Concerned about the AI. Should I purchase

Originally posted by andrewsk:

Does it make single player not worth playing?

Since all I do is single player, and I've already dropped the hobbies of eating, sleeping, and hygiene, why, I guess I'd have to call it worth playing. If you want to give your spouse a good reason to divorce you, this is a really cheap way to go.

Yeah, sometimes it's a bit disappointing to see the AI do something dumbstupid, but that's a very minor beef when compared to the whole cow. The fact that the AI might sometimes goof up does not mean that you are going to be victorious in that battle without a severe challenge.

Eden

I'd guess 95% of my games are against the AI. As posters say, the AI isn't as skilled as a human, but that's not to say it isn't as fun as playing against a human.

It doesn't drop out of games or sulk when it's losing, gloat when it's winning, argue over whether your tactics are gamey, stop playing for two weeks while it goes on vacation...

I win the bulk of my games against the AI, but certainly not all of them. The AI can punish you if you do something stupid. I got absolutely hammered two days ago in a Quickbattle when I got cocky and advanced on a flank that I thought was covered. It wasn't, so I ran my bunched up infantry into a killing zone. My attack was basically broken up in the first five minutes.

Advice: If you like WWII tactical combat, buy it.

Here's my suggestion. The three of you pitch in to buy a single copy of CMBB. If you are already familiar with the interface, jump right in as Axis, and play the following scenario:

"A Deadly Affair"

If you do not find that scenario challenging against the AI, then you put the game up on Ebay.

One of us will be there soon to buy your copy.

Remember, there are some things that the AI can do better than you and I . I will never be as good at determining Hull Downs, etc. Also, with handicap, computer experience bonus, etc, there are plenty ways to help the AI opponent to be a extremely challenging opponent.

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Here's my suggestion. The three of you pitch in to buy a single copy of CMBB.

Now come on, you know that will never work.

They’ll kill each other before the postman returns with the next two…

Myself and 2 of my friends have all been seriously considering buying CMBB but after reading about all of the AI issues we are having some serious reservations.

I have read that the AI is hopeless at attacking, and that designing a scenario with the AI on the offensive is an excersize in frustration.

We will be playing 95% single player, so no "If you want a real opponent play a human" responses. smile.gif

How bad is it really? Does it make single player not worth playing? Will it be fixed in a patch?

I would appreciate any comments on the subject.

That was a GREAT suggestion buy one and try it.

All three of you pitch in.

Order one copy

Play it

Try it

Share it

With one copy you can play TCP/IP head to head

If the AI sucks so bad (which it surely does not) you think you did not get your money's worth then you can get some of your money back if you sell the game on E-Bay?

So how about it???

smile.gif

Are you going to order a copy now? :rolleyes:

-tom w

[ October 16, 2002, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Hehe, what's that movie... The one where the guy sees some neat looking chick, but for real it is some whale. Someone put a hex on him or somefink. I was gonna go see that too. :D [/QB]

WWII edition - Shallow Hans!

"Mein Panzer III/H is really a Königstiger!" :D

Myself and 2 of my friends have all been seriously considering buying CMBB but after reading about all of the AI issues we are having some serious reservations.

I have read that the AI is hopeless at attacking, and that designing a scenario with the AI on the offensive is an excersize in frustration.

We will be playing 95% single player, so no "If you want a real opponent play a human" responses. smile.gif

How bad is it really? Does it make single player not worth playing? Will it be fixed in a patch?

I would appreciate any comments on the subject.

What? You and two friends consider buying CMBB and don't plan to play against each other? Now that seems strange. :confused:

Seriously, the AI isn't really creative which hurts it on the attack. On the other hand I have heard quite a few complaints that "Yelnia Stare" in the CMBB demo was unwinable as the defender, so the AI can't be all that bad. Well, I won against the AI, but I don't want to know what would have happened if this scenario was a couple of turns longer...

Dschugaschwili

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Here's my suggestion. The three of you pitch in to buy a single copy of CMBB.

That's the the most irresponsible suggestion I have ever seen on these boards! How do you know one of them doesn't own a gun? Think for just a split second and picture what could happen when all three become addicts and fight over who gets the CD while waiting for the other two orders to arrive? YOU could be guilty of murder in the second degree (although it sounds more like negligent homicide). Perhaps you'd only be found liable for a wrongful death suit.

[ October 17, 2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: -E ]

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

So what are *you* guys gonna do with your $1.50 kickback? I think I'm going to get a caramel latte...

Caramel latte? You sick freak.

I'm going to put my $1.50 into a fund to buy you new tastebuds.

(Caramel latte... go figure. If you didn't have the good sense to appreciate CMBB I'd just put you on /ignore.)

Problem with CMBB's AI is that it lacks variety.

It always attacks using same routines.

You're pretty safe in defense if you just find the most covered place from the map and set up defenses around it, since AI will use the route with best cover with infantry.

Tanks usually comes separately from infantry and often seen them roaming to the target by roads, whether there is road around.

Sometimes couple tanks comes from other end, when AI has more than few tanks.

Hey, you've got 3 buddies who want to play. Play against them! CMBB's got a 'hot-seat' option that lets two people play against eachother on the same machine. Though it does get a bit annoying (like fingernails on a chalkboard) to hear "Can I look yet?" whined between every turn. ;)

the ai is not so bad at attacking provided a couple of things:

a) the scenario well thought-out (so the ai-controlled units move reasonably well)

B) the scenario is small

giving the ai large numbers of units - particularly vehicles - makes it more difficult to design playable scenarios...

as for attacking against the ai... designing those types of scenarios is somewhat easier...

so even if you never have a human opponent... this game is well worth the $45 u.s.....

By -E-

That's the the most irresponsible suggestion I have ever seen on these boards!
I didn't say it was good advice! When it comes to free advice, I am never willing to waste the loads of wisdom that I could impart! That costs extra... :D

the AI... It doesn't drop out of games or sulk when it's losing, gloat when it's winning, argue over whether your tactics are gamey, stop playing for two weeks while it goes on vacation...

That's all on the feature list for the engine rewrite.

It'll also occasionally suggest QB purchace rules with-intent-to-deceive and try to intimidate you by pointing out that it has a better record than you do in an online tournament.

[ October 18, 2002, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

I'm not really adding anything new to this thread, but I felt compelled to add my $0.02

Occasionally the computer AI can be classified as "above good" and, sometimes, you could even call it "poor" (a lot depends upon the parameters of the battle itself). In the vast majority of cases I would rate it a solid "respectable" or "good".

The AI will rarely surprise you with it's tactical brilliance, but it can (and will) beat you if you play poorly.

Out,

Volstag

[ October 18, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Volstag ]

Who buys CMBB to play against the AI? The reason so many of us are still playing this game, and are so addicted to it, is not beacuse we play against the AI, its because we play against each other! Destroying the AI's forces brings some pleasure. But watching a human opponents forces flee before you brings so much more joy! Get it just to beat your friends smile.gif

Chad