How do you pronounce CMAK?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who actually read out abbreviations as if they are words need to be horsewhipped.

Seriously. They tend to be female; I've known one or two terrificly annoying clerks who would say "A coy" instead of "A Company." But worse would be when they answered the phone "Ay Coy Cal Hi's" instead of "A Company, Calgary Highlanders".... due to the fact that at some point they thought our abbreviation - Calg Highrs - should somehow be made into a word, with two silent g's, a silent h, and a silent r. :rolleyes:

I believe the correct pronounciation of CMAK is "Combat Mission: Afrika Korps." :cool:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

People who actually read out abbreviations as if they are words need to be horsewhipped.

Seriously. They tend to be female; I've known one or two terrificly annoying clerks who would say "A coy" instead of "A Company." But worse would be when they answered the phone "Ay Coy Cal Hi's" instead of "A Company, Calgary Highlanders".... due to the fact that at some point they thought our abbreviation - Calg Highrs - should somehow be made into a word, with two silent g's, a silent h, and a silent r. :rolleyes:

I believe the correct pronounciation of CMAK is "Combat Mission: Afrika Korps." :cool:

It must be the cold, Canadian winters....

I've always said See Mack.

I've known one or two terrificly annoying clerks who would say "A coy" instead of "A Company." But worse would be when they answered the phone "Ay Coy Cal Hi's" instead of "A Company, Calgary Highlanders".... due to the fact that at some point they thought our abbreviation - Calg Highrs - should somehow be made into a word, with two silent g's, a silent h, and a silent r.

You so, so seriously need to be kicked in the fork. Repeatedly.

Where's my setup, you unbelievably annoying bastard?

As for the original, rather pointless question, it's pronounced:

C

M

A

K

What's to pronounce? Couldn't your school afford to teach you the fecking alphabet, you halfwit bugger?

P

Well, I guess most of those in your part of the world would still need some teaching in how those words "Afrika Korps" are pronounced. These are German words (otherwise it would be Africa Corps, wouldn't it?). So it is a long German "A". Spoken a bit like the "a" in "Car". Pronounciation of your "a" is like our "ä", and it ain't Äfrika.

If you are able to do this, the rest is not so much different from the pronounciation of Africa Corps, so I'll refrain from teaching you the very subtle differences.

Gruß

Joachim

i've never had the opportunity to actually *say* it. that would imply talking to real people about it, rather than you figments of my solipsistic meanderings.

whenever i've tried to talk to people about it i've got to start waaaay back. 'you know that game i play? the one that's really a simulator of WWII tactics. oh come i'm always...yes that one, well there's a new version out. it's set in North Africa. what? no there's no Zulu's in it...' etc.

but in my head it's See Mack.

I pronounce it: "More heinously addictive than crack."

When not feeling royal, I call it "Combat Mission Afrika Korps" and when in a hurry, "see-MAK".

I agree with you most of the time in principle, Mike, but if you're going down to Honduras and asking for Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus before diving, or using a Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation pointer in presentations, it might get a bit long.

smile.gif

Now... must... return... to assault on Campodoglio...

[ January 06, 2004, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Kozure ]

Originally posted by Sergei:

What, nobody calls them as Charlie Mike Bravo Oscar, Bravo Bravo and Alpha Kilo? Despite all the military personnel here? :confused:

Hey, CMBB as 'Bravo Bravo' - quite fitting. :D

The "correct" phonetics would be Charlie Mike Baker Oboe and Charlie Mike Able King...for late war.

For early war Charlie Monkey Ack King and Charlie Monkey Beer Beer.

I suspect the later might be popular with this crowd.

Had this inversion been called Combat Mission: Mediterranean (CMMN) it would have been Charlie Monkey Monkey Nuts.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sergei:

What, nobody calls them as Charlie Mike Bravo Oscar, Bravo Bravo and Alpha Kilo? Despite all the military personnel here? :confused:

Hey, CMBB as 'Bravo Bravo' - quite fitting. :D

The "correct" phonetics would be Charlie Mike Baker Oboe and Charlie Mike Able King...for late war.

For early war Charlie Monkey Ack King and Charlie Monkey Beer Beer.

I suspect the later might be popular with this crowd.

Had this inversion been called Combat Mission: Mediterranean (CMMN) it would have been Charlie Monkey Monkey Nuts. </font>

I have sincere doubts about how many of the forum users, military types or not, actually use WW2 phonetics when spelling acronyms for their own use. tongue.gif And of course, why limit ourselves to one language?

CMAK: Canada Messico Alfa Kilometro

CMBB: Kilowatt (no 'C' in Russian) Maria Boris Boris

CMBO: Cäesar Martha Berta Otto

Hmm, now I started thinking what kind of phonetics all these armies used back then. I have a feeling the Finnish one hasn't changed much, except very recently...

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I have sincere doubts about how many of the forum users, military types or not, actually use WW2 phonetics when spelling acronyms for their own use. tongue.gif And of course, why limit ourselves to one language?

CMAK: Canada Messico Alfa Kilometro

CMBB: Kilowatt (no 'C' in Russian) Maria Boris Boris

CMBO: Cäesar Martha Berta Otto

Hmm, now I started thinking what kind of phonetics all these armies used back then. I have a feeling the Finnish one hasn't changed much, except very recently... </font>

I shall have to exterminate the entire lot to ensure I haven't missed you. CM is even better than a voodoo doll.

In other words, you'll simply display the same stunningly inept generalship you usually bring to the table, right?

Steve

I pronounce it the way it's spelled: "smack".

Of course, it MAY offend some Canadian types that I do so, however, I'm okay with that.

In fact, when I read the profligate posts by someone named "Michael Dorosh", mentally I pronounce his name "MiDo" (mee-doe).

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Ken