arty bug repeated

While playing a hot seat quick battle with my son last night,(teaching him the ropes) I helped him move his 75mm arty spotter, 97m from target set up los, and waited for the arty to fall on my men. Instead it landed 131m to his right and 45m behind him. He could of very well wiped out his flank if I hadn't beat him to it. Is this a bug or just the new arty? I do not own cmbb. The rounds continued to fall, they were not just targeting rounds. When I tried to re-adjust it for him, it almost landed on him.

Originally posted by Agua:

Somebody has GOT to save one of these files when it happens, so it can be sent to bfc.

Well, the problem is that a hotseat or TCP savegame does not show the same movie every time.

A PBEM move would be most helpful I presure - except that nobody of BFC tells chimes in so I speculate smile.gif

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

I have saved games (PBEM) that I think demonstrate this.. from the CMAK demo. I established a targeting line with 105 mm spotter, which was later obscured by smoke before the artillery fell, and it fell way off target.. I'll doublecheck this weekend if I have time...

J Kruger

Documented behaviour. The view was obscured before the fire for effect went underway.

What we suspect might be broken is off-target fire for effect when LOS was give at the time the spotting rounds fell.

Only last night the AI *attempted* to hit me with his arty only to have the rounds land a good 200m off his own flank. So what we are saying is if the LOS is obscured by smoke *before* the countdown has finished the rounds may land off target? I havent really used arty to a massive extent but I certainly remember one lot being on target (of sorts) but several more lots being very off target.

Originally posted by redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

I have saved games (PBEM) that I think demonstrate this.. from the CMAK demo. I established a targeting line with 105 mm spotter, which was later obscured by smoke before the artillery fell, and it fell way off target.. I'll doublecheck this weekend if I have time...

J Kruger

Documented behaviour. The view was obscured before the fire for effect went underway.

What we suspect might be broken is off-target fire for effect when LOS was give at the time the spotting rounds fell. </font>

FACT: A CMAK arty strike plotted to a point within LOS will go haywire if LOS is obscured by SMOKE during the waiting period, AND that smoke persists while the strike is happening. I've yet to find out if the strike will be on-target if the smoke blockage ceases before the rounds begin falling. I'll be testing that and more soon.

FACT: If a spotter's LOS to his target point is blocked by smoke (after plotting), but the smoke clears before ANY rounds fall, the strike will sometimes, if not all the time, STILL BE OFF TARGET, but it is adjustable.

So, if your spotter's LOS gets blocked by SMOKE during the delay, even briefly, you will have to re-select the target point once LOS clears (an adjustment), or cancel the strike.

Moving on now to dust.

humm i don't have cmak yet (just ordered it) but i have been playing cmbb for a year.... could it be due to the fact that there is now a lot more "smoke" in cmak due to the dust arty or tanks make. it might be minimal los loss to the player but for the ai it might be different. I.E: spotting round lands creating a little bit of dust that makes the FO lose LoS to it and then it lands off target

FACT: Dust has no effect on arty strike accuracy as long as the target point was within spotter LOS at the time of plotting.

Smoke is the real enemy of arty spotters. Dust is only a nuisance when present in the Orders Phase because it might obstruct LOS to places you would normally be able to see.

I now believe smoke is the cause of my arty problems with CMAK. Even a small amount of smoke, that BRIEFLY blocks spotter LOS during the arty delay, will send the rounds off target.

If it is a windy scenario, the smoke could come and go quickly, hardly noticed by the player if lots of other things are happening. Still, if that smoke blocked your spotter's LOS, you have a botched strike.

It's possible I may have jumped to conclusions based on limited testing. I should repeat the multi-turn tests several times to be absolutely sure of my "FACTS". I will do this when actual games seem to contradict what I have stated here. I doubt I'll need to test further.

Again, I have a thought that is not precisely about the problem being discussed here, but I think is closely enough related to bring up in this thread.

I think it would be closer to reality if—when a spotting round for whatever reason drops out of sight of the FO—instead of dropping a FFE salvo immediately, the game would automatically drop another spotting round. Furthermore, it might be nice if there were a correction process even when the SRs do fall in sight. That is, they get progressively closer to the intended target until they are within some defined distance, say 100 meters or something like that. Then and only then would the FFE be fired.

For the serious arty grogs in the audience, does this sound approximately realistic, or is it too ideal?

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Again, I have a thought that is not precisely about the problem being discussed here, but I think is closely enough related to bring up in this thread.

I think it would be closer to reality if—when a spotting round for whatever reason drops out of sight of the FO—instead of dropping a FFE salvo immediately, the game would automatically drop another spotting round. Furthermore, it might be nice if there were a correction process even when the SRs do fall in sight. That is, they get progressively closer to the intended target until they are within some defined distance, say 100 meters or something like that. Then and only then would the FFE be fired.

For the serious arty grogs in the audience, does this sound approximately realistic, or is it too ideal?

Michael

Michael,

Thats they way it should be. You keep adjusting the SR within 100 meters then called FFE. When I use the arty in CMAK, I see one round drop in then within 5 seconds there is a salvo of rounds that is about 200 meters to the left of the target every dam time. Its getting to the point that I wont use arty anymore.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

FACT: Dust has no effect on arty strike accuracy as long as the target point was within spotter LOS at the time of plotting.

Smoke is the real enemy of arty spotters. Dust is only a nuisance when present in the Orders Phase because it might obstruct LOS to places you would normally be able to see.

I now believe smoke is the cause of my arty problems with CMAK. Even a small amount of smoke, that BRIEFLY blocks spotter LOS during the arty delay, will send the rounds off target.

If it is a windy scenario, the smoke could come and go quickly, hardly noticed by the player if lots of other things are happening. Still, if that smoke blocked your spotter's LOS, you have a botched strike.

It's possible I may have jumped to conclusions based on limited testing. I should repeat the multi-turn tests several times to be absolutely sure of my "FACTS". I will do this when actual games seem to contradict what I have stated here. I doubt I'll need to test further.

This may be the case, but it also brings up something else. I was never in the military, but even I know enough not to send arty 200 meters to my left when I want it to go 200 meters dead ahead, just because smoke and dust obscured my LOS for twenty seconds. I don't think I'd be *that* much off when calling in the strike.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I'm not sure brief blocking of spotter LOS to the target point by smoke is supposed to send the strikes off-target. It seems wrong to me. It could be a bug, rather than intended behaviour.

The only question should be if he can see the spotting rounds. If he can, then the barrage should land where the spotting rounds came down.

If he cannot see the spotting round, then the barrage should not start.

What kind of realism is that?

- Battery: "Could you see the spotting rounds"

- Spotter: "Up, no, they went off somewhere, no clue"

- Battery: "Well OK then, FFE"

It also sounds like even a LOS interrupt that ended before the spotting rounds fell causes arty to be off-target. No good. pls fix or do somefink if so.

Originally posted by kingjames:

We were in amongst the woods, no desert and there was no smoke. It is possible that the tired bug struck the spotter, he had come a long distance.

What's that "tired bug" supposed to mean?

Please people, if threads like these are filled up with nebulous hints at mysterious bugs it's no wonder BFC doesn't react on them.