Comments on CMAK Companion

I'm the author/editor of the CMAK Companion. Battlefront would like to add a "Reviews" page to the CMAK Companion section of the website, so I thought I'd ask those of you who have purchased the book if you could post some comments/reviews in this thread.

Thanks,

Tom Reiter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Tom.

Do you mean the Batter Commander book?

If so, I really enjoyed the book. I could not put it down, and had it read within a few days.

I found myself wishing for some maps to accompany each tactical engagement, but it did not ruin it for me.

Overall a very entertaining read. Inspired me to look up more histories.

Thank you,

KFS

Tom

Three quarters of the way through..and enjoying it. I can pick it up...read a couple of items..and come back to it later. Some interesting articles and well chosen.

Only downside so far are the included maps...virtually unreadable...very blurred.

Apart from that...good work!

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback.

The points on the maps are well taken--I would have liked to include more maps covering the tactical engagements described in the excerpts, but very few of the source materials included this type of map. And while the strategic maps that were included turned out to be fuzzier than I had hoped, I found them to be readable (with difficulty) and better than the alternative (no maps at all).

I should add that one reason I didn't go with other/more maps is that I found it very difficult to track down the rightsholders for many of the books I wanted to use--many publishers have folded, merged, etc. over the last half-century, and tracking down individual authors (of books written 20-30-40 years ago) generally took many months, and sometimes proved impossible. Moreover, the copyrights to the maps were often held by someone other than the author, so tracking down these people to obtain their permission to use the maps would have been even more difficult. In retrospect, I would have spent less time trying to track down rightsholders and more time trying to find exxcellent public domain maps...

Regarding HeinzBaby's comment about a SNAFU with quality control--I think you're saying that you didn't like the use of the Courier font instead of Times Roman? The use of Courier was in fact a conscious (albeit somewhat controversial) decision which was intended to help convey the notion that you were reading after-action reports banged out on a field typewriter. Again, in retrospect, maybe I would have decided differently, but that was the idea at the time. So if you don't like the Courier font, please chalk it up to poor editorial judgement on my part rather than a quality-control issue.

Tom

Hello Tom,

as a graphic and designer myself, I'll pick up the thread from the 'Courier' notation: I appreciate the idea, but then it should have been implemented in the page format and on the 'backdrop decorations' as well, possibly adding more of the 'field' atmosphere...

I enjoy the reading: I'm very fond about the first hand experiences in any times' history. It really gives you a more understandable perspective on the bigger picture. Furthermore, expecially when war is involved, it usually unveils the real misery that war is, and ultimately pours a light on higher human values, like pity, brotherhood, sameness of feelings, in spite of the different uniforms and theaters...

Regarding this last thought, I found a bit 'out of tone' as you pick up the recollections of someone, sometime talking about someone else' without let the reader get familiar with the characters... But this is surely only a slight notation I make... Do you know there are quite a few sites on the web from veterans (like 'Wild' Bill Guarnere) or other sites that are working collecting the testimonials of survivors (like the Drop Zone) that may be a real source of interest in this respect, the personal perspective of the battlefields...

Good Job.

Thanks.

Diego

[ April 21, 2005, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Gen Von Television ]

Ive been buying only the good first hand WW II histories for almost 20 years now and the CMAK companion is one of my favorites. First hand accounts and intelligent and knowledgleable introductions to each chapter make this work appealing to newbies and grognards. Sometimes I think that the computer crowd assumes too much of its players/customers. The old board stuff came with great players manuals that taught people about the background of its games. It introduced people to the hobby and encouraged further reading.

• 2 weeks later...

A great big Bravo for this book. I have always wanted a book that compiled personal battlefield recollections, especially those that describe the tactics used.

I made the Courier, typewriter connection immediately, and loved it.

One criticism though, this book needs some heavy editing. As mentioned above, it is easy to loose the narrative thread. I understand your desire to keep the feel of the authentic, first person story telling. But good editing can keep the reader on track and maintain the authenticity (not an easy task of course).

