Terrain mods

I recently installed the improved North-African grid terrain mod by Limey and I have to say it makes Afrika Korps a hell of a lot easier to play. Judging contours and elevation of slopes was a nightmare before.

I wonder if there are any other mods that improve the terrain visually? I vaguely remember someone mentioning that a mod is available that causes the landscape to be different colours at different heights.

I did a North Africa 'Arid Rock' mod awhile ago. No grid to it but its got lots of craggy textures that help discern terrain features, plus the differences in shading for elevation steps are more pronounced too. I'm not sure how well that particular mod was received by the guys (its a bit 'out there'), but I liked it!

Also look onto the CMBB side of cmmods.com for terrain mods. I think CMAK and CMBB European and snow terrains share the same numbers.

Under CMAK Mods, click SEARCH CMAK, then Country: ‘All’, Type: ‘Terrain’, then Unit: ‘Open Ground’ (other choices also in this cat.) GreenAsJade’s mods are good for discerning elevation. Take a look at the gridded ones too. I’m currently going for a “natural” look so I use Gurra’s. Lots of choices obviously.

I did a few CMBB "high contrast" ones I'm pretty sure.

If you can point me at terrain that I haven't done, I'll be happy to do it. I don't play CMBB that much, so I don't really notice what's missing.

GaJ

Edit: I went and had a look: steppe is there, but that seems to be all. What's the best ones to do?

[ December 08, 2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: GreenAsJade ]

Terrain tile #s/dates - CMBB & CMAK

_CMBB:

1470-1489 = deep snow

1550-1569 = open ground

1570-1589 = steppe (will show up as long as it is the dominate {half or more} of the tiles on the map)*

1870-1889 = light snow

_CMAK:

1470-1489 = deep snow

1550-1569 = open ground

1570-1589 = open ground (only available Italy July/43 through Feb/44 and winter Dec/44 through Feb/45 [non-snowy ground]). Also Crete 05/41.

~~~ Tiles 1570-1589 were not included in the Macintosh version of CMAK. They are not necessary to use if you have a Mac but will show up during the above listed months if you have them installed.

1830-1849 = arid

1850-1869 = sand

1870-1889 = light snow

*I just tested (discovered) this with a square flat map equally divided between open ground and steppe initially; only the steppe tiles would show up. If I applied an extra row of open ground the steppe tiles would disappear showing only the open ground tiles.

!edited in '07 to include Mac info.

[ April 25, 2007, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: _UXcva ]

Just a word about GaJ's mod in the CMBB section of CMMODS. Its labeled as "Steppe" when in fact its numbered for open ground. Open ground being 1550-1569. ;)

One can use his GaJ_High_Contrast_Grass

{1550-1569} and his GaJ_High_Contrast_Open {1570-1589} found in the CMAK section of CMMODS in CMBB also.