CMX2: what about a new battle-type?

One of the problems i see now: mostly unrealistical short battle-times, that put the attacker under time-pressure, but don't allow realistical maneuvering, especially of tank forces.

The alternative now, to use long enough durations that allow maneuvering and realistical tactics, but sometimes take the time pressure of the attacker completely away, which favors him too much, isn't good, too.

So what about a battle-type, that considers the speed of the success in the result?

Say you have to take an area and the battle ends, until you have reached your target and/or you weakened the enemy to a certain amount (morale) and not at a certain time?

The time needed to take the area is taken additionally into the battle's result (how much, ofcourse should stay a free decision of the scenario-designers).

If countdown-timers for certain aspects should or should not inform the player, how well he follows the timeplan, could be an option.

This battletype could be combined with the possibility, to call for additional support (think of artillery-reserves or a platoon of tanks partially repaired and 15 minutes away, only for the extreme emergency), which ofcourse would have a negative effect on the overall points.

[ December 25, 2004, 04:42 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of dynamic flags.

Also, if my vision comes true and the next CM engine will cover the pre-Barbarossa operations, a new battle type will come handy, due to the historical superiority of German maneuvers.

It'd be a "delay" mission, similar to those in the good ole' Steel Panthers: the defender is not expected to hold the flags at the end of the battle, but to only slow down the enemy advance, gaining an increasing bonus for every turn the enemy is held away from the flags.

Originally posted by sand digger:

And Martyr, go fall on your sword.

Hey, thanks. Still, my understanding is that obnoxious sigs aren't allowed on this board, and I spoke in support of that policy. But maybe you'd rather have CM associated with the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion." Free speech and all that...

A Steiner14 quote from December 10...clearly he follows in footsteps of his namesake:

If it is allowed to talk about every people, why not about the jews?

Don't you find it interesting or do they have something to hide?

A prime candidate for the killfile.

WTF is 'obnoxious' about Steiner14's sig? [Roll Eyes]
By my lights it's obnoxious to go around a WW2-related bulletin board implying (apparently sincerely) that there's a Jewish conspiracy to control the world.

It's not a crime, but it's in very bad taste, and I believe in calling people on it. SOMEbody has to keep up standards, after all, even outside of the Peng thread.

Martyr, I fail to see how Steiner's signature could imply the claim of a Jewish conspiracy to control the world. It's just a quotation and you can easily verify that Mr. Sharon did say those words. You should blame Mr. Sharon for saying that and not Steiner for reporting that.

Romulus Invictus

Originally posted by Romulus:

Martyr, I fail to see how Steiner's signature could imply the claim of a Jewish conspiracy to control the world. It's just a quotation and you can easily verify that Mr. Sharon did say those words. You should blame Mr. Sharon for saying that and not Steiner for reporting that.

Romulus Invictus

The source quoted is the Islamic Association For Palestine news...

[ December 31, 2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: stikkypixie ]

Scirocco,

it's not a fraud! The source is israeli, not palestine.

@others

I expect you to be as tolerant yourself, as you demand and can expect it from others.

You may not like my quote, that is your good right, but it is not offending, because it attacks no one and if the quote would be from a German, Russian, Finnish or US politician, or from the pope, no one would even came on the idea, to force people to hide and ban it.

IMO your behaviour torwards me is unacceptable and, in oposition to my sig, is really offending and maybe it's time to leave, if a few, but even louder intolerant inquisitors here take the right to define, what other people are allowed to say and what not and try even to misuse and force moderators to join their inquisition tribunals.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

Scirocco,

it's not a fraud! The source is israeli, not palestine.

Misquote: Sharon Quote is Fabricated

These quotes originated with the pro-Hamas American group Islamic Association for Palestine in an Oct. 13, 2001 press release, which claimed its source as Israeli radio Kol Yisrael
CAMERA received confirmation from Kol Yisrael political correspondent Yoni Ben-Menachem, who reports on Cabinet meetings, that he never made such a broadcast and that Sharon never made such a statement.