Review! 4.5 out of 5

Gameplanet (New Zealand)

Ups: Some neat dust features and some good additions to the order menu. There are NEW ZEALAND units!!! A good selection of scenarios including Crete and Italy.

Downs: Some NZ units not included and voices not really of a NZ flavour. Notable omission of both the Maori Battalion and the Indian Unit skins. Graphics are functional but now dated.

Bottom Line: A worthy addition to the Combat Mission series with new tile sets and new units. By far the best computer wargame available today. If you are a wargamer and you don't buy this game you should be deported!

Kiwi's appreciate a good game.

And why not? It must be one of the few computer games of any kind to actually feature us "Choice mate, we're in the game, gotta git it, eh?".

But check this out:

To make the most of these new challenges, game controls have been enhanced with some new movement features, such as ‘shoot and scoot
Seems the reviewer is comparing it to CMBO, not CMBB. Maybe CMBB didn't make it out there.

[i'll duck for cover as kiwis wuggle out of the undergrowth to pick me to dith]

I am not sure what to say with regards to his comments about the Aussie and Kiwi voices. Both sets used native speakers (probably drunk too which is a requirement that the Finnish voice actors began in CMBB) for their respective countries. One rule I always enforce is that only native speakers for a country are used when I make or edit the samples. Oh well...

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

I am not sure what to say with regards to his comments about the Aussie and Kiwi voices. Both sets used native speakers (probably drunk too which is a requirement that the Finnish voice actors began in CMBB) for their respective countries. One rule I always enforce is that only native speakers for a country are used when I make or edit the samples. Oh well...

Madmatt

There are native speakers, and then there are native speakers. Finnish voices in CMBB for example are spoken in Southern Finnish dialect. I'm still waiting for the data disk that adds the missing dialects to the game. Well, most of us probably have grown in rather urban environments with tv's and such available, teaching us the standard language and eroding some of the regional accents. You'd need to hire some real sheep sh... uh, farmers if you wanted to convince everyone.

"There are native speakers, and then there are native speakers."

I reside just outside of Boston (U.S., not Britain) and was disappointed the American G.I.s in CMAK lacked a proper Boston accent. "Ahmid cah spahtid, sahgint!" ;)

One nice thing about that review is it offered decent representative screenshots of the game. I cringe when I see screenshots that distort what the game is really like. That other review from a week or two ago just showed a couple trucks on a road!

[ January 06, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Madmatt

The kiwis in the game do sound a bit "funny" tho,maybe tha voice actors have spent too long overseas?(I spent 4 years in London and came back sounding like a cockney!)

Madmatt

The voices for the Canadians in CM:AK sound right to me (Ontario Canadian)... except for one sample that sounds Southern. I'm not sure if I'm hearing things, but occasionally amongst the firing and shouts of "let 'em have it" I'm almost certain I hear someone speaking with a drawl. It's possible that it's only one .wav file... it certainly doesn't come up often.

There are many wild and wonderful accents in Canada (they can very even from Southern to Northern Ontario) but I've never heard a native Canadian speak with what sounded like a Southern American accent.