MasterGoodale's Mystery WWII Photo Thread (Pics Posted!)

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

... Who's the guy to the right of Hitler inn that pic? I think he's in one of my photographs, but he looks younger in my pic. He's doing a speech and there are a few people besides Hitler sitting nearby on a stage of some sort. he's wearing what I believe is a white uniform, but it's hard to tell. It could be tan I suppose.

That is the sculptor Arno Breker. He, together with Alber Speer, were accompanying Hitler as his 'tour guides' when he visited Paris on June 23rd 1940.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would I get acid-free liners or containers??

Try a good photography store, the type that supplies college students and professionals. Art and framing stores also usually have archival materials. One of my photography professor had acid-free index card boxes that he stored small, loose 19th Cent. prints in. That would be perfect for a lot of loose, curling prints.

[ January 27, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: akdavis ]

This is an extremely interesting story to say the least. I would love to hear more when you dig up the facts MasterGoodale.

Reminds me of two things: all the photos my Grandfather had during his time in Europe with the 1120th Combat Engineer Group. Although much different than your find, each one he had held its own story which he was more than willing to share during the last years of his life. My wife, oldest son, and I would look very forward to those visits and those stories. The one's he really liked to concentrate on were the funny ones; ones where the whole company got the ****s and so forth, but he mixed in some serious ones as well. I remember when I was much younger and niave I asked him if he ever had to shoot his gun. He paused, his face became stern and deliberate. He simply replied, "Well, I was in Europe during the war." Dumb questions deserve short replies.

The other thing this reminds me off his the episode of BOB when Spiers is out for that personal photograph collection at the nest. Quite intriguing.

I'm very grateful that you have taken the time to share this story with us as it has brought back many memories for me of those times I spent with my Pap and the stories that he shared with me. Thanks again.

JWH

[ January 27, 2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: S.Sgt. Havilandt ]

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Goodale, depending on where you want the pictures parked in the web there should be ways of preventing people from stealing them.

I'll have a look into that maybe I can did up some scripts to disable mouseclick and sourcecode view on a website. That way no one could copy them.

Wrong; impossible.

No matter how clever you get with code, the data is being transmitted, ergo, the data can be copied. At a minimum, nothing can stop the user from grabbing a screenshot.

Eden

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Goodale, depending on where you want the pictures parked in the web there should be ways of preventing people from stealing them.

I'll have a look into that maybe I can did up some scripts to disable mouseclick and sourcecode view on a website. That way no one could copy them.

Wrong; impossible.

No matter how clever you get with code, the data is being transmitted, ergo, the data can be copied. At a minimum, nothing can stop the user from grabbing a screenshot.

Eden </font>

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Wrong; impossible.

Eden </font>

Awesome story MasterGoodale and thanks for sharing it. I hope we get to see perhaps one of the photos to give us a better idea for what you have.

Recently I have been involved in the "interogation" and digital conversion of old original photos from WW2. I have had them converted to JPG format not by using a standard scanner, but by my friend who has a 4 mega pixel digital Canon Powershot G2 camera setup with a tripod. The resultant JPGs are of excellent resolution and quality and I imagine much better than what you could do with a standard scanner. I have been able to zoom right up on details in the photos that would have otherwise remained unnoticed.

Just to give you an idea for what I mean I have included links to a JPG file created by the digital camera of one of the photos whose original size is 4"x6". Digital photo of a photo. Be sure to zoom up on details in the image to get an idea for the quality of resolution.

Just a thought for anyone who hasn't considered the possibility of using a digital camera to "scan" photos. It could be the better investment as opposed to getting a scanner.

BTW, I can only image that the other photos stolen from your grandfathers collection might have been the "pick of the bunch". Who knows what photographic historical gems have now probably been lost/destroyed never to be seen again by anyone. :(

That kind of twist of fate reminds me much of what happened to most of the photographs taken by Robert Capa when he landed on Omaha beach on D-Day. He risked his own life and took 3 rolls of film (perhaps a hundred or so exposures) at Omaha beach during the main assualt. He survived but when the film was sent back to England to be developed, an over eager darkroom techician ruined the film. Only 10 exposures survived. :mad: Who knows what other fantastic action photos we would all be able to see right today had this one technician not gaffed. :confused: They may have been the best combat photos ever taken. To lose historical stuff like that is almost criminal.

Lt Bull

He also has his original draft card and 3-4 pictures of one of the concentration camps that he went to when there were still jews there. The pictures are are of dead jews piled up and American soldiers around them. I THINK he said it was Aushwitz or something. He has a photo of the entire camp from a distance also. He took these himself if I remember correctly.

