Temp place to download RealColors Mod

If that's the same Kazaa I'm thinking of, be very careful about downloads from them. My mom sent me an email about a month ago warning me not to download from them. She had read an article in the paper in which quite a few people had downloaded music from the site only to find out that they had huge phone bills ( several hundred bucks ) after doing so. When they disputed the charges & refused to pay, their phones were disconnected. Just thought that I should mention this as the name Kazaa rang a bell.

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

...read an article in the paper in which quite a few people had downloaded music from the site only to find out that they had huge phone bills ( several hundred bucks ) after doing so.

You can download things using your computer and a phone line?

Kazaa (and as far as I know all the PtP networks without central servers) don't keep a "master" list of all the files shared. Instead, various computers in the network each has their own, almost certainly incomplete, list.

The more computers share a file, and the longer a file is shared, the more likely it is others will be able to find it.

Only one computer, only for a little while... it's going to be hard to find.

If the Bandwidth Nazis take down cm.cozog I'd like to try using Kazaa (or another PtP network) for distributing CMBB files. If enough people put up CMBB files they'll be easy to find. (How many people? I don't know.)

[ November 05, 2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

If that's the same Kazaa I'm thinking of, be very careful about downloads from them. My mom sent me an email about a month ago warning me not to download from them. She had read an article in the paper in which quite a few people had downloaded music from the site only to find out that they had huge phone bills .....

I think you may have this mistaken with something else ... Kazaa isnt a 'site' its a peer-2-peer network.

Im going to search on Kazaa later on today ... If its still available it should start to appear .. it takes a little while for a new file to propagate through the network.

I dont think the Usenet idea will work for this mod due to its size.

FAO. Gunslinger - Update on webspace .... the ISP who offer me unlimited webspace, limit the bandwidth and the ISP who offer unlimited bandwidth will only offer a usless 20mb webspace.

With your mod at 250megs .... im stuck, cant help.

Sorry ! :( ... (why does life do thing like that !)

Lou2000

Well, the problem with UseNet is that the propogation period for a file 250 megs is two days, and most servers these days wipe outposts after 24 to 48 hours.

Another big stumbling block is that Usenet is not an easy thing to teach and some folks may not be versed on software/protocol and yadda yadda yadda of Usenet.

No problems though as Chris Merchant has giving me on ok on the send and I am uploading to him right now at 1:30 am. So it just a few hours it should be up and when chris getst he page set, we will be good to go smile.gif

FTP says 5 hours to go.. hehe

If that's the same Kazaa I'm thinking of, be very careful about downloads from them. My mom sent me an email about a month ago warning me not to download from them. She had read an article in the paper in which quite a few people had downloaded music from the site only to find out that they had huge phone bills ( several hundred bucks ) after doing so. When they disputed the charges & refused to pay, their phones were disconnected. Just thought that I should mention this as the name Kazaa rang a bell.

*Snort* *snicker*

Ah, women... Anyway, here's the bottom line:

1) Kazaa is not a server, but a P2P network program.

2) You'll need a fast connection to use a network like this. Although 56K'ers still have a chance, I'd recommend a cable modem or ADSL.

3) Download Kazaa Lite, it saves you from a bundle of nefarious spyware. Available at www.kazaalite.com

Listen: all I was trying to do was warn people about what I'd heard, okay?!!! I'd heard some bad stuff about this " Kazaa " service or whatever the hell it is & figured that maybe I could help some of you avoid a potential problem ( getting nailed with a huge f***ing bill ). I don't need nor do I appreciate snotty remarks like in the last few posts when I was only trying to help!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I have already explained, packing them into ZIPs would not work.

That 250 Ace exe hold almost 700 megs of data.

Ace compresses BMP much better than Zip or RAR.

If I were to break up the files into several smaller ones you would have a heck of a lot more to download.

Originally posted by Gunslinger:

As I have already explained, packing them into ZIPs would not work.

That 250 Ace exe hold almost 700 megs of data.

Ace compresses BMP much better than Zip or RAR.

If I were to break up the files into several smaller ones you would have a heck of a lot more to download.

I've no problem with ACE instead of zips, and maybe COH can change the upload conditions to accept ACEs. Anyway Zip should only be 15-20% bigger at worst, it's no big deal IMHO...

As for dling 8-10 smaller files instead of a HUGE one it's not more time consuming and in fact rather more convenient - for the poor 56k users it's maybe the ONLY solution !

Yeah, sorry Rob, I was actually poking fun at the use of dial-up modems for internet access -vs- highspeed users which I probably shouldn't have done in the first place.

Moving on....

I was going to suggest usenet if a reliable webhost hadn't been found. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but not much more than the other "tools" that are starting to be used around here; ICQ, Kazaa now, etc. Retention is an issue and it does depend on individual newsproviders. Mine will retain most posts for around 4 days. Others will vary. At any rate, once I can get a copy of this sucker, I will post it to alt.binaries.w-software where I've been posting my mod collection on a regular basis along with "Citizen" (real name escapes me at the moment). That is unless Gunslinger would rather it not be posted to usenet.

If anybody would like any information on using usenet, what you need, how to do it, etc, feel free to contact me and I'll give a lesson.