Normandy Photos

Originally posted by Andreas:

And that speculation is based on the well-known fact that no German Tiger or Panther was ever knocked out, and the only ones lost were blown up due to either running out of fuel or being immobilised by a crater, right?

With the exception of the Wittman fella you guys keep talking about. Everyone knows he was plinked by a rouge Typhoon flying 'off the record'.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

And that speculation is based on the well-known fact that no German Tiger or Panther was ever knocked out, and the only ones lost were blown up due to either running out of fuel or being immobilised by a crater, right?

With the exception of the Wittman fella you guys keep talking about. Everyone knows he was plinked by a rouge Typhoon flying 'off the record'. </font>

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

Check out the p011078-082 series of photos. KT from the 503rd s.Pz.Abt? Doesn't look like a Porsche turret.

Clearly a Porsche turret. </font>

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kingfish:

With the exception of the Wittman fella you guys keep talking about. Everyone knows he was plinked by a rouge Typhoon flying 'off the record'.

Ahh? I heard it was a firefly that got him. </font>

Originally posted by JonS:

12541 doesn't look terribly Normand-esque either.

P012541 tells us US Navy landing in Normandy :confused:

Makes me wonder, does anyone have experience with walking around for a whole day with leather army-boots soaked in salt water? Doesn't look too comfortable to me. Once had my dock-sides wet in the surf. Mixed with the beach sand, they started smelling pretty bad.

11329 and 11464 are all good though.

yeah, yeah, I know... the other 5'998 are okay.

[ August 06, 2006, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: McAuliffe ]

Maybe not the first, but certainly the finest.

BTW, on re-reading it, I noticed that dear old P51D pretty much acknowledges he's FOS on page five:

Ekins hits & wipes out Wittman from the side. Impact high up towards the top of the hull where the later internal hull explosion obliterates the strike evidence.

Tyffies later spot the Tigers in the open & as there is no smoke & fire to indicate they out of action attack & hit with rockets that cause the explosion.

An APDS hit will not necessarliy cause fire & explosion. Interesting hypothesis.

Also interesting - for someone who supposedly writes for a living - is his abysmal spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

OTOH, it's threads like that that helped/forced me to lift my game on terms of avoiding unsupported statements, and absolute declarations. So maybe P51D wasn't a complete waste of rations.

[ August 07, 2006, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Londoners would hear the noise of the engine, followed by that terrifying moment when it stopped. The 15-second silence was the hardest to bear. Then came the explosion and the mushroom of rubble and dust thrown high in the air.

Hitler's secret weapon, for so long a music hall joke, was no longer amusing.

At 4pm on Saturday afternoon, June 17th, rescue parties were rushed to St. John's Hill, Battersea where a V1 had landed in the road, damaging the Surrey Hounds public house, two passing trolley buses and a row of shops. The death toll was 24.

• 2 weeks later...

Mk. I Pompous Ass

My personal fave in the series would be this particular photo, which tells me more about the WWII US officer corps than a million JasonC posts.

The immense size of the image (likely exceeded only by the ego of the subject) prohibits replicating it on this forum, but please do click on the link. It's priceless. It's "The Office" WWII style, complete with the Gareth/Dwight suck-up character stage managing the poor doggies in the background.

The movie line that instantly sprang to mind is from "Animal House" re Lt. Niedermayer: "Killed by His Own Troops In Vietnam"

It's been a while since one of these "Caption That Image" posts has appeared on this forum, but I invite the collective to chime in. Here, I'll start:

2LT Niedermayer demonstrates the proper technique for assaulting the formidable fortifications of the Nazi "Chia-Pet" Line.