Unloading troops from AFVs, BROKEN!

Unloading troops from vehicles is totally broken IMHO and it ruins the game. :mad: The only reliable way of doing it is to waste a minute (and loose the battle :( )sometimes you can have an AFV with 2 teams on board and one jumps off while the vehicle is moving to its destination the other team sits there, the vehicle is yards from its destination so you say OK I'll kill the movement, pause it for say 20 sec, (while they unload) and then reverse it out of there. Result, vehicle reverses away with team still on board! :eek:

Unloading troops is just so far away from anything approaching reality or viability that

the only way to play the game is to forget loading and unloading troops. If anyone can reliably, efficiently, and successfully use troop carriers as troop carriers let me know how. PLEASE! :confused:

Aviator

Other folks here have suggested some good links to check out.

you should do that.

BUT try to remember that turns are ONLY one Minute long...

ONLY ONE minute. (60 secs)

I could be wrong about this but I ALWAYS figured it takes at least ONE FULL minute to get a bunch of men to all do the same thing, such as ALL get off the bus or ALL get on the bus.

Within a ONE minute time frame I figure the ONLY thing you can do is Mount or Unmount troops to or from transport and that seems pretty realistic to me.

-tom w

Originally posted by aviator99:

Unloading troops from vehicles is totally broken IMHO and it ruins the game. :mad: The only reliable way of doing it is to waste a minute (and loose the battle :( )sometimes you can have an AFV with 2 teams on board and one jumps off while the vehicle is moving to its destination the other team sits there, the vehicle is yards from its destination so you say OK I'll kill the movement, pause it for say 20 sec, (while they unload) and then reverse it out of there. Result, vehicle reverses away with team still on board! :eek:

Unloading troops is just so far away from anything approaching reality or viability that

the only way to play the game is to forget loading and unloading troops. If anyone can reliably, efficiently, and successfully use troop carriers as troop carriers let me know how. PLEASE! :confused:

Aviator

Here's something I *think* I know but am unsure about.

Is it true that passengers will never unload if they are given a Move & Hide (or Run & Hide etc.) command? I seem to recall several games in which my passengers just sat on top of their transport for several turns until I tried eliminating the Hide part of the command. They then started moving in the next action phase.

But maybe I'm remembering this wrong. (Maybe the vehicles had Hunt orders?)

Anyone know if or how this works?

I sympathise with you regarding troop disembarking, to some extent anyway, but with perserverence it is possible to accomplish.

And believe me it is worth it in the end as it is a joy to behold when it works properly, so stick with it and hopefully it will be easier than it is at present in the new engine.

;)

An easy way to learn how to unload troops from transports is to set up a test scenario and practice. You will be surprised at what you can actually do and some things you will need to watch for. Mortars and Hmg's will act differently than regular troops.

One key thing in unloading is to put the dismount way point right next to the vehicle, or the vehicles path when moving. I just ran a test and all my troops dismounted from vehicles that were moving, by putting the dismount waypoint on the vehicle movement path. The vehicle came to the waypoint and paused for the troops to dismount and then went on its way. The heavier weapons cause the vehicle to pause for a longer time if I remeber correctly.

lee :)

Lol on the first post. Read a real life AAR of a WW2 action.

Yes, attacks were co-ordinated, but not to the second. Debussing was (AFAIK) normally done at the Form Up Point, with only Russians having doctrine of actually riding directly into combat. Unless ambushed...

There have been huge posts on use of HT's - the consensus is that they are best used as battlefield taxis.

Originally posted by yacinator:

Kind of off topic, but not really. What I think sucks about embarking in CM is the 2 unit limit. Seems stupid to me that you can put a 12 man squad in a truck but you can't embark more than 2 snipers. My 2 cents.

Strongly agreed. Hopefully BFC will come up with a solution for this in CMx2. You might remember to raise this point when/if they begin soliciting ideas for the new game.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by yacinator:

Kind of off topic, but not really. What I think sucks about embarking in CM is the 2 unit limit. Seems stupid to me that you can put a 12 man squad in a truck but you can't embark more than 2 snipers. My 2 cents.

Strongly agreed. Hopefully BFC will come up with a solution for this in CMx2. You might remember to raise this point when/if they begin soliciting ideas for the new game.

