Fellow UK'ers - CDV or BFC?

Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

The waffen thingy is a big deal in my books, I pay for a game and I expect it not to be censored. How long are we looking at before receiving it though? I pre-ordered on the first day from BFC.

BFC post from a depot in the Irish Republic. They sent me TacOps4 that way and it arrived pretty smartish so the boys down there seem quite swept up.

And thanks to the dear old EU, customs isn't an issue (probably the only thing it's good for). I also think that the Eire-UK postal service is quite efficient (as long as you don't mention us shelling the Dublin Main Post Office in Easter '16 - Ooops!).

But the clincher for me is that by buying from BFC you are at least putting the money into the hands of people who do actually give a toss about the game.

Now, all together, 1, 2, 3: 'When Oirish Eyes are Smiling'

I was going to order it direct from BFC. But I had some mail order stuff go missing last week, and the fact that it's on the shop shelves now swayed me....so I got it yesterday. I've never had any problems with CDV and the waffengrenadier thing doesn't bother me.

I'm enjoying playing it now :D

Has any body figured out the differences yet? Last time, not just the WG thing but extra protection on the CD so you could not back it up - it does get worn from a years use! This also meant that CDV could not get all the bmp files on the CD and some were early versions compared to the US release. OK this was corrected by Battlefronts patch.

Is it really the exact same thing as the Battlefront issue apart from the box art?

Not ordered from Battlefront yet and I would like to rush down to Game and just buy a copy of the shelf but after last time ... :eek: :( :confused:

[ December 02, 2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gallear ]

You guys are driving me NUTS! I preordered on day one in the good old USA and now have to wait an indeterminant time while various Brits debate the pros and cons of when, where and how--among their many options--to buy this American made game. Puleeezee!
Only fair mate, given how damn long it took you to join the party in Real Life... :D

Of course, being in Jakarta, need to wait same indeterminate time. Sniff.

Phil - GAME have it in stock if there is a branch near you, my local branch had it in stock on Monday. However, don't confuse the simple souls in there by asking for CMAK like I did - it's Combat Mission 3 to them.

AFAIK the only difference is the Waffenhamster thing, which I can certainly live with especially as they weren't in the desert anyway.

Im just glad that game seem to have the copies - have to go in on Thursday and get mine - I asked a few weeks back and the spotty teenager (no offence to those BTW) looked at me as if I'd come in wearing full Totenkopf regalia. And said he didnt know anything about it at all. I'd love to be able to just walk in and get myself a copy as my Xmas pressie to me from me!

Hi Yossarian,

It's a strange one - I remember that CMBB certainly was available in Europe only via CDV. even though there's the SS issue in Europe, I assumed this decision also related to logistical considerations.

With CMAK it nows seems that BFC have a European supply chain established via a distribution centre in Ireland, so one can order either direct from BFC (presumably full US version with no SS restrictions) or via CDV.

I would have imagined that the price ex-CDV would be higher due to them taking a slice, but from BFC it's USD35 + shipping (GBP20 + shipping) whereas from Amazon it's GBP16.99 + shipping discounted from GBP19.99. So no discernible price differential.

I don't really understand why CDV remain a European distributor when BFC now ship direct. If retaining the distributorship for all 3 games was part of the contract, I'd have thought CDV would have wanted exclusivity in Europe.

Fatuous argument really, but I'm interested...

I've gone down the BFC route...and if it means waiting a few days, thats fine.

My copy of CMBB was a CDV one and the lack of certain insignia or the Wafflegrenadier issue doesnt really bother me that much, even though I did feel that if they were going to produce a German language version targetted primarily for their home market then that is the version that should have been subject to German legislation, not versions for the wider European market.

What DID bother me was that CDV seemed to have a lack of interest in CMBB. Their website didnt really push the game, whilst other WW2 games they were distributing were given lots of exposure.

IMO they just didnt deserve a cut of the game profits .... and this time they wont get one from me tongue.gif

Originally posted by Russkly:

Hi Yossarian,

It's a strange one - I remember that CMBB certainly was available in Europe only via CDV. even though there's the SS issue in Europe, I assumed this decision also related to logistical considerations.

