60 scenarios converted...scenariomakers please read

Hello.

well, where to start...

Some of u might know i have made alot of maps for cmbb. I used to make those just because i liked to make them and for playing my brother on.

Ive made a few new ones since i now have cmak aswell, but after downloading all scenarios and maps from the depot i thought to myself; whats the use in making maps with all these so well playable, nice looking and so differend ones around?

So what i did, since my brother and me need maps for games, i converted what i thought would make the nicest game possibliltys for us; taking away the units, replacing flags and setupzones, cutting down the maps in size, changed some elements and so on. about 52 of them (i think round 8 of these are made by myself), and renamed them simply, map1 up untill map60. My brother and i already played two of these...

My question now would be, i mean i would like to post this in a mappack if others would like to save some time when choozing a map to play someone on...but what do the makers of scenarios think?...is this undone?...would any of u be offended by this?; your hard work being taken away?...Please remember that your scenarios will be played by some anyway, and others might change your scenarios to quickbattle maps at home anyway...i think most do. And i would not be taking any credit at all for the malking of the maps.

(however i dont remember al makers of the maps i used...so its pretty hard to all ask u personaly)

Just think of it as a mod.

Have i thought this through enough? i mean what if, lol, one of u scenario makers sais no i dont want u to do this, so i should take his map out? i dont know witch, so it al stops right there;)

yeah great; im being so smart;)

anyway, if noone minds i will go ahead with it say next week or week after.

Cause its so very good to have maps to chooze and start games on emediatly.

...so what u say?

[ October 07, 2004, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

No problems, if you do more it might be useful to record where (by puting one or more labels on the map itself) of where the map came from (scenario/operation name) and author and who modified it (you I guess)

I say that because I once played an email game on a "stripped" map and was unable to find the scenario that it originally belonged too.

Hans

Hmm, I think it'd be better if you knew who had done the original maps. I don't think there is a problem otherwise. And if you know which maps are done by whom, then if one author is grumpy enough not to accept it, you can just remove his maps from the pack.

In your case, though, the problem seems to be that you have already forgotten which of those 60 maps was whose. Hmm.

One option is that when people recognise something that they've done, they can notify you about it and then you can update the pack by including the credits for the map. That still leaves the risk of people feeling betrayed if they perceive it as a way of stealing the fruits of their hard labour with no recognition. So I don't know which way you should go... the hard but safe, or the easy but risky way?

WWB; thats just the problem. I downloaded every scenario and every map available from the depot. Its a bulk. And just renamed the once i changed to map1 and so on. Now there are 60 al called by number and looking up who made witch is pretty hard.

IF Hans is Wayne (Hans) Ruthlegde, i know atleast 15 or so are from his hand. (Since he makes such good maps, and also alot of them)

I know one is from Fredrock, since i played that one in cmbb to playtest for him (guess he converted it)...as for the others, i could do a search, looking through the downloads, but linked those up with the same looks, means i have to memorize what i see and then search al 60 just to find one match...and that over and over...;)

Since u wouldnt like me to go ahead on posting your map along, i could download your scenarios again and take a look at those if one of those is used now, and take them out, if so.

I would do that. no problem.

Originally posted by theike:

WWB; thats just the problem. I downloaded every scenario and every map available from the depot. Its a bulk. And just renamed the once i changed to map1 and so on. Now there are 60 al called by number and looking up who made witch is pretty hard.

IF Hans is Wayne (Hans) Ruthlegde, i know atleast 15 or so are from his hand. (Since he makes such good maps, and also alot of them)

I know one is from Fredrock, since i played that one in cmbb to playtest for him (guess he converted it)...as for the others, i could do a search, looking through the downloads, but linked those up with the same looks, means i have to memorize what i see and then search al 60 just to find one match...and that over and over...;)

Since u wouldnt like me to go ahead on posting your map along, i could download your scenarios again and take a look at those if one of those is used now, and take them out, if so.

I would do that. no problem.

Wayne Rutledge that's me in the real world. You could zip up the whole lot and sent it out to the designers who could then agree or disagree on who made what, we can fight over who made the good ones.....

I'd recommend you start over, download and strip the maps out of ALL the scenarios after the designers agree. Bit of problem but it will avoid any annoyed guys who don't agree. I just took one of my scenarios and stripped it down and it only takes a few minutes, longer if you take the labels out. One could also use Pyewacket's software to copy them which wipes out all the associated info anyway.

Packets of good maps would be valuable to both the CMBB and CMAK guys. One could also make it an assembly line operation with a number of people stripping maps and sending them to you for organization and preparation for posting.

Yes....Its probably better i dont post this lot with no info about where the maps came from.

I might start again, i dont know. Ah hell; maybe i will stick to making a few myself again.

I agree on that its 'not-done'.

If i decide to go for a new lot, i shall make the makers name visable somewhere, and also contact them about it. But i might decide not to, since its alot of work, for really something that should not take up so much time and effort.

Stripping the maps down doesnt take much time, indeed. Changing them to play a differend type of battle on, takes a bit more time...but doesnt give the maker much respect.

It would be better to keep these private, and for own use. I have my 60 now and we are quit happy about it; it makes choozing and playing a game for us more fun now...;)

Sergei

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Hans:

One could also make it an assembly line operation with a number of people stripping maps and sending them to you for organization and preparation for posting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that's good thinking, there.

;) Go ahead Sergei....it wont be me;)