Yet!

smile.gif

Originally posted by Porajkl:

You must read between the lines. Kwazy said that they are EXTREMLY busy and they don't have time to post screenshoots. If they would, they might not have enough time to put a vehicle in the game. What does that mean?

They say "it will be released when it's done", but that's not completely true. If that was true, they could put some new screenshoots and delay game for 2 days more. But they don't have time. They have one specific date (which I of course don't know) in their mind and that's why time constrains them!

If they had 4 months more left to release the game, there would be now more than enough time to post 3 new screenshots (it wouldn't make any real difference in schedule). But if they have only a few weeks left till release, they're in a hurry (believe me, I worked in projects, and everybody knows that: closer you are to finish it, harder you work). So logically... It will be soon and they don't really work anymore under the slogan "when it's done". Now the date is firm - but unfortunately we don't know it. Yet!

smile.gif

EXACTLY!

Seeee? SEEEE? I got it out of them, how hard was that? Now I'm happy.

Oh, and it takes an average of 2 weeks for games to be shipped out after they have gone gold, so don't think that the game should be shipping in the next few days, they still have time.

Ahhh, CMBB, Steel Beasts, and War 3 will keep me busy for quite a while. smile.gif

Hey guys, I just noticed something that could be a hint. Like others, at first I was enamoured with the whole June 22 release date idea. But now, I just don't think that is gonna happen, it just feels too early to me. However, I think Matt may have given us a hint to the mythical release date that BFC has in mind. OK, not an actual date, but a month. I am thinking it may be July. Why? Look down a few threads at the "Its Christmas in July, err, June" thread title. Sure, it could be an honest mistake--a slip of the tongue--but Matt edited the text of the message, why wouldn't he edit the title if it had really been a mistake? Perhaps he's giving us a clue, cloaking a reference to our "happy day" among talk of a winter mod set. This would be consistent with the impressions of imminence held by some, and possibly hinted at by the gang in all of their nose to the grindstone talk.

OK, that's my contribution to the conspiracy theory, YMMV. And in all honesty, I still think it won't come out until Autumn. Having experienced the original pre-CMBO (heck, pre-demo even) waiting period, I believe the gang won't release it until they feel it is good-and-ready, and they always have something else to tinker with.

Until then, relax, start up a new pbem, and take comfort in the knowledge that at least this time we have something more than three demo scenarios to hold us over.

[ June 05, 2002, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: jgdpzr ]

"Christmas in July" is a common advertising gimmic that companies use as an excuse to have a summer sale. Matt was just doing a play on words. The game probably is ready to be released on June 22, but now BFC has to spend time on meetings to revise the magazine advertisements, so it could be delayed by a few months.

Well, in addition to all the insightful analysis which has gone on above (particularly Mr. Speaker's decryption of Mr. Maddmatt's post;), my betting is for a late June or July release date based on the purported placement of the CMBB ad in a July magazine.

If this is correct (and I have know idea whether it is or isn't) it seems to be pretty strong proof. I recall someone at BTS saying a while back that they would not be taking pre-orders until release was imminent, if at all. It doesn't make much sense to spend ad money to entice buyers to your website if you aren't going to let them plunck down the change to by the game. (In addition, luring gamers to the site and then just turning them away seems counter-productive from a PR view)

Ergo, a July ad implies a July release date, if not earlier. Well, so much for my wishful thinking analysis, I'd better take a rest now, my head hurts after so much cogitating.

MrSpkr is a complete pillock. I folded an American 20 dollar bill and came up with the answer.

For me to tell you, just send me another US 20 dollar bill, and it is a done deal.

Michael Dorosh

Good Samaritan

1933 Refinery Road

Calgary, Alberta

T3C 3D9

pic03[1].gif

[ June 05, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The answer is here.

Steve

I like your theory better. Your astounding skill at deductive reasoning has convinced me that the July clue was just a starting point. Keep the hat, Ollie Stone's got nothing on you. And btw, I'm not sure which I find scarier: That we share some delusions, or that we share a first name. :D

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

MrSpkr is a complete pillock. I folded an American 20 dollar bill and came up with the answer.

For me to tell you, just send me another US 20 dollar bill, and it is a done deal.

If you fold a Canadian $100 bill do you get the same answer as if you had folded an American $20 bill?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Michael Dorosh

Good Samaritan

1933 Refinery Road

Calgary, Alberta

T3C 3D9

pic03[1].gif

Ahh, my Canadian friend, (where the men are men, and you can't really tell which are the women), I KNOW you are in league with those Battlefront.com scalawags. You are from Canada - they are from Maine (to the rest of us in the United States, its the same damn thing!) -- and yet you have an American twenty dollar bill[! WHo could have provided that currency to you?

Battlefront.com, of course. Note your postal code - T3C 3D9 - 'leet hacker code for "teced-9" - you are obviously a Tech-9 for Battlefront.com. NO, DON'T YOU DARE BOTHER DENYING IT!

Of course, your little ruse failed. You have, however unwittingly (as if a Canuck could act in any other manner), just confirmed the accuracy of my prior decryption.

The twenty dollar bill IS important - the number twenty, of course, being the number of days, INCLUDING TODAY, until the release = June 24, 2002.

More proof that I successfully decoded MadMatt's message. So there.

Steve

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The answer is here.

Steve

I like your theory better. Your astounding skill at deductive reasoning has convinced me that the July clue was just a starting point. Keep the hat, Ollie Stone's got nothing on you. And btw, I'm not sure which I find scarier: That we share some delusions, or that we share a first name. :D </font>

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hehe, and just for the record Ive been this busy for well over a year. No info on a release date is available yet, but Ill see if I can take one more screen shot for Matt to put up smile.gif

Dan

Did KwazyDog, in all his pleasant innocence, just shoot us all down?

Alright MrSpkr, Dan's given you new data to compute...get to work! We gotta know if this is confirmation, or a mere ploy to further obfuscate The Truth.

And what's with the Hoosier stuff? Your profile says you're an OU football fan. Hoosier hoops interest, alumnus, or are you just trying to yank this wildcat's chain? ;) Because if it is the latter, "Go Cards!" is far more offensive these days. I was even pulling for the Hoosiers through most of the tourney. UK fans particularly loved the humiliation IU handed Duke on our home court.

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hehe, and just for the record Ive been this busy for well over a year. No info on a release date is available yet, but Ill see if I can take one more screen shot for Matt to put up smile.gif

Dan

Did KwazyDog, in all his pleasant innocence, just shoot us all down?</font>