With CMAK it nows seems that BFC have a European supply chain established via a distribution centre in Ireland, so one can order either direct from BFC (presumably full US version with no SS restrictions) or via CDV.

I would have imagined that the price ex-CDV would be higher due to them taking a slice, but from BFC it's USD35 + shipping (GBP20 + shipping) whereas from Amazon it's GBP16.99 + shipping discounted from GBP19.99. So no discernible price differential.

I don't really understand why CDV remain a European distributor when BFC now ship direct. If retaining the distributorship for all 3 games was part of the contract, I'd have thought CDV would have wanted exclusivity in Europe.

Fatuous argument really, but I'm interested...

Well, I can try to explain.

Battlefront.com has been founded as a way to get AWAY from retail distribution. Frankly, it doesn't work well for wargames. Even though you see a lot of WW2 games out there these days, nothing really indicates a new trend - the shops still want to move stock QUICK, still think in $/square footage, and still regard anything that doesn't come with a $1 million co-op marketing budgez (read: bribes to store managers) with suspection. Marketing buzzwords are important, not the quality of the game as such. Or longevity. A shop doesn't care if you throw the game into the trashbin one day after you bought it (in Europe not many stores offer refunds except for faulty products). CM would by now have long been dead if Steve and Charles had gone down the retail route.

Our internet direct sales allow us to get the product from the developer to the player with the least friction, direct feedback, and next to no pressure from the retail market, like meeting holiday deadlines, minimums, stock levels and what not.

The concept works well, as you can see from the fact that there is a CMAK smile.gif But, we're more successful in the US than in Europe. There are many reasons for that, and none is easily solved. By joining up with a retail publisher there, and one who has always treated us fairly well in terms of contracts, payments on time and last but not least market coverage, we are able to increase our market penetration tremendously. Without working hand in hand, only a fraction of European wargamers that are CM fans for years now would have even heard of the game.

But, as we have found out with CMBB, people have been really upset about us for the exclusivity we had given to CDV. So we had decided to force CDV into a non-exclusive deal and offer CMAK directly. It might sound cheesy when I say that we valued our fan base more than cash in hand that CDV was offering for an exclusive deal, but that's precisely what happened.

Does that satisfy your curiosity? smile.gif

Martin

I just thought of another reason why you need the CDV version now. Sheltering behind the 2 page CMAK manual tongue.gif:D is a totally free 22 page CDV advertising brochure. Not only do you get those lovely adverts for 10 quality - cough - games free, you will also be amongst the first to know of a startling technological breakthrough in the computer age.

Yes! Quickly turn to the double spread (he-he) feature on page 15 and feast your eyes because - LULA IS BACK! And.....wait for it.....now available in 3D using the brand newly developed Bouncing Boobs Technology. On goes the advert to highlight the busty delights which await, the new sexy outfits including cowgirl bikini, transparent fashions, and rubber-slut look. We even have Readers Wives style black boxes placed over strategic and definitely enhanced female bodyparts.

You couldn't make this stuff up, and it shows what a quality - double cough - organisation CDV are. I've placed my order anyway redface.gif

[ December 03, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: The Green Rascal ]

Thanks Moon!

Although my buddies in the U.K and Germany already have the game I have nothing against CDV and their marketing abilities. You guys make the best dang tactical wargame in the world...period.

Although us guys in the U.S have to wait for our copies there are no hard feelings from this camp.

I'll just continue to drool whenever I check the screenies my buddies are sending. :D ....so you do owe me a clean shirt!

Bill

Originally posted by Panzertruppe:

Thanks Moon!

Although my buddies in the U.K and Germany already have the game I have nothing against CDV and their marketing abilities. You guys make the best dang tactical wargame in the world...period.

Although us guys in the U.S have to wait for our copies there are no hard feelings from this camp.

I'll just continue to drool whenever I check the screenies my buddies are sending. :D ....so you do owe me a clean shirt!

Bill

We might have a surprise for you US guys. When you see Matt around here somewhere, grab him and don't let him go until he tells you.

Martin

PS. Or have a look at the news page...