Hi I'm new and I'm an CMoholic

Hey everyone.

I got CMBO quite a while back but never really tried to immerse myself into it. As a matter of fact it just seemed to over wheleming to me. But after playing many a RTS on WW2 (including the Close Combat series one of my favorites) I decided to give this game a go. Now that I have read and re-read the manual I have a geat feeling for this game.

Anyways Now that I have introduced myself I have read the New Guys stop here sticky at the top and as proof, milf went out my nose last night as I read the post about "Night of the Refreshing Monkeys", but anyways I am looking for some well balanced operations. I have seen the sites the sticky refers me too but one doesn't work and the other one the print is so small I'm afriad my eyes my bleed trying to find what I'm looking for. Also another thing, it doesn't have screen shots of any of the mods and what they change.

Is there a site that does this? Also on the topic of mods which ones are the absolutly must haves? I have patched to 1.3 and I'm eager to get involved as I am a big time WW2 buff.

Thanks in advance and I hope to meet you on the field of battle.

Hmmmmmmmm :cool:well seems i have the 1.2 build and if im correct there is a 1.3 out. Think i have found it and is downloading now......tx for the help anyways, hopefully they start shooting back now lol

[ February 23, 2006, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Hmmmmmmmm :cool:well seems i have the 1.2 build and if im correct there is a 1.3 out. Think i have found it and is downloading now......tx for the help anyways, hopefully they start shooting back now lol

Congratulations, Nidan! You have just managed to not make any sense at all! :D

Oh, and welcome to the new one!

I appreciate all the post and would like to play some MP but again, I will probubly needs certian mods that are common place to be able to play.

One more thing, I'm really not any good, lol I used to play with full control on real time and most of the plans I make now hit the fan when the real time starts :D

Anyways again I appreciate the welcomes and hope to meet you all on the battlefield shortly ;)

Damion,

Welcome aboard! As long as you have the latest version of the game you're playing installed, that's all you really need to play. Mods are eye candy (as in new vehicle paint schemes, region appropriate buildings, uniform changes or corrections), ear candy (sound mods, to include revoicing the troops), or player aids (gridded terrain, improved explosions)--none of which is essential to playing the game--but they can make your playing experience easier and more enjoyable. Indeed, some of the mods place the game into entirely different operational theaters, the Pacific, for example.

Regards,

John Kettler

It is very interesting to here that there are sound mods avaliable for the game.

I play with a headset and I have always thought that sound is one of the most important parts of immersion, and if it doesn't sound real I don't buy into the immersion, however the stock sounds in the game do a good job of this, but I will defiantly have a go at some of these sound mods!

One last question, as far as the mods go and I'm sure everyone has their own individual setup for thier personal computer, does this cause any compatability problems during mp? For instance if I have a certian mod and the other player doesn't will it cause a certain problem? I'm sure if worst comes to worst the two players can agreee upon a certian setting and file thier mods acorrdingly.

Mods have no effect on how the game works, just on how it looks and/or sounds. Players don't need to have the same mods installed to play each other. One player can have his CM modded out the wazoo while the other has the stock version and it won't make any difference in gameplay.

Damion,

Dook's correct. The easiest way to think of it, though, is that whatever mods you have installed exist only in your computer, thus your game reality, and simply don't exist in your opponent's world, since they're not on his/her computer.

You can have everything so heavily modded that your computer practically collapses under the rendering/processing load, but your opponent can meanwhile be running in pure vanilla mode out of the box. The only effects I can see would be delays on your end getting turns back, or in the limit, game termination if your computer breaks down via overload.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi Damion,

Now, I don't know anything about mods and that kind of stuff at all, but it does sound like you are eager to play against some other people. If you want,as I am quite green myself, you can email me with a setup, or vice versa, and we can battle it out. If not, thats ok too.

Anyway, welcome aboard. smile.gif

LOL Yea I'm pretty eager to get my hands dirty in this game, its really interesting, though I have only seemed to master partially the infantry part of the game. While I do well with armor, I seem to either over use it or under use it, never an equal balance of infantry and armor.

Just played an Quick Battle with the Soviets attacking a village, I'm defending as Germans and I have 3 at guns 1 strum 1 KT and a Ht. Well they started with an amazing amount of T-34s and IS-2. I made quick work of the attackers losing only 1 at gun and the strum. So I feel I over used the armor abit, especially with the KT.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes I'm sure the pleasentries will be dispenced with once we get on the battle fields ;)

In case you hadn't come across it already, the top site for downloading mods is www.cmmods.com. There are also mod managers, like McMMM, which make it easier to install and uninstall mods. These managers are also available at the cmmods website.

My main use for the website is to download winter uniforms and vehicle whitewash, which are not included on the CD.

Originally posted by Damion:

Hey everyone.

I got CMBO quite a while back but never really tried to immerse myself into it. As a matter of fact it just seemed to over wheleming to me. But after playing many a RTS on WW2 (including the Close Combat series one of my favorites) I decided to give this game a go. Now that I have read and re-read the manual I have a geat feeling for this game.

You have been aCMilated.

Originally posted by Damion:

Also on the topic of mods which ones are the absolutly must haves?

Other than mabey a cool sky mod thats out there or mabey the historical flag set, there really are no 'must have' mods for CMBB.

(Edited to add, Tarkus's interface mod)

Mods were meant for CMBO, and they really revolutionized the game itself. A fully modded out CMBO, with the top notch mods, looks almost as good (and in some cases better) as CMBB. But a fully modded CMBB doesn't look that much better than the stock version of the same game.

Don't worry about mods. Save some money and buy a copy of the game for your friend. Then play a few TCP/IP games, Infantry Only, 500 pts...

and let the good times roll.... smile.gif

[ February 26, 2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Bluefish ]