Ooh, let me take you to the Weald places! *MOD WIP preview*

Juju

Originally posted by Wicky:

More Posters

Looks like the Brits were not impervious to making typo's in WW2 - check out the first poster, second row ;)

Wouldn't putting a poster on the wall of one of these buildings result in every building of that type, in a town or city suburb in CMAK, having the same poster? I'm assuming that this would hold true even when the same building with a different orientation (front door facing north instead of east, etc.) is used?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by GoofyStance:

Yep, that's true. But there are three buildings of each type (four for small ones), I'm only doing two small ones, a tall heavy one, and a tall light one (I couldn't possibly do them all, that'd take months and months), so it wouldn't show up too much.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to do this, though. I need to be desperate for some kind of 'wall-filler' for that.

Wicky , thanks for the links. I will take a look at them.

Andreas & Sodball , keep that thread on top, eh. ;)

Hi Juju great work.

Now for a very minor nitpick.

;)

Could I make one small point about the pipe work on the 1st small building shown.

The pipe work on the sidewall is in fact a toilet waste pipe and unless they have really small people in the attic is not really in keeping with a single story building.

It also shows that there are two toilets up there,as there are two pipes merge into one.

The buildings are great and I am looking forward to loading my first mods into CMAK. I only ever loaded mods for CM as I thought CMBB and CMAK were fine as they were, these changes mean I shall have to modify that policy.

smile.gif

Cheers

H

Juju, these mods look stunning, can't wait to get my hands on them.

A (hopefully) constructive suggestion:

The buildings look a bit pristine.

How about a bit of weathering? Remember this was the time of coalburners, smog and Seanachai's middle age. Things would have been dirty and worn, even then.

(Note; I don't want them to look like a bad day at a Polish coal mine, just a touch of wear and dust would do.)

Again, great work!

-Derfel

Originally posted by Holien:

The pipe work on the sidewall is in fact a toilet waste pipe and unless they have really small people in the attic is not really in keeping with a single story building.

I'm already onto that. I figured as much myself that it belongs on a taller building. I'll be moving the entire thing to the tall light one.

Derfel , I will dirty them up a bit (I'm not at that stage yet. WIP, you know), except for the white one, maybe. Imagine it has only recently been whitewashed or something. ;)

just a small point on the waste pipe.

I am not sure how many buildings would have had inside loos in the war.

the pipe work that you seem to be talking about i think is a much later addition.

I know my grandparents houses still had out side loos and they were built in the 1930's.

So would upstairs loos be right?

In fact most terraced houses never had inside bathrooms untill fairly recently.

My first house was a 1875 terrace house and the upstairs bathromm was built in the 3rd bedroom in the later years of if its time.

Originally posted by Andreas:

Juju is marvellous. The semis look like the real things. So much that now CMAK will look like my way to the train station and to work. Which means I no longer will be able to tell reality from the game.

Oh well - going to work is overrated anyway.

We really need to get Juju working on modding Operation Flashpoint, he could recreate entire cities for us. First step is to put his brain in a jar...

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

We really need to get Juju working on modding Operation Flashpoint, he could recreate entire cities for us. First step is to put his brain in a jar...

Brain inna jar? Hmmm, I don't know about this. Doesn't that hurt?

Anyway, If you, or anyone else, wants to you're welcome to convert my work to work with OFP. Heck, it's already being done for a Grand Prix game (I'm not kidding, looks good too), so why not.

Juju, Gautrek is absolutely correct.

That pipework would be wrong on any 1940 house. It looks like it is the standard plastic waste pipes.

Outside toilets were the thing and if you had one inside I would guess it would be on the ground floor?

You have to also bear in mind the status of the house.

Poor / lower middle class = outside toilets in general.

Upper middle / rich = inside toilets, I guess I shall have to do some research on the waste pipes used in that period.

smile.gif

H

The pipes may well be plastic, looking at the picture I took. There are metal pipes in this neighbourhood as well, but it is difficult to get a decent picture of them.

On the larger buildings, in particular the Westminster one, but also probably the Wimbledon one, outdoor metal plumbing should be okay, since they both were higher-status buildings, from my interpretation at least.

I can't believe we are having this discussion. :D

Okay, so the pipes may be plastic, they may be metal, that's beside the point. If they end up in the mod they will be metal.

What I need to know is, were upstairs loos (Andreas is right, I can't believe we're having this discussion :D ) in that period non-existent or simply uncommon. Them being uncommon wouldn't stop me from adding the plumbing. Non-existence would. Any final answers on this from the, um, loo grogs?

I can only speak from the experience of the 1930s house I live in in the Weald. They are probably not typical, since many of them have garages (in the 30s!), but they all have interior bathrooms. All the houses (around 30) have the bathroom in the same location, so unless all houses were modified identically (which I doubt) these 1930s houses all had interior loos.

However, by the 1930s many of the Georgian town houses in Tunbridge Wells had been modified with indoor plumbing. The later Victorian ones frequently had indoor plumbing already.

My gut feeling on this is that outside loos were relatively common but that inside facilities would not be out of place in a 'middle class' home.

Rural farmsteads and villages would definitely not have such facilities - even today around here a great many rural houses use cess pits.