Using main gun HE

I can't seem to get my tanks to use up their HE rounds during a QB. Each turn I order them (Allies/Axis) to shoot with main gun. They might let off a round of HE and then they stop. Sometimes I finish a battle with almost 50% of my HE load.

How can I get them to engage with main gun rounds and use them up by the end of the battle?

It's not a question of dust.

I just want my tanks to use up their HE load before the end of the battle.

I am not using 'area fire'...I am directing them, each turn, to shoot 'main gun HE' at infantry...They will often shoot one round of HE for that turn and then they revert back to machine guns.

Again, I finish the battle with about 50% of my HE still unused...Any tips?

Perhaps Jason he simply wants to use up all his HE ammo just for the hell of it? It's only a game after all and not life or death.

Just like I may want to someday pitch a force of 50 MG Jeeps against a platoon of Pz IVH's just to see what could happen, it might be fun. No harm done & even though it in no way represents real life it's simply doing it just for a bit of a laugh. You should try it someday.

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by zmoney:

How funny, everyone’s speculating on what he meant to say. Well here is my speculation, I think he just for what ever reason wants to end a game with no HE. There’s no reason behind it other than he wants to end the game with no HE.

I'd recommend using some early British cruiser tanks for such - always at the end of my battles, they have not a single HE round left. :D

Originally posted by Ted:

Isn't it also true that as the fewer rounds you have left the slower the rate of fire will be?

Judging from what I recall from my CMAK battles... I would say that depends. I got the feeling that tanks (and guns, too IIRC) tend to lower their rate of fire or cease firing completely when running low on ammo (for the main gun that is - MGs are not affected), though this is mainly true for shooting at targets that can't shoot back. Any unit that poses a threat is attacked with the normal (high) ROF - up to the point when - because of lack of the appropriate ammo - a crew resorts to hammering a tank with HE or an ATG with AP rounds.