reasons why cm2 is not on my hard drive

Bought the game and played a few games, and it's a beauitful piece of work -- the graphics (except for the infantry), the historical accuracy, the new features, all wonderful. HOWEVER, unless the following have been fixed by the patch,i'm not going to play it much for the following reasons:

1. it runs too slowly, probably because of the new, high res grpahics. a 1125 pt battle zips along nicely in the old game, but a similar -sized battle requires a noticably longer "crunch time" for the ai;

2. for some reason, quick battles (and that's about all i have time for)place objective at the far end of the map, and the opfor units primarily deploy right in front of the objectives. thus, the battle doesn't reaally begin until you've reached the end of the map, and that doesn't leave much room for manuever and tactics.

3. although i'm an american, i'm a hopeless anglofile, and the irish guard didn't fight on the east front... or perhaps with some clever mod work... :>

at any rate, does anyone else share these concerns?

"Fire the purple smoke! Fire the purple smoke!"

Originally posted by sean butler:

1. it runs too slowly, probably because of the new, high res grpahics. a 1125 pt battle zips along nicely in the old game, but a similar -sized battle requires a noticably longer "crunch time" for the ai;

I'm sorry, sean, but I don't follow here as to what you mean by "slow crunch time" for the AI. I've now played CMBB repeatedly at comparable point levels to what you're saying, and from earlier play in CMBO, there didn't seem to be much difference to me. What I do know that slows up calculations a bit are intense combat and long-range ordnance fire, but that was an issue with CMBO too. BTW, according to the documentation on v1.01, the "calculation speed" is supposed to be improved. Check the following:

CMBB Patch 1.01 Readme

Or, more directly,

"Action computation is about 15% faster"

3. although i'm an american, i'm a hopeless anglofile, and the irish guard didn't fight on the east front... or perhaps with some clever mod work... :>

There's always CMBO if your interest for gaming the UK side is too daunting. While I'd personally like for CMBB standards to be applied to an interim new "West Front" game, Apparently we'll have to wait for a whole new CM game engine, some day in the future, to come back to this.

[ November 22, 2002, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Spook ]

1. I understand the processing time on the new patch might be something like 15% faster, but the processing speed has never bothered me. I'm running a measley 300mhz G3 mac and as long as I avoid HUGE battles I do fine.

2. I think the QB map flagss are placed in different locations depending on whether you're assaulting or its a meeting engagement. but if QB maps aren't to your liking there's a growing pile of stand-alone maps with flags already in place for you to use.

3. Hopeless Anglophile? It's because of the Spice Girls, isn't it. You can admit it. How can you be expected to work up interest for any country that doesn't have the Spice Girls!

Just have a book or a magazine handy...

Oddly enough, CMBB runs faster on my machine than CMBO did. I have no mods and am currently playing a huge scenario. It runs quite well. I have a PIII 700 with 128 MB RAM and the obligatory hamster providing power to my hard drives.

I recommend the Stalingrad Pack to anyone who is disillusioned by CMBB. That is what you truly need.

You may think because it's improved, that it should be slower. Right? Delve into the goodness of the Stalingrad Pack and realize what you've been missing all of these years.

The Stalingrad Pack gives you what you need when you need it. It fulfills all those secret desires and runs quite smoothly.

I was an empty shell waiting for fulfillment until the Stalingrad Pack came into my life. Try it, and quit b*tching about CMBB.

I find it odd that you're not playing CMBB because of reasons YOU can control:

1. get a new computer with more ram and a better video card. All I have is a 1.5 P4 with a 64meg video card and the game runs beautifully. This type of machine should cost you $400 at the most.

2. Try playing meeting engagements or maps with less obstructions.

3. I love playing as the Americans but I very much appreciate all of the nationality choices in CMBB. Just get over the fact that this is the East Front. BFC isn't releasing the code to the public, so there won't be any force modding...ever!

Originally posted by Spook:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sean butler:

I'm sorry, sean, but I don't follow here as to what you mean by "slow crunch time" for the AI. I've now played CMBB repeatedly at comparable point levels to what you're saying, and from earlier play in CMBO, there didn't seem to be much difference to me. What I do know that slows up calculations a bit are intense combat and long-range ordnance fire, but that was an issue with CMBO too. BTW, according to the documentation on v1.01, the "calculation speed" is supposed to be improved. Check the following:

CMBB Patch 1.01 Readme

THER'S A PATCH OUT FOR CMBB ALREADY ?? HOW COME I MISSED IT - NOT ANYWHERE IN THE BF SUPPORT OR ANY OTHER AREA I CAN SEE, WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD IT PLEASE

Or, more directly,

"Action computation is about 15% faster"

There's always CMBO if your interest for gaming the UK side is too daunting. While I'd personally like for CMBB standards to be applied to an interim new "West Front" game, Apparently we'll have to wait for a whole new CM game engine, some day in the future, to come back to this.</font>

I wasn't aware CMBB could run on a commodore 64.

Regardless, I think the majority of us don't have a speed option unless really large battles are played with high graphic settings.

2. for some reason, quick battles (and that's about all i have time for)place objective at the far end of the map, and the opfor units primarily deploy right in front of the objectives. thus, the battle doesn't reaally begin until you've reached the end of the map, and that doesn't leave much room for manuever and tactics.
Learn to love the 'meeting engagement'.

3. although i'm an american, i'm a hopeless anglofile, and the irish guard didn't fight on the east front... or perhaps with some clever mod work.

Blasphemer!!! The Eastern Front is where it ALL happened! ;)

Mace