Do people play TCP/IP on CMAK?

Because I'm so completely dissapointed with CMSF I might just revert to CMAK (I own CMBB but not CMAK).

I don't like PBEM much... usually I feel like playing for a few hours at a time and don't like being tied to the well, very, responsive and drawn out nature of PBEM. I want to start a battle and finish it in the same sitting. I always hated the feeling when I used to PBEM on West Front when I was eager to KEEP PLAYING but couldn't. Call me impatient if you like.

So... do decent amounts of people play CMAK on TCP/IP? What ways are there to get in touch with players other than the forums? (i.e. is there something more... instantaneous?) Don't lie to me now!

[ November 16, 2007, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: NoxSpartana ]

I used to play a fair number of TCP/IP games, and up to ten PBEM games. I'm just too damn busy to handle more than two or three PBEMs, and these not as efficiently as I'd like. There aren't all that many real time players just floating about, and this number is further reduced by those who can't host games. I do prefer it to PBEM, and if I weren't so busy I would likely be disappointed in my lack of recent games.

Originally posted by J.R.:

I play TCP with my gaming buddy every once in awhile... usually because we start a game in PBEM mode and both get excited to finish it.

I don't think people hook up randomly to play TCP games though...

FWIW.

You can switch from PBEM to TCP/IP play mode? Does it work to the other direction, too?

Originally posted by zwobot:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J.R.:

I play TCP with my gaming buddy every once in awhile... usually because we start a game in PBEM mode and both get excited to finish it.

I don't think people hook up randomly to play TCP games though...

FWIW.

You can switch from PBEM to TCP/IP play mode? Does it work to the other direction, too? </font>

Originally posted by NoxSpartana:

Because I'm so completely dissapointed with CMSF I might just revert to CMAK (I own CMBB but not CMAK).

What took you so long? tongue.gif You are not alone in your disappointment. CMSF simply made me appreciate CMBB/CMAK even more, and the same goes for all my long standing trusty CMBB/CMAK PBEM opponents.

And don't worry about expressing your disappointment here on these forums. BFC have made it clear that the voice of the people who actually post on these forums mean little/nothing to them as they consider us as such a small "outlier" fringe section of the market they are after, a "peanut gallery" in their own words, that the potential for us to influence the sales of CMSF in the larger market with such negatively is insignficant. Lucky for them.

I don't like PBEM much... usually I feel like playing for a few hours at a time and don't like being tied to the well, very, responsive and drawn out nature of PBEM. I want to start a battle and finish it in the same sitting. I always hated the feeling when I used to PBEM on West Front when I was eager to KEEP PLAYING but couldn't. Call me impatient if you like.)

I understand what you are saying and feel that way at times as well, but PBEM has been my core way to play CMBB/CMAK. Find some trusty PBEM opponents and you will turnover at least one PBEM file a day. It's almost like CMAK/CMBB is SO good to play that it leaves you begging for more once you start. That is maybe why I have never burnt out on CMx1/CMBB/CMAK and find myself having played it constantly since 2000.

So... do decent amounts of people play CMAK on TCP/IP? What ways are there to get in touch with players other than the forums? (i.e. is there something more... instantaneous?) Don't lie to me now!

Sometimes I too just want to play a QB from start to finish but I know I am not likely going to find an opponent whenever I want. I generally find it too tedious to try and preorganise a time instead. If I do try I might log on to the Proving Grounds Chat but I am not sure if it still works or if and when it gets busy.

I havnt had much luck with WeBoB for IP games yet. But then again I stopped looking because all it led to was me checking my e-mail constantly and never getting any challenges

I feel simiar. I think its best to find someone to play with regularly. I once played with someone for weeks with huge battles. Lost touch with him though.

Do you have any instant messengers or anything? I think TCP/IP players should get to together using a messenger to hook up for games, maybe post a list every once and a while of nicknames for playing.

It would be much better than a chatroom because nobody really monitors a chatroom and a messenge screen pops up plus you can tell when people are away and when they'll be back etc. I use AIM personally, im refugeeca

Im in Korea and I dont have crap else to do but play games and I dont enjoy PBEM much compared to IP games. I'd rather have to save and reload instead of go through so slowly. Let me know if you wanna play

[ November 22, 2007, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: PLM2 ]