It was most likely not Auschwitz. Auschwitz is in Poland and was liberated by the Soviets on January 27, 1945.

Patton had yet to wizz in the Rhine at that point.

Patton.jpg

They are a little worn as they have been in his wallet for almost 50 years. I asked him why he kept them in his wallet and he just looked at me and said "So that I never forget". I plan to get copies of those as well but after he said that I wasn't comfortable asking for them to copy.

Hmm, interesting. I would imagine that seeing it just once with ones own eyes would be enough to never forget.

:(

Yeah, I realized that at any rate someone can do a print screen or something.

However, I think the simplest solution for getting the pics online would be to use a heavy jpg compression. That way people could still identify the persons and the content of the pictures, but never be able to use for bragging or sales because the quality would be just to poor.

Also, I seem to remember that there are ways to disable keyboard input on websites.

Digital watermarks are another option but I'm not sure how they work.

Easiest way for setting up something would be by password protection and only allowing selected people to view them.

I nhave an update to the info. Although I haven't heard back from Gramp on the email I sent him asking the questions I have, I talked with my wife last night to see if maybe she remembered the conversation better than I did. She said he was in Munich from 1942-1943 and that's when he found the camera (she's pretty sure)! So at least now the time frame is narrowed down. But I don't know the time frame of the actual pictures still. This is what will take time and may even be impossible :(

I did look at some of them again last night and found two that I am about 90% sure are of Joseph Stalin and some women that could be his wife. They were taken fairly close up and were obviously focusing on these two. The funny thing is they appear to be surrounded by erman soldiers at some indoor gathering! :eek:

I looked really hard for swastikas but couldn't seem to find any because these old pictures weren't much for background detail. But the soldiers behind them do resemble German soldiers to me. I don't know.

I'll keep you all posted as I slueth my way through this mystery. . . :cool:

Another update:

I work with a guy who I know pretty well and he has a really nice Epson scanner. He offered for us to go to his house at lunch tomorow and he said he will scan some pictures to see what we can do with them. he said he has been very impresses with his scanner and that it has enabled him to take old, small black and white photos and scan them at very high resolution and turn them into large pictures where the detail is amazing. He said some of them he can read labels on packages in the far background after scanning them when before you could barely see the packages. this will be awesome if it works. I told him he could not keep copies or sell anything related to the pictures and he agreed. He's a really nice guy and I've worked with him for about 2 years so i trust him. Plus I will be right there.

I also confirmed the 2 pictures are DEFINITELY of Stalin. I looked up some other photos of him on the net, but couldn't get any real good ones. Was he married?

I nhave an update to the info. Although I haven't heard back from Gramp on the email I sent him asking the questions I have, I talked with my wife last night to see if maybe she remembered the conversation better than I did. She said he was in Munich from 1942-1943 and that's when he found the camera (she's pretty sure)! So at least now the time frame is narrowed down.

And he was in the US Army?

I must be lost or something. How did he get to Munich in '42 or '43?

I hope you guys don't think I'm playing games with you, it's just that my knowledge of these photos is vague still and my job is demanding a lot of me right now so I haven't had time to make much progress on them. After my buddy scans them for me and we blow them up to see great detail we will know much more hopefully. How can I tell if they are photos of photos??

Mystery Solved:

It's obvious what has occurred. Master Goodale's grandfather is the "dead" Rudolf Hess. (An imposter was in Spandau the whole time.) Goodale himself is the culmination of an insanely byzantine plot. I will keep it simple so as not to lose you.

In '43 Hitler and Stalin met secretly. They knew the world was against them. Using their scientists and force of will, they combined their genes using a radical technique. (Don't ask. If I tell you, you will think both of these men more bizarre than before, but it did involve baby oil and Twister.)

Anyhow, Hess took the cryogenically frozen result and passed himself off as a US serviceman. Operation "Long Willy" had begun. Unfortunately, Hess mis-interpreted the slang "Willy" into "Tom".

The years passed. The hell-spawn was hatched and grew into a TNT-chucking, slathering mad-man. It was time. Hess "revealed" the hell-spawn's lineage, using a set of "oops, look what I found" photos - provided by the Ministry of Propaganda - to re-awaken the implanted genetic memories.

The plan failed.

That, gentleman, is what has happened. Senachai, do not doubt this.

Ken - adding smile.gif 's to make sure!

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Exactly das Reich! That's what the hell I'm wondering!!? Did we have soldiers in Munich in 1942-1943?? This is why I originally thought he must have said the end of the war. I'm so confused right now :confused: . . .

I don't think so. Unless he was a spy, POW or civilian.

The US did invade Sicily in July of '43, but they would not get no-where near Munich.