Pacific Theater

Pvt. Ryan, I know all about the CMBO Pacific mod, I did it. The problem is that the number of speech files is much larger in CMBB than in CMBO, 27 Meg for CMBB and around 4-5 for CMBO. The differences must be made up. I did contact Japanzer in Japan about a possible CMBB version but never heard from him, he did the CMBO speech files.

BTW, the CMBO Pacific mod has been ported to CMMOS which I will finish up this Turkey day weekend, I got 5 days off.

MikeT

Well, obviously, I was joking. Also I always thought most Japanese switched Ls and Rs. In Goodbye, Darkness, by William Manchester, the author says the Japanese said, "You die, Maline!" I'm pretty sure that's how he wrote it, but I'd have to seach the whole book to be sure. He then mentioned how the American passwords were created to take advantage of this difficulty.

Well, I think I can help out with this little linguistic side debate. While I'm a native English speaker, for the past couple of years I've been trying to pick up Japanese. I'd hardly call myself a proficient speaker, but I have gained an appreciation of some of the phoenetic and grammatical differences between the languages.

In the Japanese language, there is no 'r' or 'l' sound per se. There is a consonant sound that is about halfway between the english 'r' and the english 'l'. Whether this sound is actually closer to 'r' or 'l' to our (Native English) ear depends on what sounds are occurring around it, local dialect, the individual speaker's ideolect, etc.

As such, Japanese speakers have an *extremely* difficult time telling the difference between the English 'r' and the English 'l' sounds. Their ears are just not accustomed to having to differentiate between the two sounds. A native Japanese speaker is about equally likely to substitute an 'r' out for an 'l' sound when trying to pronounce an English word as the other way around.

Incidentally, the Japanese aren't the only ones who have problems like this. For example, there are several sounds in Mandarin Chinese that are all very similar to the English 'sh' sound - it's difficult for Native English speakers to tell the difference, so American students of Chinese frequently transpose them.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Incidentally, the Japanese aren't the only ones who have problems like this. For example, there are several sounds in Mandarin Chinese that are all very similar to the English 'sh' sound - it's difficult for Native English speakers to tell the difference, so American students of Chinese frequently transpose them.

Cheers,

YD

Ah, the fun of learning the differences between j/q/sh/x/zh (pinyin) in chinese...

Not only the english speakers have problems with them, be assured! smile.gif

My two cents based on two years as an ESL teacher here in China... The main cause of the Asian speakers having problems with the "r" sound is the simple fact that they never "roll" their R's. Example, all of my students have problems with words begining with BR, CR, PR, et al. In fact there are few sounds they make where they vibrate their lip or tongue. Chinese students have the most difficulty with the letters V and TH.

Conversely, it is well nigh impossible for me to replicate THEIR Pinyin "R" words. Renmin (people) sounds like "Lenmin" to me.

Refreshing to find linguistic discussion here on the Forum--puts me in a good mood for class. :D

Umm, the plobrem of L&R is difficurt fol me. :confused:

Many Japanese CM-gamers like the CMBO Pacific mods except my voice(Japanese speech files in the mods).

An Japanese gamer uses voices taken from war-movies, animations, etc.

Native speakers have severe evaluation about their language. :(

>MikeT

I have thoght you won't make CMBB IJA-mods. I don't know why.

If you'll make IJA-mods, I'm willing to help you.

Language problems are not the same for all asian countries, they each have their own unique flavour. In Thailand for example, people can not easily pronounce "l" when it comes after a vowel, because in Thai language, although there is an "l" sound, it is pronounced as an "n" when after a vowel. So I always have people say thigns to me such as "Do you like footbon?", it takes me a while to work out they are talking about football!

...Oh, and the funniest thing about Japanese people trying to speak Japanese is not their confusion about telling the difference between "l" and "r", but rather the fact that they MUST place a vowel after a consonant, with the exception of the letter "n". So, the way they pronounce McDonald's is Ma-Ku-Do-Na-Ru-Do!!!!!

By the way, I'm not trying to look down on these people here, I lived in Japan for 2 years and am currently in Thailand, a lot of them speak English better than foreigners in their countries can speak their languages.