Any good books on Barbarossa to Berlin?

I was just looking through the book store the other day but I saw 2 thick, hardback books regarding the east front by the same author. I think one was titled Stalingrad and the other something to do with Berlin. They were both thick and had a whitish cover. Forgot the author's name, does anyone know which ones I'm talking about? Do you recommend? They are quite recent.

Also on that note, I was wondering does anyone have any recommendations for good reads regarding Operation Barbarossa and the east front? I find my lack of knowledge disturbing and I'd like to know more about what transpired.

Thanks guys!! smile.gif

Or is that "Antony Beevor"?

I think there was something different about his name...he's not an Anthony Beaver...nor an Anthony Beevor, but an "Antony Beevor".

...er...something like that.

For an honest, hard look at the WWII from the eyes of a German combat soldier, check out Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer....it's real, dammit...real....all of it....

(runs away screaming laughter into the night...without pants, without shirt, without shame, without care) Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

I was just looking through the book store the other day but I saw 2 thick, hardback books regarding the east front by the same author. I think one was titled Stalingrad and the other something to do with Berlin. They were both thick and had a whitish cover. Forgot the author's name, does anyone know which ones I'm talking about? Do you recommend? They are quite recent.

Also on that note, I was wondering does anyone have any recommendations for good reads regarding Operation Barbarossa and the east front? I find my lack of knowledge disturbing and I'd like to know more about what transpired.

Thanks guys!! smile.gif

The books you saw were probably 'The Road to Stalingrad' and 'The Road to Berlin' by John Erickson. They're both excellent operational studies of the conflict - I'd highly recommend them.

If you're looking for another good introduction to the Eastern Front, try 'When Titans Clashed' by Glantz.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

People on this board never seem to mention armor techie books, just histories. If you want some interesting reading on the Russian Front you should check out Jentz's "Tiger Tactics" hardcover, as well as his "Panther" hardcover.

Good point!

For a great overview of the organizational development of Soviet forces during WWII, try Zaloga's 'Red Army Handbook'. This book also gives a basic, but highly informative overview of Russian weapons development during the war.

I really enjoy "Panzer Aces"(franz Kurowski)which covers both the East and West front by giving accounts from tank commanders who served on both fronts(CMBO & CMBB). Also "Panzer Battles"(Gen.Von Mellenthin)which covers the East,West and North Africa...(may be handy for the upcomming CMAK).

[ July 22, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]