Michael </font>

LeeW,

One key thing in unloading is to put the dismount way point right next to the vehicle, or the vehicles path when moving. I just ran a test and all my troops dismounted from vehicles that were moving, by putting the dismount waypoint on the vehicle movement path. The vehicle came to the waypoint and paused for the troops to dismount and then went on its way. The heavier weapons cause the vehicle to pause for a longer time if I remeber correctly.
No ****? It really works? Never thought of that or read it in any previous threads. I'll be damned, can't wait to get home and try that one.

DavidI

ok, i read the other threads. good tricks. i use a fairly simple technique with transports. im playing a scenario i got from the depot now, eighty-eight hills. there are two hills defended by germans, obviously with 88's. i have american forces, 4 platoons sherman, 2 platoons stuart, 2 companies inf, with halftrack. alot of halftrack. also 8 37mm towed.

anyway, i have to get these guys into some good places to fight from. they start mounted, so thats easy. i made two inf drop off's, one behind trees, the other 30 meters in front on his forward trenches about 2 turns later. the rifle squads and officers jumped out first, right beside the HT's, next turn, ran or advanced to cover. all of this is covered from the rear by 20 shermans, 8 37mm guns, 10 stuarts. at turn 20 of 60, the germans are reinforced by an unknown number of pzrIII's, IV's, tigers, SP's, and and the entire population of munich's west side. i forgot why im writing this...

why does anyone want to embark, and disembark a unit on the same turn? or was it the other way around. anyway, what the point? the turn is only a minute...so you have to stop your transport to pick guys up. so what. i just get the vehicle to finish its movement near the unit, he was also ordered to embark, they do it. i guess if u want to do it at the beginning of a turn, judge from the experience of the unit, and the transport, and pause accordingly.

The vehicles have to be using the move command for the troops to jump off. It won't work with fast of course. Just use fast to the drop off point and then insert a move command for a short distance and then fast again. Set the troops jump off way point on the move segment of the transports commands and the transport will pause for the troops to hop out and then continue on it's trip. Or if you have the transport doing a 180 turn to return then the troops can jump out while he turns around without the need of a move command for the transport.

Doing this you could drop off troops and return for the next load. You can even give the next group of troops the embark order after giving the mounted troops their disembark orders.

Doing some training exercises will give you some idea how it all works :)

lee

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Fascinating.

Michael

The other day, I was almost sure I didn't totally understand how the engine/game mechanics worked, and decided to disregard a common sense approach to how to handle units in combat, ignoring the concept of 'how would it be in the Real World?'

Well, you can imagine my disgust and outrage when I found that what I thought I should, unquestionably, be able to do, didn't work the way I thought it should! I broke several objects in my apartment (of no great value, and primarily belonging to friends who'd been foolish enough to lend them to me.)

After my initial fit of rage had passed, I contemplated some of the good advice and observations that I'd read in this thread, and decided they neither addressed my indignation, nor slaked my desire to see all that opposed me crushed under the heel of my ÃœberGnomish boot.

I went to my local Software Games retailer, and insisted on filling out a 'complaint' card, detailing how I thought all existing and forthcoming tactical combat games should model a variety of behaviours that were giving me difficulties. I made sure that the Store Manager crouched at my feet the entire time, then waited while they posted it 'To All Wargame Makers'

I then came back and read this thread again. It once again filled me with rage.

I decided that there was no future in 'satirical' responses, and now simply demand that BFC model the game on my abilities, rather than other, less important concepts.

I'm sure that, quite shortly, a cross-section of my opponents will be by to inform BFC of the changes needed to bring the game engine into conformity with my abilities.

Even the briefest non-reading of historical sources will confirm, for example, that troops consistently used HTs and other vehicles to dash into combat and dismount, guns a-blazing, to immediately assume strike positions.

I know return consideration of this topic to better informed, well-read, reasonable posters and players, with my curse on them and their 'realism'.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Is this a secret that was maybe known to some before and now finally spilled more widely in this thread, or is it in the manual somewhere?

Well, I've been around here for more than five years and this is the first I've heard of it, if that counts.

BTW, I am assuming that you can set additional waypoints for the disembarking infantry after the first. Is that correct?

Michael

Originally posted by Macphail:

what the hell is seanachai talking about...

Hard to say. He's a horrible little man, and spends a great deal of time raving right out of his skull, you know.

Originally posted by Macphail:

...and where can i get some boots like that. mmmmm. gnomeboots.

Down, you impudent creature! No one touches the Gnome Boots, other than to grovel and fawn while prostrate before them!