You wanna know the name of the next BFC game?

Well, with all the speculation going on about what the next game would be, I thought I would use the logical approach.

BFC, if they have a name for their game, will trademark it, right?

Well, guess what, that information is available for all to see, so here you go guys. BFC has registered two names:

STRYKER BRIGADE

and

OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM

Well, I don't think you have to be a genious to figure out that WWII will not be their first game for CMx2..

Edit: removed bad link, use the one in my next post.

[ June 18, 2005, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Panzer76 ]

Uhm, does it mean anything that all trademarks on it are "dead"?

Given the date they might just've been preemptively hogging the sweet names for GW2 sims. It might not mean anything.

*crosses fingers*

Come on, GW2 fuxxored the political forum and now they are going to make a game about it bringing all that back? No way!! :D

*spelling corrected and PseudoSimonds cursed for being quicker then me*

[ June 17, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Elmar Bijlsma ]

Originally posted by PseudoSimonds:

But both those names were abandoned over a year ago. Maybe some other projects that didn't make it?

When did they start to plan for CMx2?

Yes, what you say is a possibility, but look at their names, BOTH implies Iraq. Now, it seems clear they had Iraq in mind at that point in time of their design stage, but abanonded the names. I would argue that CMx2 will still be Iraq, or at least modern combat, but with a different name.

Originally posted by Martyr:

Why does the fact that Battlefront.com (publisher of CM) holds copyright on those names suggest anything about what Big Time Software (designer of CM) is doing?

Yes, it's completly worthless information. Let's go back to speculating wildly about CMx2 with no foundation in anything else than our imagination.

Hey, I think it will be Space Lobsters of Doom, what do you think?

I like the sound of it.

CMBQ Combat Mission : Bad Query.

sounds like a winner!

I wonder how many name patent applications are purely defensive, to keep someone else's paws off it until a decision is made further down the road. Like (ugh) Trump patenting the phrase "You're Fired" for game purposes.

Hi,

These things are interesting to know. It does fit with Steve’s announcement that a contemporary setting for CMX2 is on the current list of five possible future games.

A couple of years ago Steve did admit they had registered Operation Iraqi Freedom.

My real concern with the above settings is that I cannot see how one could build a wargame set in Iraq. The entire thing is far too one sided, in the real world a very good thing if you happen to be British or American, but a very bad thing if you are trying to build an interesting, challenging wargame.

This is why I was such a fan of the Cold War as a setting for CM. New set of toys to play with, plus, very even technology all the way up to 1989. Assuming one sets the same generation of Soviet kit against its western equal. i.e. not “1970s” model T72s against M1A1s, but T80Us against M1A1s.

Of course BFC will be aware of this but in order to tempt in more of the FPS type gamers they may still go for an Iraqi setting.

I am a huge fan of the idea of a contemporary setting for CMX2. I would love to play with new toys. But am worried about the setting they may go for. T55s being slaughtered by M1A1s and Challenger 2s just does not do the trick for me.

The Anglo-Saxons and New Europe against Old Europe would be fun smile.gif . My bet is it would sell well to :D .

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

My real concern with the above settings is that I cannot see how one could build a wargame set in Iraq. The entire thing is far too one sided, in the real world a very good thing if you happen to be British or American, but a very bad thing if you are trying to build an interesting, challenging wargame.

Steve has mentioned that the Cmx2 will go back to the roots of CM, so to speak. With more focus on small unit action, think max one Company perhaps with some heavy weapons. (fits in nicely with 1-1 modelling)

On this scale, and in urban combat, I think you could make a balanced game of Iraq. Ofcos, if you throw in lotsa armour and firesupport, you are screwed.

I recall two or three years ago someone else 'discovered' BFC's trademark of OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM. Steve posted and replied it was simply a business decision at the time and they had no immediate plans to make use of it. As mentioned already, I also couldn't think of a more inappropriate setting than Iraq for the first CMx2 game - I know I wouldn't even take a look lol. Perhaps why it has expired now?

Ron

Originally posted by Panzer76:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ron:

I also couldn't think of a more inappropriate setting than Iraq for the first CMx2 game - I know I wouldn't even take a look lol. Perhaps why it has expired now?

Could be, I guess we will find out pretty soon ;) </font>

Originally posted by Bannon DC:

I agree that an Iraq setting would be a buzz-kill for me. I could not play a game where there is ongoing combat and daily casualty reports. I play games to get a detachment from reality.

Hmm.. good point that, which, as a person with no national involvement in Iraq, didn't think of.

I wonder if BFC have thought of it, if indeed their first game will be from Iraq.

IF it is, are there many people who feel likewise?

Actually, we didn't abandon the TMs per se. We got a nice letter from the DOD stating that they would challenge us on both counts. One because they have their own TMs (Stryker) and the other because, get this, "it might confuse people that your product is somehow officially endorsed by the US government" (Operation Iraqi Freedom). Yup... we should have seen this coming because of all the people that thought CMBO was an official product of the US government and all the Nazis that were upset because we didn't get the consent of the Third Reich for naming CMBB and CMAK.

On both counts we felt we could do a legal challenge and succeed, especially on the latter challenge, but felt neither were worth the effort.

Now, I will throw out a bone... CMx2's first release will not be set in Iraq. Not that we feel it would be an uninteresting setting (quite the opposite), but because it is too current. Very tough to make game decisions while history is still being written.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Not that we feel it would be an uninteresting setting (quite the opposite), but because it is too current. Very tough to make game decisions while history is still being written.

Steve

Hence no Pacific Theater WW2 game either. There are still Japanese soldiers out there fighting the war. :D

Originally posted by Spanish Bombs:

On the other hand, maybe we could trademark all possible future cool task force or operation names and sell them back to the DoD at a premium.

Since when have the US been using cool operation names? Except for Anaconda they are awful.

Operation Iraqi Freedom? It's a code name. CODENAME! Not a explanatory pamflet.

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

Since when have the US been using cool operation names? Except for Anaconda they are awful.

You mean that you don't even think the current Operation Spear and Operation Dagger have cool names? The DOD probably had to pay some public relations consultant millions to come up with those two beauties. :eek: :eek:

I think CMx2 should be "Combat Mission: Death of the Penguins". I'd buy that in a minute. :D:D

Originally posted by Dave H:

You mean that you don't even think the current Operation Spear and Operation Dagger have cool names?

A bit unimaginative, isn't it? The Brits are better ai it. They would've named them Morning Dew Sprinkled Daisy and Leaky Drain.

The DOD probably had to pay some public relations consultant millions to come up with those two beauties. :eek: :eek:

Paid out of a budget they spectaculairly failed to name Tardis. You know... appearing smaller then it really is. smile.gif