Need Picture ID'd

My two guesses:

1) Hetzer with the 75LL gun (an ASL term). Some Hetzers with equipped with the same type of 75 mm Gun that was used in the Panther (notice that I am NOT a gun grog redface.gif ). Well, at least that's what I learned from the ASL "Armoury" anyway.

2) Jagdpanther.

Remember, these are guesses. tongue.gif

No, I don't think it's even a vehicle. It looks like an 88mm ATG PaK43. The gun shield is easely recognizable.

By the way, the weapons doesn't look simply set up on the ground, but on a kind of platform with camoflage :confused:

Edited : I've just noticed that the gun has a "chair" in front of it. This device is to be used during transport... ...strange !

It's a Panzer IV (not a PanzerKampfWagen IV) But the barrel is a 8.8cm KwK43/L71. On the hull you can see clearly the barrel holder on the front and the track on the left. Only the Panzer IV series have the barrelholder placed like that. At the end of the war al kind of vehicles were assembled with material that was able for combat. Modifications like this one was therefore common at the end of the war.

The gun is pretty obviously an 8.8cm PaK43/3 L71. What it's mounted on though... The track looks pretty narrow for it to be a MkIV, so I'm guessing a Pz38 chassis. Since the guy standing in back looks to be wearing American kit, maybe it's even some one-off captured French AFV mutant.

In the game the Jagdpanzer IV with the L/70 gun is called "Panzer IV/70". This may be handy because the only actual Panzer that used the 75/L70 was Panther, so there's no danger of mixup even if you drop the 'Jagd' bit from the front of Jagdpanzer IV/70. I would still suspect that Germans called it as Jagdpanzer, because that includes the important bit saying that it's a "hunting" tank, a tank destroyer.

But flatly calling Jagdpanzer IV as 'Panzer IV' (both the L/48 and L/70 variants) is deceptive and should be avoided.

Originally posted by Sergei:

In the game the Jagdpanzer IV with the L/70 gun is called "Panzer IV/70". This may be handy because the only actual Panzer that used the 75/L70 was Panther, so there's no danger of mixup even if you drop the 'Jagd' bit from the front of Jagdpanzer IV/70. I would still suspect that Germans called it as Jagdpanzer, because that includes the important bit saying that it's a "hunting" tank, a tank destroyer.

But flatly calling Jagdpanzer IV as 'Panzer IV' (both the L/48 and L/70 variants) is deceptive and should be avoided.

Funny smile.gif ,

I always use to say Jagdpanzer IV.. but since I've that book I use Panzer IV :( I will call it a Jagdpanzer IV from now on

;)

I seriously don't think it's a tank at all.

The 'wheel' on the left side is load bearing, and is not the correct size nor shape for the drive or rear return bogie of a PzKpfw IV.

It is more typical of the late war wheel used on German AT and artillery pieces (as shown in the photo posted by Wicky above).

And what looks like track on first glance (to the immediate right of the wheel) appears to be a mechanism of the wheel axle, or could be part of a frame to hold armored plate used to protect the axle from damage.

Mace

That's a curious picture. I would speculate that it is indeed a PaK 43, possibly towed by a halftrack, in which the individual is standing. Having said that, the travel lock isn't in use, which might mean the crew didn't fit it, or they were in the process of limbering, or unlimbering it.

Originally posted by Wicky:

...what is this aircraft and what does it have in common with Frenchy's original linked '88' photo?

Well, the craft is one of the Ferdinand Ferber's flying prototype, elaborated in early 20th century. Here is a small biography.

No glory for me : the answer was in your link... redface.gif

However, I really don't know what's the link between this flying dinosaur and a WW2 german anti-tank gun ! :confused: :D