CM Vietnam

Kitty

Speaking of Vietnam has anyone ever seen a French movie called Platoon 317? It's supposed to be pretty good, French in Indochina. And while I'm on the French did anyone ever see the "Lost Command" with Anthony Quinn (Algeria). I've also seen "Battle of ALgiers". What other French flicks am I missing from the post WW2 era?

Los

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Los:

Speaking of Vietnam has anyone ever seen a French movie called Platoon 317? It's supposed to be pretty good, French in Indochina. And while I'm on the French did anyone ever see the "Lost Command" with Anthony Quinn (Algeria). I've also seen "Battle of ALgiers". What other French flicks am I missing from the post WW2 era?

Los

I think Berli has "Lost Command." Here's a site with a list of movies and reviews about Indochina.

It's Under "Misc"

Kitty

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

A campaign layer would really make it interesting - you platoon commanders serve only six months while the troops they lead serve a year (13 months for the Marines) - and every individual has his own tour of duty meaing some of your experienced troops will be leaving pretty much on a regular basis. IF CM2 ever includes that kind of level of detail, the challenges for a company commander would be all the more pronounced. [/QB]

If CM would simply put the ability to change maps in the operations. That way the company/platoon could fight more than one engagement on a patrol and it could be on different maps. Kind of like Close Combat did eons ago. Hopefully we could see that feature in the CMX2.

Panther Commander

Los

Lost Command is a great movie! The movie starts with the fall of Dien Bien Phu (or however you spell it) and then moves on to Algeria. Part of the appeal is Anthony Quinn who is a fantastic actor.

Platoon 317 sounds interesting... have to see if I can hunt it down

Los

The french title is "La 317ième section", a movie from Pierre Schoendoerffer in black and white (1964). A very good war movie smile.gif !

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mace:

i) Was Vietnam anymore terrible a war than any of the others of the 20th century?

Forget limiting it to the 20th century. Any war period. There has never been a 'clean' war </font>

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

i) Was Vietnam anymore terrible a war than any of the others of the 20th century?

Forget limiting it to the 20th century. Any war period. There has never been a 'clean' war </font>

Originally posted by Kitty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

If BFC came out with a Vietnam CM and you didn't like it, approved of it, had any interest, etc then just do what I did when CMAK came out: Don't buy it.

The desert phase of WWII holds little interest to me, but I have no need to expend my energy blasting it as "unworthy" of the CM treatment. It is not unworthy, but it's not for me.

I let it go and wait for the next release, if it covers something I'm interested in then I'll buy it.

Asking BFC to publish a certain type of game is a fun pastime, but a pointless one. We all know that CM2 will be CMBO redone and after that CM2 part 2 will be CMBB redone. WWII in Europe is BFC's focus and that's where their games will take place.

I'd love CM in Vietnam, Korea, PTO, anywhere else, but it's not going to happen.

Gyrene

Originally posted by Gyrene:

If BFC came out with a Vietnam CM and you didn't like it, approved of it, had any interest, etc then just do what I did when CMAK came out: Don't buy it.

I'd love CM in Vietnam, Korea, PTO, anywhere else, but it's not going to happen.

Gyrene

It's not about what you want, it's about what I want and therefore it will happen. I've already sent in my preorder for CM - Indochina One and Two. Now I eagerly await the postman. =)

Kitty

Originally posted by Gyrene:

We all know that CM2 will be CMBO redone and after that CM2 part 2 will be CMBB redone. WWII in Europe is BFC's focus and that's where their games will take place.

Aah, but we don't really know that.

Battlefront have not been exactly clear recently of which theatre/s they plan to do with the new engine.

Regardless of what it is, I'm really looking forward to it.

Mace

Originally posted by Mace:

Aah, but we don't really know that.

Battlefront have not been exactly clear recently of which theatre/s they plan to do with the new engine.

Regardless of what it is, I'm really looking forward to it.

Mace

Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a 3rd party interested in buying the engine for a Vietnam game or such. I wonder what BTF thinks of this.

Originally posted by Determinant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ariel:

There has never been a 'clean' war

Malvinas. Except for the blurry Gral. Belgrano cruiser episode, a gentlemen's war. </font>

Originally posted by Ariel:

except for the Belgrano being sunk by political necessity of prevent an agreement put forward for the Secretary of State of USA, Haig and the UN chairman, Pérez del Cuellar, all the war was mostly conducted without resorting to nasty tactics

The Belgrano was skirting the edge of the exclusion zone. It was sunk because the submarine tracking it wasn't confident that it could maintain contact. At any point it could have changed course and engaged the Task Force. And for what purpose was it there, other than to do just that? If it had stayed in port it would have been perfectly safe.