For the Proletariat Player: the drink that fits the game

Just remember, if you want to drink like the Russians, make sure you have a lot of bite-sized foods ready, like cheeses, meats, breads, pickles, vegetables, etc. With every shot there must follow food. And it wouldn't hurt to prepare with a bowl of pel'menyi beforehand. How else do you expect a human to remain conscious after putting away half a bottle of vodka during the long night?

;)

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Half a bottle? In a night. Try half a bottle in a half an hour . . .

WWB

Well, I think that might either mean an impressionable college student in Miami U, or an alcoholic. When I went to Moscow this past summer about 10 of us (9 Russian buds, me) spent 12 hours putting away 5 bottles - and after about the 3rd or 4th bottle the number still drinking had dropped, so it was probably more than half a bottle for those of us who went the night smile.gif My Russian friends considered that a good drinking session. And, don't worry, I was pretty much the living dead after about 6-7 hours of sleep - but, amazingly, no hangover. Hence, take a bite of food after each and every shot.

[ February 26, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Grisha ]

I don't think this "Red Army Vodka" quite compares with Smirnoff Red Label.

This past summer I also had dinner with a good friend and his 70+ yr old father who had been a career officer in the Red Army. He's a professor now at an institute in Moscow, and my friend and I went over to his Dad's apartment after buying some food. The dinner was great as was the conversation and the gracious gifts. We must've been there for nearly 6 hours, but it passed quickly (I got the chance to see a number of photo albums, some of himself and his relatives in the Red Army, and some of his hiking among the Kamchatka peninsula back in the 50's).

During our dinner, we started with a bottle of official vodka with the label of the Soviet Union on it. Talk about smooth, and it had not even been in the fridge on that hot evening. The Red Army vodka won an award in Moscow in 1999, so I'm wondering if it might be this same official recipe. I'll soon find out, since I ordered 2 bottles from internetwines.com (a well run operation from Illinois for a number of years).

Originally posted by Soddball:

Darn - not available in the UK.

But here is the person to contact if you want to be the "distributer" ;)

Drinks-net.com

I love the fact that it can be purchased in a "single presentation ammunition box (which also contain three shot glasses), or in ammunition boxes containing 3-6 bottles)! Try that in your duty free!

In the days when the Soviet Union existed, the hi-grade vodka of choice was "STARKA", reserved for the nomenklatura only. My mother went on a tour to Moscow in 88-90? - I've forgotten, and I had her bring back a bottle. It was a pepper vodka brown and SMOOOOTH, SO SO SMOOOTH - WOW! I killed it with my wife and a pal of ours who was a navy helicopter driver.

Originally posted by Fionn:

"How else do you expect a human to remain conscious after putting away half a bottle of vodka during the long night?"

HA!!! No wonder the Russians don't rule the world. A half a bottle and they're out? Sheesh! ;)

And yet, neither do the Irish. tongue.giftongue.gif