CMAK_DEMO

patboy

I dunno when the release dates will be, but two good dates would be......

18 Nov for the demo - Anniversary of Op Crusader, the (3rd) attempt to relieve Tobruk.

Also IIRC the first major operation by the 8th Army.

7 Dec for the full game - Anniversary of the end of the (242 day) seige of Tobruk.

The first major defeat of German land forces in WW2.

.........Fitting dates for a NA game, but I wouldnt complain if it were sooner ;)

Lou2000

So, let's speculate overwhat the demo scenaios are likely to look like. Firsly, I'm thinking it'll be two battles.

I'm guessing that the Germans will be the Axis on both occasions to save on file size. The Americans will IMHO fight one, for marketing reasons if not for anything else. The other will be the British Commonwealth because you need to show stuff you don't see often. I'm thinking the Lees will show up in the American battle to show it off, while the Brits might get a few Matildas or Crusaders because many people reckognize and identify them as typical of North African warfare. A smattering of inf and atleast one FO to show of dust being kicked up.

Or alternatively the Brits get a Grant or two in North Africa while the Americans go to Italy. This would be to show off the higher elevations but would mean having two sets of terrain included and might be prohibitive, size wise.

I would be happy if one demo is the battle currently receiving an AAR from wwb and Thomas. That one looks pretty cool and features the M3 Grant-Lee. Seems tactically interesting and replayable too.

I have to say I replayed the CMBO demo battles many times. But the CMBB demos were dogs....Here's to some good CMAK demo battles.

Soldier Berkut,

Surley, you will allow me the honor of being the first to say that he has the CMAK demo- a tradition started nigh years ago, as you will no doubt recall- when in reality no such thing exists.

I conisder my duty to be the first, for not the first release, nor the second, then the THIRD!

I agree that the demo will most likely have two demo scenarios, one with the Brits against the Germans in North Africa, and the other with the Americans in Sicily or peninsular Italy. Of course they might really try to show off with German Paras against Kiwis on Crete or something flashy like that.

Originally posted by Lou2000:

7 Dec for the full game - Anniversary of the end of the (242 day) seige of Tobruk.

The first major defeat of German land forces in WW2.

I am sure the Soviets would be surprised to hear that, even if you were using the Gregorian calendar.

The first major defeat was at Yelnia, when the Wehrmacht retreated from the salient on 6th September 1941.

Before the 7th December you would also need to count the Timoshenko counter-offensive which by then had pushed back German forces from Rostov (start late November), and probably the Moscow counter-offensive, which pushed them back from, you guessed it, Moscow.

Of course either of these three earlier defeats involves significantly bigger forces than the Afrikakorps, so it is easy to overlook them. :D

Shame you could not make it yesterday Lou. Was a good day out.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

July 10th would be more appropriate; the anniversary of the largest amphibious operation in the European theatre, the first invasion of an Axis homeland, and I guess a kind of midpoint of the war in the Med; after Africa and before Italy and in the middle of the 1940-45 date range.

Did you hear that BFC? Dorosh doesn't want his until the middle of next year. Be sure to make a note.

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

July 10th would be more appropriate; the anniversary of the largest amphibious operation in the European theatre, the first invasion of an Axis homeland, and I guess a kind of midpoint of the war in the Med; after Africa and before Italy and in the middle of the 1940-45 date range.

Did you hear that BFC? Dorosh doesn't want his until the middle of next year. Be sure to make a note. </font>

PLEEEEAAAASE don't mention anniversary dates! It's like a jinx!

Both for CMBO and CMBB speculation was rampant about which military anniversay each game would be released on. And each time the game was released AFTER the last suggested anniversary had passed! I swear, it's like a curse or something.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

You imbecile! There's no "I" in Team!!!

Look again Laughing Boy - it's all about <big>ME</big>! :D

P.S. I don't want to be cruel, so I'll let you know how good the demo scens are. I may even send you some happy snaps ;)

[ October 29, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by CMplayer:

The CMBO demo had good scenarios, but CMBB's were a couple of duds. Hope

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I have to say I replayed the CMBO demo battles many times. But the CMBB demos were dogs....

Must be something wrong with me. I really liked Yelina Stare.

Yelina stare was decent enough, but IMHO totally unsuitable for newbies. They would get too easily frustrated as the Russian infantry starts hugging the ground at the first sign of opposition. While playing as the German you had to be very lucky to KO the T-34s. If you dind't, no matter how well you'd handle the Russian infantry, you'd get beaten.

I started it up a few months back and still found it fairly hard going as either side. Winnable but frustrating even then, so imagine what a total n00b will think.

True enough, it really isn’t for newbies, the other two were better for them.

I have only played Yelina stare from the Soviet side, and did find it difficult enough to be entertaining. I read some of the horror stories about the scenario, and was prepared to have real problems getting my troops to advance. I found that in the game, I could get both the green and regular troops to advance with enough coaxing, and only the conscripts turned out to be fairly useless (except to distract the Jerry MGs). The scenario did a nice job in showing an old CMBO hand some of the differences to expect with CMBB.

I will admit that I had to restart the battle, as the first time I massed my troops at setup with some in the open, and the AI taught me a harsh lesson about turn 1 pre-planned artillery barrages.