PBEM system

PBEM is a great way to play the game. However, what I don't get is why is the system so slow. Some of the moves are merely viewing the movie. One should be able to both plot a turn and view a movie on every mailing except the first. Sometimes you would view the movie first, others plot first. This is how Tacops was when I used to PBEM it. Why is this not the case with CM?

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

One should be able to both plot a turn and view a movie on every mailing except the first.

Plot your moves, then view the movie, watch your attack fall apart, reload turn, replot moves, watch movie, watch your attack break through the defense.

See a problem?

Originally posted by Kingfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dangerousdave:

One should be able to both plot a turn and view a movie on every mailing except the first.

Plot your moves, then view the movie, watch your attack fall apart, reload turn, replot moves, watch movie, watch your attack break through the defense.

See a problem? </font>

Hi,

If you and your opponent trust each other, then by using this excellent program PBEM Helper you can speed up your game significantly.

Haven't tried the trust mode myself, (not for lack of trust, just me and my friend both coming to grips with the whole PBEM system in the first place, next game we will start), but if it works as well as the rest of the program does (and it does!) then it is a sure thing.

Good luck

I'm confident I can find opponents who don't have to resort to that. If this is the reason, its a damn sad one.

I'm confident that in your search for trustworthy opponents you will encounter quite a few less than honorable ones. Would you prefer a secure system in place that prevents these idiots from cheating, and thus ruining your enjoyment of the game, or would you prefer to simply trust the next guy you send a file to?

I'm confident I can find opponents who don't have to resort to that. If this is the reason, its a damn sad one.

I'm confident that in your search for trustworthy opponents you will encounter quite a few less than honorable ones. Would you prefer a secure system in place that prevents these idiots from cheating, and thus ruining your enjoyment of the game, or would you prefer to simply trust the next guy you send a file to? </font>

Actually don't see the problem, if you watch the movie FIRST then plot orders (some PBEM turns are like that) the shouldn't be problem, you just send a movie to your opponent, who then watches it, plots his moves, send the movie, with his moves back to you, you watch the movie he saw, plot your moves, CM computes your moves, his moves, makes movie, etc...

But I can see how hard this can get to implement. The size of the files would also be a bit larger.

"Trusted" PBEM is a feature that they use in other battlefront games, from what I have been told. When the CMBB 1.03 patch was coming out I put in a post begging for trusted email and the moderator came out and flamed me for being unreasonable.

The real solution is that trusted PBEM would be an option that you could setup when you start the game - if you know your opponent (like I do, I play one opponent 3 PBEM games at a time and am 100% confident he wouldn't cheat), and if you don't know your opponent that well, you could do the current cheat-proof mode.

I can't imagine that this would be that big of a change - I have at least a little basis for this assumption since I am a project manager at a tech company - but am unfortunately thinking that they won't put this in.

They ain't gonna change it. There have been 10,001 requests for BFC to change the PBEM system over the years and it's still the same as it was the day CMBO was released.

(sung to Black Hole Sun)

CMX2

Won't you come

And wash away the rain

CMX2

Won't you come

Won't you come

Originally posted by Carl Puppchen:

I can't imagine that this would be that big of a change - I have at least a little basis for this assumption since I am a project manager at a tech company - but am unfortunately thinking that they won't put this in.

Unless you are working with a rather complex legacy operation that does not do asynchronous transactions well. Asynchronous in this case would be Move/P1 PBEM. Hold movie. Then Movie/P2 PBEM.

I would note how hotseat has the same movie order issues--seems like it is only shown once, and moves cannot be saved while movies are about. Hence the current system.

Now, when I am refactoring for CMX2, this would be on the list of things to change. You pretty much have to to get full-game replay anyhow.

WWB

heh, we just had a thread about archiving old PBEM game results, and with one exception, all the posters who expressed an opinion on how useful it was admitted that they rarely, if ever, pull up saved PBEM files to look at them.

How many people would really sit down and pull up a full-game replay (all 100MB of it) anything more than occasionally? ;)

I'm confident that in your search for trustworthy opponents you will encounter quite a few less than honorable ones. Would you prefer a secure system in place that prevents these idiots from cheating, and thus ruining your enjoyment of the game, or would you prefer to simply trust the next guy you send a file to? </font>

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

heh, we just had a thread about archiving old PBEM game results, and with one exception, all the posters who expressed an opinion on how useful it was admitted that they rarely, if ever, pull up saved PBEM files to look at them.

How many people would really sit down and pull up a full-game replay (all 100MB of it) anything more than occasionally? ;)

I would not do that, but I would like to watch the whole movie as a continuous sequence. I would do that.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I would not do that, but I would like to watch the whole movie as a continuous sequence. I would do that. </font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

The system could, however, be fast AND secure at the same time. Every turn you would first watch the previous action phase and then plot for next turn.

This has been proposed a couple of times before (as early as CMBO). Answer (from Charles) was that internal implementation details would make this very hard and lengthy to code, so we most likely won't see it until the engine rewrite.

Dschugaschwili