Can't read the ReadMe (Mac)

I keep forgetting to post this, so it may not be that important, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. When I tried to read the ReadMe file that comes with the demo, I got an error message that said the file is too large to be opened by SimpleText. I tried increasing the memory allotment on SimpleText, but it made no difference. Have any other Mac users seen this? Is there any known fix?

Michael

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Michael,

As you discovered Simple Text can't cope with largish files. Text Edit (the OS X replacement for Simple Text) isn't as limited.

Perhaps the readme was written for TextEdit which would be ironic since the rest of the game doesn't like OS X!

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. I noticed a couple times over the last few months similar problems with text files. You're right that it would be ironic if it were written on TextEdit. Just out of curiosity, would a file written for SimpleText be readable in TextEdit?

Michael

[ November 24, 2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gibsonm:

Michael,

As you discovered Simple Text can't cope with largish files. Text Edit (the OS X replacement for Simple Text) isn't as limited.

Perhaps the readme was written for TextEdit which would be ironic since the rest of the game doesn't like OS X!

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. I noticed a couple times over the last few months similar problems with text files. You're right that it would be ironic if it were written on TextEdit. Just out of curiosity, would a file written for SimpleText be readable in TextEdit?

Michael </font>

I've been having that problem for ages. Some of my opponents send me PBEM's as plain text rather than actual files. To solve this problem I have to copy the text to a simple text or text edit, convert it to plain text and then off I go.

However, lately I have noticed that some of my turns are too large for Simple Text and I have to reboot into OSX to convert it.

Does anyone know of a good text editor for OS9, hey it doesn't even have to be that good it just has to convert to plain text and save. Seeing as I'm going have to be in 9 a lot more with AK I may as well try to find one.

Will

TextEdit can't save txt files, only rtf.
Actually, it can save txt files as well, but it isn't as simple as it should be. :(

What you have to do is go to the "Format" menu and choose the "Make Plain Text" item. Once the document is in plain text format, it will be saved as a *.txt file.

Does anyone know of a good text editor for OS9, hey it doesn't even have to be that good it just has to convert to plain text and save. Seeing as I'm going have to be in 9 a lot more with AK I may as well try to find one.

Tex-Edit Plus

Best darned text editor for the Mac, OS 9 and OS X. I gave the guy $50 for the shareware fee, more than he requests.

Originally posted by Webs:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Does anyone know of a good text editor for OS9, hey it doesn't even have to be that good it just has to convert to plain text and save. Seeing as I'm going have to be in 9 a lot more with AK I may as well try to find one.

Tex-Edit Plus

Best darned text editor for the Mac, OS 9 and OS X. I gave the guy $50 for the shareware fee, more than he requests. </font>