Still amazed by CMAK..

To this day the more I play CMAK the more I appreciate it. I come across something really quite bizarre in a tiny 300 point QB I like to play from time to time.

Ok it sort of goes like this - I am British infantry, advancing on my target - I can see a light machinegun team directly ahead of me along with some pioneer troops slightly further back - I am advancing my kangaroo with squad, and it gets taken out by what appears to be a series of small explosions. 3 in a row to be precise - now the battle hasnt finished so I cant tell who or what was responsible for knocking it out but the sounds were like demo charges? but three in a row? Its also like a smaller straffe or something like that by an aircraft, but theres no noise to represent it. So I'm puzzled what this could be - its not a AT gun either. I guess I will find out shortly but I just thought I'd share this - its cool. The joys of Fog of War!

Get this the plot thickens! I've just checked and five men have surrendered to me, 2 from the LMG team and 3 from an infantry squad - so it defo wasnt demo charges, there isnt anyone near enough, and they wouldnt chuck charges on themselves would they? Whats odd is that these men were in the house that just got hit by one of the three blasts! So it suggest random indirect fire? But I didnt think the AI was capable of that?

Multiple small mortars? Small AA gun volley (but that produces only 1 explosion)?

About that aircraft noise, on my machine when I rewind a couple of seconds during an aircraft attack the aircraft sound is mysteriously gone. Only when I rewind to a point before it shows up do I hear it again.

BUT, since it's unlikely the AI has aircraft in a 300 pointer I'm out of ideas now.

Ok the kanga got hit by a rifle grenade from the flank, it didnt immobilise but it did shock the crew, it was at the end of the same turn that I see the three explosions - they are too big to be 50mm mortar rounds and they wont be an aircraft in a 300 point QB so I'm none the wiser - I cant wait to find out what it was..

• 2 months later...

what's a kangaroo? perhaps the crew were smoking and some spilled fuel ignited. i think the rifle grenade is most likely, or maybe even some quad 20mm AA fire, and one missed. i wacked one of those guns on a german halftrack this morning, and i know they fire very rapidly. Jerry has alot of stuff it could have been. maybe a nebelwerfer, or some insideous mind control weapon made your sodier pull the pins out of their grenades.

If its late enough in the war for you to have kangaroos perhaps its also late enough in the war for nearby German infantry to be carrying spare panzerfausts with them. The explosions wouldn't be all that large, though. And three explosions would imply three separate squads firing at once.

Originally posted by Denwad:

The only AFV I've seen my infantry take out with rifle grenades was an A13.

My guys have killed a fair number of vehicles with rifle grenades over the years. Mostly it's HTs but I got a StugIII with one in the first round of ROW IV, which was a turning point for me in that battle.

Give me a grenade bundle or demo charge any day, however...