Why not modern?

Originally posted by REVS:

Why not WWII? I mean the whole of WWII?

DVD game, not CD.

Pick your theatre: France 1940, North Africa, Barbarossa, Finland, Normandy, Berlin, Holland, Italy, Crete, Yugoslavia, Burma...

Then go for it. Now, that would be good fun!

AMEN! That would be the untimate game... but include the Spanish civil war too... it would be very very cool to do all that early stuff... or even cooler to have a super campaign and try to win the war as the germans....!!!!!!

Stick to the WW2.

There are still important battles that haven´t been fought in CM. These include Poland, the Winter War, the Netherlands, France, Yugoslavia and Greece, not forgetting the Burma and Pacific campaign.

Oh and make a re-issue of CMBO to match CMBB and CMAK. What? No? Just asking... :rolleyes:

Tacops is a great game, if you want modern. The scale for CM is perfect for WW2 battles. If its graphics, then maybe someone could invest in upgrading those in Tacops.

CM is about WW2. That's what it is. Why try to make it something its not? When this team has grown tired of it, they will move on to something else, then a new team will rise and strive toward the perfect WW2 tactical game. Right now, this is it. I hope they keep refining the WW2 game as long as they can tolerate it. Let others do modern.

CM is about combined arms combat. If the next engine is as moddable as it has been hinted, I think that it would be able to cover 'modern' combat just as well as WW2 combat, as there is little to no fundamental difference.

As I see it, wargaming is all about the hypothetical anyway. A cold war era game would be excellent as a change of scenary, but I would expect it to come back to WW2 eventually.

I'm very happy to see WW2 done fully and completely in CM-style. Whether it's user-moddable or not, I hope that we'll be able to create scenarios (and perhaps a new style of campaign) from 1939 to 1945 in any part of the globe. Including (fingers crossed) the Pacific.

Of course, if they wanted to expand the focus to 1936-1956, given that the Spanish CW and the Korean War both occurred roughly at WW2's tech level, that'd be fine too.

Since we have so many of these threads to choose from, I decided to reply here...

Originally posted by Michael Emrys in thread 'Why WW2?':

People seem to be forgetting the Arab-Israeli wars. Four big ones fought between 1948 and 1973. In the first, the Israelis were completely outclassed in terms of numbers and quality of equipment, yet managed to deal their enemies a series of stunning defeats. After that, the equipment gap closed and then gradually reopened in favor of the Israelis, but they never had the numbers.

Regardless of what sentiments one holds regarding the political situation, the military aspects are downright fascinating, and would lend themselves better to a CM type game than any other scenarios mentioned in this thread aside from Korea and India-Pakistan.

Michael

Some objections:

a) Desert war has already been labelled as boring by many in CMAK

B) Syrian Conscript T-62's vs. Israeli Veteran and Crack Patton's - not that interesting, you get plenty of that already by playing CMBB and sticking to 1941

c) None of them speak American => this was a major problem for certain types in CMBB :rolleyes:

d) Especially in the desert the long ranges of ATGM's etc. might be a playability problem, while naturally I expect playing on large maps to be improved (mini-map, OOB etc.)

e) While there were several wars, some of them lasted for - what, six days? A single Ostfront battle has more interesting scenario material to offer than all the Arab-Israeli wars combined.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Since we have so many of these threads to choose from, I decided to reply here...

Aha! Caught you! Another of your sneaky tricks has failed you, Sir Gay!

Originally posted by Michael Emrys in thread 'Why WW2?':

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> People seem to be forgetting the Arab-Israeli wars. Four big ones fought between 1948 and 1973. In the first, the Israelis were completely outclassed in terms of numbers and quality of equipment, yet managed to deal their enemies a series of stunning defeats. After that, the equipment gap closed and then gradually reopened in favor of the Israelis, but they never had the numbers.

Regardless of what sentiments one holds regarding the political situation, the military aspects are downright fascinating, and would lend themselves better to a CM type game than any other scenarios mentioned in this thread aside from Korea and India-Pakistan.

Michael

Some objections:

a) Desert war has already been labelled as boring by many in CMAK</font>

Originally posted by Lord Harmes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by REVS:

Why not WWII? I mean the whole of WWII?

DVD game, not CD.

Pick your theatre: France 1940, North Africa, Barbarossa, Finland, Normandy, Berlin, Holland, Italy, Crete, Yugoslavia, Burma...

Then go for it. Now, that would be good fun!

AMEN! That would be the untimate game... but include the Spanish civil war too... it would be very very cool to do all that early stuff... or even cooler to have a super campaign and try to win the war as the germans....!!!!!! </font>

Can't say anything beyond the WWII (perhaps Korean) war era would interest me at all. The chance of CMX2 engine truly capturing the essence of the volitale, unpredictable nature of the Vietnam war is next to none. There isn't an AI programmer in the world that could do it.

WWII gets my vote.

i see that many ppl have a problem with too long ranges. but when the enemy is shooting at 1000m u can have some infantry sneak up and kill the gun/rocket launcher/shoot down chopper etc. from 50m. anyway in vietnam most fighting was close quarters anyway. that's where i think cm should head.

I'd love to see a hypothetical WW3 game, set in Western Europe during the Cold War.

At the beginning of the scenario, you pick the year. Was the war started in 1945, immediately after WW2? Or did it start over the Berlin Wall Crisis in 1961 or the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962? Or is it the mid-80's? Setup and equipment are obviously different in each...

I realize this will never happen, but I'd like to see it...