New CMAK Companion Book now available and shipping!!!!!

Since the release of CMAK (and even before) people have asked if we were going to make a new Strategy Guide or similar offering in support.

Well, today we are proud to announce the answer to that question.

The CMAK Companion: The Battery Commander, his Batman and a Cook, is a new 450 page book published by Battlefront.com.

It is comprised of over 150 first person accounts of action in the Med. Theater and is the perfect resource for students of history, gamers, scenario designers and the occasional uber-Grog.

To help showcase the awesome repository this book represents, we asked some of the CM Communities best scenario designers to read the book and make up scenarios using what they read.

The results are 12 brand new exclusive CMAK scenarios which you can download right now from the new CMAK Companion webpage (link below).

This softcover book is priced at an attractive $20 but we are also offering a new special bundle which combines the CMAK Companion Book and a copy of CMAK the game for only $50.

<P align="left">Click <u>HERE</u> for more info including sample chapters from the book and to gain access to the new downloadable scenarios!</font>

Madmatt

[ March 29, 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to add that Tom Reiter really has done one amazing job with the Companion, and use this opportunity to say a big "thanks" for his dedication, effort and vision.

The whole book from conception to realisation was his idea, and while were skeptical at first, after reading the first rough draft already it was clear that we simply had to do this.

There is something about the book that makes it really difficult to put it down. It's "Just one more chapter..." all over. The whole idea of condensing the best episodes from a number of sources makes this the most densly action packed WW2 book I've seen so far.

Anyway, I'll stop here before it sounds too much like a pitch, when it's supposed to be just an honest "thanks, great job!" to Tom.

Martin

rune and Andreas - you've got mail, though I don't know if I still have your current email addresses.

EDIT - rune, your am****** email address is overfull, and Andreas' email got bounced too. I wanted to address a couple of minor questions about the Canadian scenario briefings. Can you email me please?

[ March 10, 2004, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

LOL!! You're too much, Grog Dorosh.

So, have you bought the book yet? I'll expect a full book report with your next turn, which is due several days ago. I'd suggest getting the book special express air mailed via long range cannon so you can get cracking ASAP.

Treeburst155 out.

Sincere good wishes to Battlefront for the success of this venture. I have no plans on purchasing one.

Will look forward to the reviews from others here. I can't imagine my review would be half as interesting as those of true tactics grogs. I'm just some weirdo who collects uniforms and patches and writes the odd book or two about them - hardly relevant to this undertaking.

JasonC is a cannoncocker from way back, I suspect a copy way be winging his way as we speak.

Originally posted by Ron:

Anyways starting reading the excerpt on the Italians from Beda Fomm with their radioless tanks and wonder why in CMAK they do have radios.

Ron

There is a thread devoted to bugs that you may want to consider posting to, it is at

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=30;t=001448;p=1

There has been no "official" response to the thread but it looks like one or two things from the first installment of the thread were looked at. You may want to post that info there if it hasn't already been mentioned. I haven't had time or inclination to bring the first post up to date.

before you post it as a bug, make sure.

Here we see two tanks captured by the Aussies near Beda Fomm, and look, radio antennas.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-armour/enemy/italian_ww2.htm

Here a destroyed tank at Beda Fomm has a radio antenna.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/1975/g_itawna.htm

However, I also see pictures of tanks without them. Perhaps some did and some didn't?

Found one more site, the radio antenna are clearly shown.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/1975/g_tnkita.htm

Rune

Thanks for the email Andreas.

Rune, realize you're busy but I'll go ahead and post my comments to you here as they are applicable to all scenario designers.

I noticed some errors in the Blessings briefing from the new scenarios. The CW had a very unique system of nomenclature; it may be a minor thing but an inaccurate briefing blows it for a lot of people. I do tend to judge a book by its cover and I'm not alone. With that in mind, just some minor points:

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD

The 2nd Canadian Brigade included the PPCLI, you have said instead that they were "otherwise known as" the PPCLI. 2nd Brigade contained battalions of three regiments - the PPCLI, the 1st Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, and the 1st Battalion of the Loyal Edmonton Regiment. The "1st Battalion" designation is almost always dropped as the Canadian Active Service Force (renamed in 1940 the Canadian Army (Overseas)) consisted entirely of "1st Battalions", with 2nd, 3rd and 4th Battalions all kept at home in Canada.

Also, "Company A" and "Company B" are American designations. We would have switched the designators to "A" Company and "B" Company (or alternately Able and Baker, using the US phonetic alphabet adopted circa 1943). The use of quotes around the company letter was normal at that time but may be considered optional and archaic for purposes of a scenario briefing. But the order should still be changed.

I'd also change "Sherman platoon" to Sherman troop" as platoon is a US designation also.

In the Canadian briefing you talk about a "section" of Shermans, this is also incorrect. Needs to be "troop". "Section" may have been used in some instances to refer to 2-vehicle subunits, not 4-tank troops.

You refer to a "squad" of infantry - in fact, this would have been the correct place to use "section." The word "squad" has never been used in Canadian order of battle terminology. It is used, however, when giving drill to new recruits. It refers to a drill command broken down into movements (squads). Ie "One Section will Present Arms By Numbers - Squad One! Squad Two! Squad Three!"

Thanks for including Canadians in the new scenarios - I've offered in the past to assist in proofreading Canadian stuff and the offer still stands. I am sure there are many here who would take the time willingly to do the same were you to ask.

Great...... i was a "secret" Beta tester..and i knew NOTHING about it at the time...why of all the cunning devious tricks......

BTW... i am wondering if i am behind the times too much...but that Matilda on the CMAK Companion page looks like new 3D artwork.....KwazyDan..... have you been a bold bold boy and digested all them new 3D app books?? ;) Is this what theCMX2 engine will be showing us in due course....damn sexy 3D stuff??

Regards

MÃ¥kjager

Every officer had a batman. He basically ran around looking after 'his' officer - cooking, cleaning, driving (sometimes), preparing a bedspace, looking after his horse, etc. The theory was that a good officer should be so busy looking after his men that he didn't have time to look after himself, so he had someone else to do that for him.

It was also a carry over from the days when officers were exclusivly upper class, and everyone had a servant.

It got dropped shortly after WWII.

Regards

JonS