Interest in CM tactics article?

Panzer76

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about composing an article like that, how would you divide 'real world' tactics from 'CM game engine' tactcs? Perhaps it might be helpful if you could specfiy for example: "Conducting a recon in North Africa would often require XXX. In CMAK, however, it may be more effficient to ZZZ."

There's a long list of stuff'that works differently in CM than real life. For instance there's breaching barbed wire; use of the Sherman HC smoke round; effectiveness of light artillery; tank platoon control and cooperation; etc.

Yes I agree with the above post. An article like you suggest would be very good. But I suppose you already know to be thick skinned for flak we have seen in past attempts like Pillars Tactics for those who remember.

I think it would be better to just discuss what works in the game, and not real world and state that from the beginning. That should help reduce the responces.

Looking forward to seeing it.

All the best for Christmas all CMer's.

I think desert tactics are really needed, if just to get people into the desert... I've played several great games in the desert recently.

Meet me at Medejez, Clash of the Titans & Khamsin have all been brilliant but I've been totally stumped by the WRBP- Tobruk scenarios... how the hell do you fight on a totally flat battlefield?

PS

Has anyone heard from JasonC in the past few months?

Originally posted by MikeyD:

One thing about composing an article like that, how would you divide 'real world' tactics from 'CM game engine' tactcs? Perhaps it might be helpful if you could specfiy for example: "Conducting a recon in North Africa would often require XXX. In CMAK, however, it may be more effficient to ZZZ."

Part of the problem writing a tactics guide is the amount of varibles that affect the tactics. So, unless you want to write a monster size book really, you cant cover all the different situation, and perhaps not even then.

Which means that you must simplify and generalise to a degree when wiriting. Which in turn, means that people can point at the article and says XXX didnt work in my game, the tactics you write sucks.

And, the guy would be right, in the sense that the tactics would not work under his circumstances.

A good player understands how the different variables affect tactics used, and adjust accordingly.

End of the day, there is just so much you can learn by reading, learning by doing is much better. Articles can help by pointing out mistakes done and come with suggestions on how to improve them.

Too bad you cant make movies in game in CM. (without 3rd party programs, that is)

Originally posted by Salkin:

Panzer76 I'd really like to hear some details about Jasons playing style . Was he that bad ? I mean if you use real world tactics in CM you should definitely do ok.

Please tell me some details about his skirmishes with Walpurgis.

There are some AARs with him on this board I believe, you can search for them. As for details, you would be better of asking the people that has played him smile.gif

Originally posted by 37mm:

Has anyone heard from JasonC in the past few months?

Walpurgis Nacht and another persoan had PBEMs going with him, AFAIK he stopped responding to them at the time he stopped posting on this forum.

Which at the same time he was writing his continuous AAR on this board.

//Salkin

Well he didn't surrender until turn 13, so I guess that was pretty good. tongue.gif

Anyway, it is good hear there is still so much interest in the CM games. Recently I've branched out to try other PC games and after years of CM, nothing else seems to hold up.

Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Salkin:

//Salkin

Well he didn't surrender until turn 13, so I guess that was pretty good. tongue.gif

Anyway, it is good hear there is still so much interest in the CM games. Recently I've branched out to try other PC games and after years of CM, nothing else seems to hold up. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Walpurgis Nacht:

Panzer76 I'll kick your ass any day of the week.

....just not today, you know christmas is around the corner and I don't want to hurt your feelings ;) in this time of joy. </font>

Your much too kind good sir!

• 2 weeks later...

Just posting to:

-Provide encouragement to the writers. A less than mediocre player here, I will wait patiently. Thanks for doing it! From a guy that never contributed anything useful to this forum (me).

-State my disconcert regarding the posts about JasonC. The guy is very smart and contributed much to this forum.

[Edited here for flammable content. Man, I must have some kind of PMS today]

Even if JasonC sucked at gameplay, I would love to read more of his posts, or even a tactics guide.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

I don't see why everyone's so interested in having those two gurus go to all the trouble of putting out such an article; just ask me what I would do and then...

DO THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE!

;):D

But but...if that's what you're telling us to do...

...Daisy daisy give me your answer do.

• 2 weeks later...