Close combat series: how do you guys feel about it?

#2 was the height of gameyness. If you engineered your units to have 2 88's at one point, and perched them up on a hill, they could shoot through a small gap in some other hills to the east and slaughter the soviets in their setup area
Heul doch!

are there any games outside where you cant be gamey? I mean without thousend of rules who cut the main of fun out of the game.

CC2 hade one of the best Grand Campaigns i ever saw on a screen and thus a lot of fun and thrill. It hade also drawbacks, like pivoting tanks when you dont need it..ect.

I enjoyed it at the time. Compared to Steel Panthers, the graphics were extremely good. I hated it for that reason though - I mean, the graphics were so good that there was no way to make your own maps. I would have preferred simpler terrain tiles and the ability to create your own. Got boring playing the same tired maps all the time.

The campaign systems were a complete joke. In CC3 your "core force" was totally ahistoric - you would have Army panzers with SS infantry and engineers, Luftwaffe AT guns, it was a mess. The CC4 campaign was a bit better in terms of force composition, but it was deadly dull in that you were required to fight on the same maps over and over and over and over again.

Lack of replayability really killed CC. Given a choice between open-ended map and scenario creation and a campaign game - give me CM anyday!

Ok, guys, CC series are trash with respect to the CM series but I loved to the CC series because of it's campaign system with that you could manage the operations not the single battles.. I hope that CM will come operational level with the CMx version..

Tolga

Originally posted by Abbott:

I purchased the first one when it became available. Played it several times and returned to Steel Panthers. I did not care for it at all.

I agree, even though I got 2 and 3 and tried to like it, I always ended up going back to Steel Panthers or the Talonsoft Western/Eastern Front games until CM arrived. Still it introduced a lot of people to the genre, so it did some good.