Another useless poll...

Okay - this is one of the more 'useless' threads, but anyway, being curious and all (and slightly bored at the moment...)

I reckon everyone has his (or her?) favorite vehicle in the game - not necessarily because it shoots the cr*p out of your opponent, but maybe just because the camo goes well with the crew's attire, or you like the look on your fellow citizens' faces when you take it out for a sunday joyride through the neighborhood - or because it shoots the cr*p out of your opponent. ;)

Now if all concerned CMAK players would list, like their 2 or 3 most beloved vehicles in the game and tell us why they like them (and maybe we could learn something useful after all...)

And hopefully I won't see Tigers or Panthers mentioned all over the place - try to be imaginative - list some of the underdogs.

Now to get things going here's my favs:

1. M10 Tank destroyer

- weak armor, slow turret, not nearly enough ammo for the .50, but hey, who cares: IT CAN KILL A TIGER!!! :D For a ridiculous low price you get a self propelled 76mm ATG early on - and teach those big cats a lesson (or two, or three, or whatever number of hits it takes to bring it down.)

- And I kinda like the british designation 'Wolverine' redface.gif

2. M16 MGMC (there ought to be a HT in the list ;) )

- 4x50 - need I say more? Ever since the time I saw it shooting a Stug to bits, I just can't get enough of that quad .50ies rattle. And besides killing weak armored vehicles and cutting down infantry it's also said to be good in an air defense role.

3. The Churchill AVRE

- anything that can bring down a building with a single shot ought to be cool! Don't seize a town without it.

:cool:

1. M24 Chafee

In my opinion, the only really cool looking American tank in the game. Fast, and the gun is virtually as good as a Shermans.

2. Jagdpanther

The ubertank. Beast of war that can defy anything it's opponents throw at it.

3. M18 Hellcat

Okay, a somewhat obvious choice, but anything that can go 55 mph on tracks deserves a lot of credit.

The M4A3 Sherman HVSS "Easy Eight" is also pretty cool 'cause it has wide tracks. Makes all the difference.

What are my favorites? Hmm...

1) 251/9 "Stummel" halftrack

The saving grace of Germans plagued with low armor caps. Packs every round the 75/L24 gun can fire, so it's both lethal against medium enemy armor and infantry (luv the canister rounds).

2) The Marder series

Nothing sweeter than an eggshell armor capable of destroying nearly all enemy vehicles.

3) Hetzer 38(t)

The little tank that could. redface.gif

And a special runner-up:

Semovente M43 da 105/25

You know, an Italian armor that's nearly a challenge to Allied forces!

oh i say the valentines (the later models with the hi-velocity 50mm gun... or is that 57mm?)

and of course the Easy Eight (its in my freakin name!) cos it just looks so damned cool!

on the axis side i have to say those early wierd tanks on the italian side that has the track going all around... you know what i mean... i think they might be fiat or renault or something... they really suck but look cool

My favorite vehicle...

U.S. M15 AA halftrack w 2 .50cals on either side of am automatic 37mm. - I have a special relationship with this vehicle. A few years ago I had to draw-up a set of 'official' scale plans of the thing based on little more than ESP. It was only last year that I stumbled across the 37mm gun mount for an M15 being used as a VFW gate guardian a few towns over from my old home town. I doubt anybody knew what they had. :D

Valentine X.- This little Valentine is SOOOOO not a Sherman! And the 6 pdr's got some bite to it.

[ March 02, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Allied:

M3 Medium: It is the Deux Chevaux of tanks. It seems to be a bastard agglomeration of left over parts cobbled together after a terrible accident on the proving grounds.

M18 Hellcat: This thing is a real treat to use ingame. IMO, much more effective than the Axis types (Marder, etc) and just as vulnerable.

M3 Light (Stuart): That 37mm is a fine weapon and it's quite agile. Optics could be better, but hey, at reasonably close range and good light it's just a effective.

Axis:

Panzerkampfwagen.III.Ausf.J (Late) (Sd.Kfz.141/1):

It's decent looking, it's fast, reasonably armed and armored, and has good optics. The cupola makes its SA a bit better than vehicles without one.

Panzerkampfwagen.V "Panther" (any variant): Do I really need to explain this one? I mean, come on....It looks fantastic, packs a helluva wallop, is more moblie than any other Pz. (and most Allied rides), plus it has just about all the traditional advantages of optics and situational awareness. Its armor isn't too shabby either.

Tiger.Ausf.B simply because of its superior ballistic profile (frontal). The Henschel turret was a masterpeice, imo.

M24 Chaffee:

Such a sweet little tank. And I've always had good luck with them. Well, almost always.

Marder III:

Pretty cheap but can KO just about anything.

StuG (any)

C'mon, they're awesome. Cheap, tough, a good tank to have if you don't mind not having a turret.

Originally posted by Dave H:

In 1940, when the T-34 went into production, which contemporary tank could match its combination of mobility, sloped armor, and effective gun? Didn't the German Army begin installing heavier guns in their own tanks in response to it? :confused: :confused:

No radio, the gun was only effective against lighter German armor... And the tank was blown up in throngs after Germans updated their tank guns.

T-34 might've been an example of the benefits of standardization, but not exactly superior technology. ;)

Remember, we're talkin' "favorite" and not "best". By that standard a misguided soul could proclaim his love for the little Italian L5/21 tank! For some reason I just don't seem to be able to locate Dave H's T-34 in CMAK ;):D .

Someone mentioned Chaffee. That reminds me for all my months of playing the game I haven't so much as seen a hint of that vehicle! Well, this is a big game and I don't do much 1945 fighting.