no desert fog for ATI folks?

hi first of all this game is awesome. second of all i read that ATI cards do not support fog table emulation so fog cannot be displayed. Will this be fixed? is the fog even that important or good looking? i did notice that this game looks a bit better than cmbb. only a little bit better though. i would like to get the all of the new features of this game though. oh well its just a minor prob.

thanks

Originally posted by sgt.biyatch:

hi first of all this game is awesome. second of all i read that ATI cards do not support fog table emulation so fog cannot be displayed. Will this be fixed? is the fog even that important or good looking? i did notice that this game looks a bit better than cmbb. only a little bit better though. i would like to get the all of the new features of this game though. oh well its just a minor prob.

thanks

It will not be fixed. The problem is with ATI drivers rather than the game.

Steve

When are you ATI diehards going to wake up and smell the coffee? Haven't you noticed, on other game boards, there's usually a subforum devoted exlusively to ATI issues: headaches, anomalies, incompatibilities, and general handwringing anguish? There's a pattern here. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by PeterX:

Haven't you noticed, on other game boards, there's usually a subforum devoted exlusively to ATI issues: headaches, anomalies, incompatibilities, and general handwringing anguish? There's a pattern here. :rolleyes:

Yes there is, a pattern of not hiding ones head in the sand saying there is nothing wrong with my Video card. nVidia have many issues with many games. However, it has been my understanding that nVidia die hards have a head in the sand approach to thier cards and quick to lay the boot into any other, especially now that ATI kicks nVidia ass in performance and image quality.

I do not profess that ATI do not have issues, but it is about time you stopped flogging a dead horse and relise that nVidia is only a manufacturer of GPU's and as the recent driver issues (both video and motherboard), image quality issues and down right cheating indicates nVidia is far from reproach.

These are not fighting words, just my point of view on the ATI/nVidia 'wars'.

I do not profess that ATI do not have issues
I heard they're holding a support clinic at the Betty Ford Center for you guys. It's in the Radeon Room.

All kidding aside, don't get stroppy, ATI makes some great performing cards. Think of it as buying a Lamborghini Countach- in both the good and not so good sense.

(Must find something constructive to do this afternoon....)

[ November 22, 2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: PeterX ]

ATI seem to have forgotten about it after the Retail Radeon for the Mac...

fogscreen.jpg

Just a tease for those that don't have it, but also a lot of scenario designers hardly seem to use fog anyway due to it being 'missing'. :(

[ November 22, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

I just bought a Nvidia 5950 - it's superb for Combat Mission. I have had several ATi cards in the past, my last being a 9800Pro. The AF was brilliant in CM but the lack of fog really got my goat. It adds heaps of atmosphere to the game.

god bless your tech mass consumption

you buy new hardware so fast i think single handily you'll be able to keep several hardware suppliers afloat ;)

Originally posted by easytarget:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

I just bought a Nvidia 5950 - it's superb for Combat Mission. I have had several ATi cards in the past, my last being a 9800Pro. The AF was brilliant in CM but the lack of fog really got my goat. It adds heaps of atmosphere to the game.

god bless your tech mass consumption

you buy new hardware so fast i think single handily you'll be able to keep several hardware suppliers afloat ;) </font>

I just recently switched from a GeForce4 Ti4200 to a Radeon 9600. All I can say is I do miss the fog. In fact it's such an annoyance to me not to be able to play in fog that I'm still contemplating switching to a more powerful GeForce4. A hard dilemma for me since it's not like I play fogged missions on a regular basis. To keep or not to keep? Personal preferrence I guess but I can say it sucks not having that fog. And I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but what's it going to take for ATI to support fog emulation tables for their Radeon cards? It still amazes me that a technical issue like this has not been addressed in the years that CMBO and CMBB have been out.

• 1 month later...

I've been very disappointed with the way CMAK won't display fog with my Radeon. I loaded up a scenario set in Africa during a supposed standstorm, but it looked like a clear, sunny day. Sort of defeats the point.

Odd that BTS blames ATI drivers (lack of fog table emulation) when many other games of mine display fog, mist, etc. just fine with my Radeon, presumably via a different method. These games look great and run like a charm when displaying fog.

Why didn't BTS take the time to fix the game so it would run with all features for the many people who have ATI cards? They knew this was an issue long ago. Seems lazy or indifferent of them--hardly adjectives I'd associate with BTS in the past. Sure, it might not have been an easy fix, but excellence--something I often have associated with BTS--is rarely easy.

[ December 29, 2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]

Originally posted by sgt.biyatch:

i did notice that this game looks a bit better than cmbb. only a little bit better though...

You should download some mods for CMBB. CMAK's got nothing on my heavily modded CMBB world. I'd have to give the looks edge to CMBB on my machines right now. I'm sure the fanatical modders will catch up on CMAK within the next six months though. I've already downloaded some really good CMAK mods.

This is an old issue and one in which I don't feel like going over YET AGAIN, but I guess I have to.

Other games use Vertex based fog which was not appropriate for a game with maps as large as CM. Remember, maps in CM are often several Square MILES in size and that would put too heavy a strain on most peoples systems. Mosat wargamers do NOT have FX 5950 or 9800 XT cards in their systems.

ATI has said they have no intention of adding Fog Table emulation to their current Windows drivers. For whatever reason, their Mac drivers do support fog tables.

In the future engine (CMX2) will be using various new technique for fog (and all the other graphics as well) so that this issue will finally be put to rest.

As to the Nvidia vs. ATI debate. This year I recently built a new testing system and it has a 9800 card in it. While I don't get fog either, the pro's and power on this card simple crush what I used to get in my Nvidia cards. With the 3.10 drivers I have had zero stability issues with any of my games. If someone were to come up to me today and ask which card would I recommend, after having owned the top end cards from both companies I would have NO hesitation recommending the Radeon. And this is coming from someone that was a loyal Nvidia guy for years.

The truth is, (and I never thought I would say it) the Radeon is simply a better card.

As to the lack of displayed fog affecting the gameplay? Yeah right. Most people toggle off the fog anyway so they can see their units. It's no different than turning up the unit scale, the bases or tree density.

Madmatt