Comments on CMAK Companion

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ordered the complete bundle (CMBB, CMAK, CMBB Strat. Guide and CMAK Comp.) in november, but I've been so busy finding out stuff in CMBB that I haven't had any chance to try CMAK, let alone the scenarios for the Companion. However, I have read parts of the book and every time I started to read it grabbed me so well, time just flew by!

Great job, will certainly read the whole of it in a short while!

• 3 months later...

Zalgiris,

Hi, I'm the editor of the CMAK Companion, so I'm probably the best, if not the most objective, person to tell you what it is about.

The companion is basically a collection of accounts of CMAK-level tactical combat in North Africa, Crete, Sicily, and Italy. The accounts come from about about two dozen sources and describe actions by US, British, German, Kiwi, Aussie, Italian, and Gurkha troops. The intent of the Companion was to allow CMAK players to get a better idea of what tactical combat was like in the WWII Med theater. The main difference from most WWII history books is that the accounts in the CMAK Companion focus purely on tactical-level actions--ie, it is not a historical narrative of any particular campaign(s)--it only addresses tactical level actions. Before each account I've written a brief commentary to provide context, etc.

I think you can get a decent idea of the reaction to the book on this thread. Hope this was helpful!

Regards,

76mm

Selling for over $100?? Gee, I think the book is pretty good but I hope no one pays near that much for it...

It is also on sale on Amazon for $20 new, and I noticed that someone was selling a used copy for $54 at one point. Pretty weird.

76mm

Yeah true 76mm over $100 at a particular millitary book store that I used to frequent in the CBD of Melbourne which has since closed down earlier this year, fortunately I found a better big cheaper one again as it had moved. Thanks for the other suggestions 76mm, I'll look in to them. (Sorry yeah but as good as the companion book is I didn't think it was worth paying that much for it either.)

[ August 24, 2005, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Zalgiris 1410 ]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lofeasy,

Umm, which game do you mean, CMAK? (this thread is actually for the CMAK Companion, which is a book rather than a game).

CMAK has been available for a couple of years online from Battlefront, not sure if it is in retail. Battlefront is also working on CMx2, based on a whole new engine, which will probably be out next year some time. So not sure which game you're asking about...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If anybody has a used copy they want to get rid of, let me know, I'd be interested in picking one up.

Oh, Tom, if you want to send me a review copy, that would be great too. I'll send you my snail mail address if you like.

http://www.bookdigger.com/childrens_books_genre/b/Batman/The_Battery_Commander_His_Batman_and_a_Cook_097493660X.htm

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-battery-commander-his-batman-and-a-cook_W0QQitemZ8372972475QQcategoryZ101044QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Tom,

I'm reading Chapter 78, Let the Bloody Black Bastards Come. I was trying to locate Takrouna on a map and also fix a date to this battle.

Can you help me out? I was hoping to locate this area on Google Earth. Based on the section of the book, it should be Tunisia. Google has roughly 50% of Tunisia mapped with the higher definition satelite photos.

And did anyone ever come up with a list of scenarios based on your book?

Thanks,

Bannon

Bannon,

I'll have to dig out the books to tell you where Takrouna is--I don't recall. I will try to do so today.

As to scenarios, BFC arranged for a number of scenarios based on the book to come out about the same time as the book, but I don't recall exactly which ones; I think you should find a list if you search the forum.

Bannon:

took a look for Takrouna. unfortunately I don't have those research materials anymore, but the account in the book does mention that Takrouna is 4 miles west of Enfidaville, along the Enfidaville-Zaghouan road; I found both of those towns on Google Earth and found what looks to be "the rock" sort of NW of Enfidaville (couldn't really figure out how to measure scale on Google Earth, so can't be sure). Check it out...

If you need more info, the New Zealand history cited in the book is actually available on the Web, very cool.

