Best of the best in the second world war

Something about the whining roar of a Rolls-Merlin that just brings a tear to your eye :D

The fact that they power two of the sweetest fighters of the war (Spit, Mustang B -onward) probably doesnt hurt either smile.gif

Oh, PTO deserves mention (for the P+W R2800 guys ;) )

Hellcat - Ensigns airplane, easy to handle, designed specifically to kill the Zero

Corsair - Ensign Eliminator :D but it wasnt nicknamed whistling death for nothing...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my vote for the M-1 Garand as best battle implement, as Gen. Patton put it IIRC.

And the MB/GP peep AKA jeep, as everyman's mobility.

Would amphibious warfare been the same without the plywood LCVP? Another simple but basic tool of victory.

Let us not forget the lowly 6x6 truck, be it Jimmy or Studebaker, but it put the Allies on wheels and kept 'em fed and ammo'd up for most of the war.

Gotta love both the Merlins and the Pratt & Whitney R-2800. The engines that won the air war! Why don't we call them best in-line fighter engine and best radial engine respectively. Then we don't have to choose.

My candidate for best amphibious landing vessel is the good old LST. This Large Slow Target allowed the Allies to supply whole armies over the beaches, permitting the Pacific war to occur as it did and allowing the Allies to achieve strategic surprise in Normandy by landing far from any port. (The German High Command should have studied what was happening in the Pacific!) The Allies were still bringing whole divisions ashore by LST in Normandy in Nov '44, IIRC. I don't see how the western allies could have won a largely amphibious war without them.

I also have to mention the US pilot training program as the best of the best. The US began the war with a small cadre of trained pilots with no combat experience. The ended the war with a vast number of highly skilled veteran pilots. By contrast, the Germans and Japanese could never replace the elite corps of pilots with which they began the war. As a professional educator myself, I'd love to know what they were doing in the US pilot training program. Whatever it was, it worked and on a very large scale.

[ May 09, 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

(The German High Command should have studied what was happening in the Pacific!)

They didn't have to go that far. The landings in North Africa, Sicily (where the LST was first used, I believe), Salerno, and Anzio had already given them a taste of what the Allies were capable of.

I think the truly amazing thing about Normandy was the artificial harbors. Even though one was wrecked by the June storm, the remaining one outperformed the combined expectations for both. This was an engineering feat of the first order and one of Britain's greatest contributions to the war.

PLUTO (Pipe Line Under The Ocean) which freed up docking space on the Continent by pumping fuel direct from the UK was also a neat innovation.

Michael

Guest Mike

I didn't read the whole therad, but the 1st post said Hartman shot down 352 russian planes - IIRC that's not correct - there were 352 total, but 8 of them were anglo/allied smile.gif

German optics - Carl Zeiss factory captured and relocated to American sector.

German rocket propulsion. The first man in space was a Soviet, the first men on the moon Americans - but guess which scientists sent them there.

German photo paper. Osnabrück was captured by a plt - but a comapny secured the nearby factory.

German jet fighter planes.

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Lord Harmes:

Michael...

Do you know if the Meteor actually shot anything down or not?

ISTR it had successes against V-1s, which is mainly what it was used for. There were a couple of squadrons moved onto the Continent in the closing days of the war, but I don't recall if they ever actually saw the enemy.

Michael

Best Ground Support - Early German Blitz Aircraft. They would send a flight of three ME-110s against a column on a road. The 1st plane would strafe the road. The other 2 would drop bombs on the side of the road. They would kill their enemys and leave the road unharmed for the advancing panzies. - Source a Lecture to US War College by US Maj Black (Attache in Berlin) 6 DEC 1939

What about Audie Murphy? This thread has been going on for 4 pages and nobody mentioned him. He killed like 200 Germans, was wounded 3 times, received 30 medals including the Medal of Honor which made him the most decorated US soldier in WW2. One of the things he pulled of was holding of a company of Germans with supporting tanks by himself with a .50 cal mg.

Now thats an army of one. He finished the war with the rank of LT. After the war he also made a bunch of movies including "To Hell and Back".

Just my 2 cents...

for more info go here

murphymedals.jpg

Doesn't that look like a Ruskie general with all these medals?

Guest Mike

Meteors were slower than the 262's at eh end of the war, but IIRC the first of the Mk III's with a better engine were only a month away from service.

I don't know if any head-to-head tests weer flown by Meteors against 262's after the war - there was quiet a lot of test flying done against varius axis aircraft tho'.

the models that saw service in 1944 were Mk 1's I think - their top speed wasn't all that flash (just over 400 mph??) but they could get there and stay there much more easily than prop fighters could - ie they were not straining their engines to do it.

Chuck Yeager mentions flying the 262 against the P-80 in comparison tests in his biography, and the 2 aircraft had nearly identical performance. The only difference being the 262's swept-wing design giving the edge in near-transonic regimes. The swept wing concept would be properly employed on the F-86 (and the MiG 15..) smile.gif

Originally posted by Mike:

Meteors were slower than the 262's at eh end of the war...

Without pulling out my books and going over the numbers, I am inclined to agree with you. But I think the Meteor had other advantages, such as more reliable engines. It little matters how fast your planes are, if they are sitting in the shop when the enemy comes to pay a visit. All early jets had problems, but the Me-262 was one of the worst.

Another thing I have read was that the Me-262 was very tricky to fly and would become unstable in some regimes. I have not heard the same of the Meteor or the P-80 for that matter.

Michael

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by yacinator:

What about Audie Murphy? This thread has been going on for 4 pages and nobody mentioned him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm, check page three there sparky

yeah page 3