Tactically interesting maps?

Europa

I like maps where you get many tactical options in QBs, but I generally prefer realistic maps for historical scenarios. Sounds obvious but still...

Back then I was quite impressed by Manstein maps for CMBB he made for QBs. Dunno if he did some for CMAK ? Look for his packs at cmmods.com.

Best

Originally posted by Blah Blah Blah:

I like maps that don't look as if they have had certain terrain put there specifically. I don't want to think that piece of terrain was done for a reason.

That was always my gripe with the old Squad Leader game. The map boards all looked like miniature golf courses, not like real world terrain.

Michael

Originally posted by securityguard:

The best maps are the ones with subtle choke points, varying elevation and most importantly organized terrain. A bad map is one where the terrain is skewed all over the place randomly. Real terrain almost never looks like that, it usually has some sort of pattern to it.

Very true. I hope the map generator for QBs in CMx2 is a bit better in that regard, but I'm not sure how you'd write that into a program. It's not bad most of the time even now, but it does do some distinctly odd things now and again that you wouldn't see in real life, like roads going straight up the sides of cliffs, for instance.

;)

Michael

One other thing in regard to roads and grades, where a road is proceeding across the face of an incline, in the game, it has the same slope as the surface it's on, whereas in real life there would be a cut in the hillside so that the road surface is level from one side to the other. I hope that is clear; I know it's a little hard to visualize from a verbal description.

Michael

Hi ME!

" ...so that the road surface is level from one side to the other...."

It has always niggled me that the 'roads' are painted on the terrain and follow its contours rather than being 'level'. Apart from the small amount of extra work in map making in these games, in real life roads cut into and built up on the terrain provide really useful cover (sometimes the only cover available).

On a similar theme, Pill Boxes (Bunkers)! In game on hilly terrain these give a whole new aspect to the term 'Jerry Built'. I remember in the original 'Valley of trouble" Demo being amazed at being able to place one of these on the junction of two sloping tiles so the the PB was at an angle of 45 degrees and hanging over the edge - just like that old Charlie Chaplin film!

Something to fix in CM the new?

Seasons greetings to one and all - David