Originally posted by 76mm:

Bannon:

took a look for Takrouna. unfortunately I don't have those research materials anymore, but the account in the book does mention that Takrouna is 4 miles west of Enfidaville, along the Enfidaville-Zaghouan road; I found both of those towns on Google Earth and found what looks to be "the rock" sort of NW of Enfidaville (couldn't really figure out how to measure scale on Google Earth, so can't be sure). Check it out...

If you need more info, the New Zealand history cited in the book is actually available on the Web, very cool.

Thanks, Tom. I found the area. smile.gif Too bad those are lower resolution photos. For measurements, go to the "tools" menu. Then "measure." Bing.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Mudhugger:

I'm always late with these things, but since the thread is still here, I must say I am enjoying your book very much. I just finished Chapter 51: There Are No Enemy Forces In Your Area. Wonderful. Makes me smile to think how some things never change.

Based on that chapter title, I think if (more likely when) I order CMAK, I will also get the companion ; >

• 2 months later...

76mm,

I finished the book months ago, but distractions with sharp teeth have kept me from providing the promised feedback until now.

First of all, what I really like about the book is its breadth, exposing me, at least, to many engagements and forces of which I knew little or nothing. I congratulate you on presenting much more than than just a U.S. centric view.

It was great to see such forces as the Maori and the South Africans in battle. Has the Brazilian embassy called to complain its troops weren't included? I saw 442nd video comment post recently over on YouTube in which the grandson of one of the Brazilian soldiers posted about what he'd been told of the fighting in Italy.

Second, I really like the great span and depth of tactical detail, but I must say that a glossary would be a big help when it comes to chunks of the foreign military (CW) jargon. Was able to puzzle out some of it, but the rest went over my head.

Third, while the book does a great job of describing the actions, the near total absence of tactical diagrams and maps hurts the reader's comprehension. Cool cover!

Speaking of maps, if there's another edition, please put them through a Sharpen routine. Tough to read!

While we're on readability, I understand the logic behind Courier, but it seems to me that the ancillary text shouldn't be more easily read than the primary text. If you want Courier, please bold it. Present form's spindly, hard to read with bifocals and even semi-tired eyes!

Fourth,

Something very significant to the period was the arrival of the Grant on the scene, but there was no real discussion of what the Germans called the "skyscraper on tracks" from either side. I know such accounts exist, for I have one in Jarrett's WEST OF ALAMEIN by a British Squadron commander who fought at Gazala. Was disappointed, too, though a much more difficult problem for you, to see so little on the Italians in combat. Carrell's book, for example, describes how well the Italian artillery, firing flak guns much the way the 88 was handled, fought at Halfaya Pass, and the MBI book FIGHTING THE DESERT FOX has quite an account of an Italian armor and ATG force, including the 90mm da canon, savaging a British force. For extra grog points, what did the Italian gunners using German supplied 88s achieve

in battle? Would've killed for a Semovente story or something on the L.R.D.G./S.A.S. hunting Forza Sahariana!

Fifth, I think you would be well advised, if your contract with BFC permits, to consider formally publishing an expanded edition of your wonderful book, a version in which the concerns raised have been addressed, and some well chosen pics are added. I think it would do well and would look good next to another such compilation I have called MEN IN BATTLE, though yours is already twice as thick as the slim volume I have.

I enjoyed your book immensely, despite my issues with it. I hope that you get the chance to really knock it out of the park before a mass audience in a full-blown hardback with all the bells and whistles. If you go that route, you might find the U,s. 1st AD's history of considerable interest. Full of grog juiciness, to include an AAR on an armored battle fought in the olive groves of Tunisia.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 18, 2008, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Dear John,

Thank you very much for taking the time to read the book and provide your detailed comments. I've responded IN CAPS below:

Originally posted by John Kettler:

First of all, what I really like about the book is its breadth, exposing me, at least, to many engagements and forces of which I knew little or nothing. I congratulate you on presenting much more than than just a U.S. centric view.

