Look what I, er, 'cobbled up!' The first ever totally *NEW* paved road *MOD* is here!

Overdue, frequently attempted (by me, at least) and finally -after almost three years- pulled off: A completely new 'Cobbled Roads' replacement for the standard paved asphalt roads!

As some of you may know there are less actual road textures than there are road combinations in the editor. The game engine handles this by flipping and/or rotating textures as necessary. Due to this severe limitation it's extremely difficult to come up with a 'pattern' that connects properly with its adjoining texture's pattern. I came up with something that works pretty well, as long as I kept the detail pretty low.

Apart from that, I would have been able to put a lot more detail in it if it weren't for the nasty 'sparkling' side-effect it causes when viewed from longer distances while panning the map (the curse of hi-res, as Ed calls it). I've tried to keep this sparkling effect down to an -I feel- acceptable minimum.

The textures are hi-res (meaning that they have a larger resolution than the originals).

Since I felt these grey roads (and the originals) pretty much stink in an African setting I've also whipped up an African version. Totally unrealistic no doubt, but also probably more realistic than grey asphalt, eh? ;) You probably won't see them often anyway. However, If you don't like switching mods, stick to the standard European version!

Enough rambling, Click here for some screenshots and go here to download. The two versions are packed separately. The European version will work with CM:BB and CM:BO as well.

As usual, thanks to Ed Kinney for testing and giving valuable advice!

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

i sure do hope this includes the city paved roads (with the sidewalks) and the paved-gravel intersections...

No, the city paved roads (with the sidewalks) are not included. You could try my existing city road and pavement mod, though.

The paved/dirt road intersections are included, of course.

Hey, we're back on page one! smile.gif

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

Really superior mod.

No please could you do a city pavement of the same kind (no sparkling effect)?

Thanks. I've already done a city pavement mod earlier (in two resolutions, no less). Yes, it sparkles, but I'm quite happy with it and not really planning on doing another.

You could decrease the resolution of that one yourself in Paintshop or Photoshop if you wanted. It will reduce the sparkle, but also seriously reduce the detail.