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Breakthrough:

Ive been buying only the good first hand WW II histories for almost 20 years now and the CMAK companion is one of my favorites.

Could you give me your "top 10 fave" list of these first hand histories -- ETO ground war (I've got MacDonald and Sajer).

Many thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent book - particularly enjoying the accounts of the Battle for Crete. No problem with the Courier font - made the connection there. Further comments: are you going to compile another? *grin* Also, citing your references means that we can all delve deeper into the history. Lovely.

• 2 months later...

Cool, I'm really talking to the author?

It's one of my favorite WW2 books....proven by the fact that it sits on the bookshelf in my bathroom next to the commode. Not many books get that honor, and they usually have to have short chapters in them ;~)

So, my honest opinion -- I like the short story/after action report format. I like your sources...some are my alltime favorites (Brazen Chariots, etc), and others were brand new to me....more new books to pick up! The courier font bugged me at first, until I got into it and caught the battlefield typewriter idea...it's not HARD to read, it's just different....took me back to my elementary school days before personal computers---now everyone has proportional instead of monospaced fonts and we are all used to them. They didn't have proportional spaced fonts during WW2, except on the linotype machine for Stars and Stripes! Blurry maps, but you already knew that. Personally I'd like about 10 times more maps -- one for each major battle report....which wouldv;e been impossible I'm sure.

Damn fine job on your book! I just re-read another story today while on the can, since I'm preparing for a brutal Thanksgiving day TCP/IP game tomorrow that was covered in one of your stories. I wish I had the time to spend on researching musty WW2 archives like you did -- it would be a labor of love.

DANBOB

Dear danbob:

Thanks for the kind words; I am very proud that my humble volume has earned an honored place in your personal reading sanctuary. Good luck in the game; the idea for the book was that people would actually be able to apply the tactics, etc. described in the book to their gameplay.

Happy Turkey Day!

Tom

Well, I haven't seen this comment anywhere, so I'll stick in my two cents (remembering that I'm only through about the 1st half).

I think the book is a tad unbalanced. If the reader isn't somewhat familiar with the overall campaign, the groupings of individual narratives gives one the sense that the British are constantly winning. I think the problem is the lack of overall context; maybe a page should have been spent alongside each map, giving a quick overview.

Another problem is the perceived comparative lack of German and Italian accounts. I would think that there are enough English translations available that I don't understand why they haven't been included.

Dear Beady:

Thanks for your comments. In response:

1) The companion was never really intended to provide an overall history of the Mediterranean campaigns, but rather a series of snapshots of tactical encounters similar to what would be encountered in CMAK. That said, a few people have mentioned this point, and if I do any future volumes I would probably include more of a summary (very summary) covering the operational/strategic context of the tactical engagements.

2) I agree that the readings are weighted toward the English/American sides, much more so that I would have liked. But I had two problems: first, I had a hard time finding readings I liked in the various German/Italian materials that I found (and frankly, I didn't find all that many, especially for the Italian theater. Second, the bigger problem was that it is much harder than you might expect to find the orignal copyright holders for a lot of this material, and to get permission to reprint even if you found them. This was really, really hard, and I had a couple of great source books that ultimately I had to abandon because I couldn't get permission...

Hope you enjoy the book anyway!

Regards,

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

I just received my copy yesterday afternoon. Thanks - just what I needed - a new addiction :D . Great book, very informative and I like the style of different fonts used for the descriptions vs. reports. Well worth the money, and I am looking forward to getting into some of the scenarios that go with it. Good job!

• 2 weeks later...

76mm,

While I haven't yet had the pleasure of reading your book, if there is a future edition of the book

you may wish to take a look at Wolf Heckmann's ROMMEL'S WAR IN AFRICA (Konecky & Konecky) for a plethora of great anecdotes and the like from all sides. So thorough is the coverage that you can read about the same incident through both German and British eyes. I suspect part of the reason for this may be that the book was first published in German, then translated. Many of the bibliographic sources are in German.

Regards,

John Kettler