I TRIED VERY HARD TO INCLUDE AS MANY NATIONALITIES AS POSSIBLE, AND GENERALLY SUCCEEDED I BELIEVE, BUT WOULD HAVE LIKED TO INCLUDE MORE ABOUT THE ITALIANS, THE AUSSIES, AND THE POLES (IN ITALY). TWO ISSUES HERE: IT WAS HARDER THAN YOU WOULD THINK TO FIND GOOD MATERIAL TO QUOTE FOR THE BOOK, AND IT WAS MUCH HARDER (AND MORE EXPENSIVE) THAN YOU WOULD THINK TO GET THE RIGHTS TO PRINT SUCH MATERIALS. I HAD SOME REALLY GOOD STUFF ABOUT THE POLES IN ITALY AND SOME OTHER STUFF THAT I COULDN'T REPRINT BECAUSE I COULDN'T FIND THE AUTHOR OR PUBLISHER, OR THEY WOULD GIVE ME RIGHTS.

Second, I really like the great span and depth of tactical detail, but I must say that a glossary would be a big help when it comes to chunks of the foreign military (CW) jargon. Was able to puzzle out some of it, but the rest went over my head.

AGREED, RAN INTO PAGE CONSTRAINTS AND DECIDED TO INCLUDE MORE MATERIAL RATHER THAN A GLOSSARY.

Third, while the book does a great job of describing the actions, the near total absence of tactical diagrams and maps hurts the reader's comprehension. Cool cover!

AGREED, BUT MOST OF THE UNDERLYING MATERIALS LACKED MAPS, AND I COULDN'T JUST MAKE THEM UP.

Speaking of maps, if there's another edition, please put them through a Sharpen routine. Tough to read!

AGREED.

While we're on readability, I understand the logic behind Courier, but it seems to me that the ancillary text shouldn't be more easily read than the primary text. If you want Courier, please bold it. Present form's spindly, hard to read with bifocals and even semi-tired eyes!

GOT SOME COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE FONT; LESSON LEARNED.

Fourth,

Something very significant to the period was the arrival of the Grant on the scene, but there was no real discussion of what the Germans called the "skyscraper on tracks" from either side. I know such accounts exist, for I have one in Jarrett's WEST OF ALAMEIN by a British Squadron commander who fought at Gazala. Was disappointed, too, though a much more difficult problem for you, to see so little on the Italians in combat. Carrell's book, for example, describes how well the Italian artillery, firing flak guns much the way the 88 was handled, fought at Halfaya Pass, and the MBI book FIGHTING THE DESERT FOX has quite an account of an Italian armor and ATG force, including the 90mm da canon, savaging a British force. For extra grog points, what did the Italian gunners using German supplied 88s achieve

in battle? Would've killed for a Semovente story or something on the L.R.D.G./S.A.S. hunting Forza Sahariana!

WOULD HAVE LIKED TO INCLUDE ALL THIS STUFF AND MORE, BUT EITHER 1) OVERLOOKED IT; 2) DECIDED RIGHTLY OR WRONGLY TO REPLACE IT WITH SOMETHING ELSE; OR 3) COULDN'T GET RIGHTS.

Fifth, I think you would be well advised, if your contract with BFC permits, to consider formally publishing an expanded edition of your wonderful book, a version in which the concerns raised have been addressed, and some well chosen pics are added. I think it would do well and would look good next to another such compilation I have called MEN IN BATTLE, though yours is already twice as thick as the slim volume I have.

UNFORTUNATELY, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. TOO BUSY RIGHT NOW WITH OTHER STUFF.

I enjoyed your book immensely, despite my issues with it. I hope that you get the chance to really knock it out of the park before a mass audience in a full-blown hardback with all the bells and whistles. If you go that route, you might find the U,s. 1st AD's history of considerable interest. Full of grog juiciness, to include an AAR on an armored battle fought in the olive groves of Tunisia.

SOMEDAY, HOPEFULLY ANOTHER BOOK, BUT IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT.