CM Vietnam

Kitty

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL,

Hmmm I say, “CM Vietnam”, looks like a discussion on what the next CM will be.

I’ll start at the end and see what the hot topic being discussed is.

I didn’t figure it would be the best way to kick a cripple.

You can always learn somethin’ new on this board.

Hello all: having a vested interest, I would vote for the Korean War. It had much of the tactical situations of WW II plus Everyone was involved in one way or another. We had Yanks, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis,Greeks, Turks,Philippinos,& Canadians in the combat arms plus Danes etc in support roles. On the other side there were of course North koreans, Chinese, and Soviet advisors. Although primarily an Infantry war there was plenty of armor around (although primarily in the infantry support role). There were summer campaigns, winter campaigns etc.

What is not to like? An additional thought was that, I think for the first time, you could see the differences between allied Vs Soviet combat doctrine against each other.

Originally posted by BARMAN1950:

Hello all: having a vested interest, I would vote for the Korean War. It had much of the tactical situations of WW II plus Everyone was involved in one way or another. We had Yanks, Brits, Aussies, Kiwis,Greeks, Turks,Philippinos,& Canadians in the combat arms plus Danes etc in support roles. On the other side there were of course North koreans, Chinese, and Soviet advisors. Although primarily an Infantry war there was plenty of armor around (although primarily in the infantry support role). There were summer campaigns, winter campaigns etc.

What is not to like? An additional thought was that, I think for the first time, you could see the differences between allied Vs Soviet combat doctrine against each other.

I'd enjoy a Korea CM too but Vietnam Korea had a lot of the elements you mention too... Aussies, Kiwis, ROKs, Montagnards, etc . . .

I'll take either but I'm sure we'll get neither.

Kitty

I think it would be quite difficult in the rainforests with all the vegetation, it would be difficult to find all your guys, they would have to make it on a much smaller scale, so that you only control about 50 guys in total, and maybe the odd tank or so, and they should add Friendly Fire, to simulate the screw-ups made with the arial bombing and artillery strikes.

Originally posted by lt_gouws:

...and they should add Friendly Fire, to simulate the screw-ups made with the arial bombing and artillery strikes.

Whaddaya mean "add...screw-ups made with arial [sic] bombing and artillery strikes"? CM already boasts those "features" in plenitude. If anything, they'd have to tone it down a tad to depict improvements in technique over two intervening decades.

:confused:

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lt_gouws:

...and they should add Friendly Fire, to simulate the screw-ups made with the arial bombing and artillery strikes.

Whaddaya mean "add...screw-ups made with arial [sic] bombing and artillery strikes"? CM already boasts those "features" in plenitude. If anything, they'd have to tone it down a tad to depict improvements in technique over two intervening decades.

:confused:

Michael </font>

• 9 months later...

Some things never change. The thread started out well. Some old names in here.

With Berlichtingen's permission I am redoing DZXray for CMAK. Playtesting now. I am looking for any other Vietnam related battles if anyone can point me to them. BO BB or AK

PS did anyone ever check to see how the Brits got the Malvinas in the first place. That's a good story.

Whilst modern is possible surely a Napoleonic - or more to the point - horse and musket can be stretched to cover such a huge number of conflicts rather than just Vietnam or Korea.

Much larger market to sell to so commercially a better bet. {Which makes me wonder whether you can equate sailing ships to tanks and through that in also}

Kitty, junk4drive:

I will shortly release a semihistorical scenario about the fightings at Dien Bien Phu. But attention, it´s huge (regimental assault). I have another scenario based loosely on some historic ambushes against French convoys... Have to check it, if there is a briefing...

At the Proving Grounds.

Originally posted by CMplayer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

If I had to point out some of the most uninteresting conflicts of 20th century for a squad level game, that would be one.

Have you actually studied the subject? Vietnam (both the French Indochina war and the American involvment) is full of interesting tactical situations, which would work well at the scale of CM. </font>

Hi all

Actually, Vietnam is the perfect threater (like WWII) for a CM style game.

1. It spans two decades

2. It involves many nations

3. The weaponry is still close enough to WWII (ATWGMs, laser guiding and tank guns that kill at 3 km only make a tiny appearance

4. Infantry dominate the battlefield (all the other arms are support)

5. Vietnam (plus Laos and Cambodia) have diverse terrain types (Vietnam is not all jungle)

6. Many major battles occurred, including tank battles and city fighting

7. You even have riverine warfare with fast attack boats and monitors

Vietnam was as urbanised as large areas of Europe where during WWII, so fighting inevitably impacted on civilians. And the attrocities committed by all sides pale in comparison to the attrocities committed during WWII.

Even the Battlefront logo on this site (if I am not mistaken) is a M48A2 firing at a NVA PT76 during a night battle in 1968 (I think) at Ben Het (again I think) in the Central Highlands on the South Vietam/Laosan border.

If you could change/add the hard coded units in CM:BB or CMAK, you could create a Nam mod now, as a M48 or a T54 is not that different from WWII tanks (unlike modern armour).

Also, just for the current US elections, you could add special HQ units, like the BUSH that never arrives on the battlefield, or the KERRY that initially fights well but then suddenly changes sides. ;)

Better still would be a CMX2 engine that could handle all of WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Israeli/Arab and any other war up till the 1980s when technology changes the dimensions of armoured warfare.

Regards

A.E.B