Is CMAK revolutionary, evolutionary or neither or both?

Originally posted by JohnCalvin:

I haven't purchased it yet and honestly I have gobs of battles ahead of me in CMBB. So what should I expect of CMAK? It is revolutionary or evolutionary in design? Or more of the same (which isn't a knock btw)?

You buy it anyway. :D

I would put it this way:

CMBO: revolutionary

CMBB: revolutionary

CMAK: evolutionary--but still the best game of the three

CMAK doesn't involve radical changes over CMBB, but it does incorporate a lot of subtle improvements. Moreover, it gives you more different kinds of terrain than any previous game--desert, Tunisian rocky hills, and Italian (read European). And it gives you the full kit (or almost) of all the the western nations. If you have any urge to play with the western forces again, that's enough reason to get CMAK.

When CMBB fist came out some board members lamented bitterly the early-war Soviet command hit; and the lack of English speaking voices; and the M3 Lee missing from the game; and the total lack of New Zealand troops in Russia. CMAK corrects those oversights, provides a more polished product, and doesn't mess-up the great CM eengine in the process.

I do chuckle at people agonizing over buying CMAK as though it were a house purchase or something. Sunday I bought two pillows for my couch and the cost exceeded the price of a CMAK disk by a third! So you decide - do you buy a 3-D Med. theater wargame that spans 5 years, or do you spend the same money on 1 1/2 throw pillows.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I would put it this way:

CMBO: revolutionary

CMBB: revolutionary

CMAK: evolutionary--but still the best game of the three

CMAK doesn't involve radical changes over CMBB, but it does incorporate a lot of subtle improvements. Moreover, it gives you more different kinds of terrain than any previous game--desert, Tunisian rocky hills, and Italian (read European). And it gives you the full kit (or almost) of all the the western nations. If you have any urge to play with the western forces again, that's enough reason to get CMAK.

Umm...what he said smile.gif .

//Salkin

Trying to blend in with the grogs

CMAK is the better game, IMHO. BFC reduced a lot of questionable combat delays, among other things the vehicle turn rate and apparently the bog rate. Then you lack some of the intended delays like the pre-44 russian penality and the super-slow Russian artillery.

Overall, CMAK plays much better, and more realistic, IMHO. I believe the more symmetric warfare with the Western Allies is a lot easier to model and I didn't like some of the penalities chosen for CMBB to model the imbalance.

Plus there's the fortification victory point bug in CMBB.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

When CMBB fist came out some board members lamented bitterly the early-war Soviet command hit; and the lack of English speaking voices; and the M3 Lee missing from the game; and the total lack of New Zealand troops in Russia. CMAK corrects those oversights, provides a more polished product, and doesn't mess-up the great CM eengine in the process.

I do chuckle at people agonizing over buying CMAK as though it were a house purchase or something. Sunday I bought two pillows for my couch and the cost exceeded the price of a CMAK disk by a third! So you decide - do you buy a 3-D Med. theater wargame that spans 5 years, or do you spend the same money on 1 1/2 throw pillows.

That is hilarious. but of course, it's never just CMAK. There's Streets of Stalingrad for 160.00, a new cd set of Ayrton Senna for 40.00 (racing) , the German Infantry tactics book for 20.00, CM2, Blitzkrieg 2, Wartime Command, and who knows what else... and that's just by 5:30 tonight! I'll probably get it. Just wanted to know if it was more of the "good" same.

Right on MikeyD. Half the wine I drink costs me more per bottle than CMAK and I drink a lot of wine. The big cost for me isn't in the purchase price, but in the time it takes to play. Buy the damn thing already. I guarantee you'll get at least an hour of entertainment per dollar of cost, and that's a pretty good deal when you look at your other options.