Is SMOKE CM's great underrated tool?

Finally it's happened and it p&*%#! me off.

One of my opponents is using smoke like I use smoke, goddam his eyes!! (for he's damned mine!) The village is choked with it. All my carefully chosen hull down LOSes aren't worth a damn. And They're coming: I can hear the chevrolets heaving the armor toward me and hear those pommy accents yelling to each other. Arrrrrgghhh...

In two or three years of CMing, I've hardly had anyone really use smoke well on me. I love the stuff: it's a moveable wood. My opponents often complain about it. Now it's finally happening to me. I deserve it, I'm sure. But my questions now are:

1. Who out there uses smoke a lot, like me?

2. Who out there kinda wonders how you use it and whether they should start sometime...?

3. What do you do when you've got a nice defence set up and the bugger smokes you. Run? Maneuver?

4. Am I going to live through this attack? lol

You didn't say which game but in CMAK the German AI smokes me alot.

SPOILER WARNING

The Valley of Trouble remake as US you have to smoke the pillboxes.

I wish there was more of it in CM, but the play balance is designed for the amount allowed. More might screw things up.

[ October 06, 2004, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: junk2drive ]

Originally posted by HarryInk:

1. Who out there uses smoke a lot, like me?

i use a lot of smoke when i am playing Soviets. it's so cheap i can't help it.

3. What do you do when you've got a nice defence set up and the bugger smokes you. Run? Maneuver?

i tend to reposition. infantry falls to fallback positions, while machineguns & mortars move to positions where they can hammer the enemy infantry that is about to enter your previous positions. then after a couple of minutes of hammering i launch a counter attack and take back my primary positions. it usually works very well, but you must have had patience to place a good share of your machineguns, mortars etc a bit further back.

i have smoked my own defensive positions a couple of times to create a massive ambush. gamey, but satisfying.

I think he was using smoke to cover his position fromm ranged fire when an assault came in ....

Very sneaky.

I have dropped smoke in front of my gun positions to break sight lines and put them into hide. Most players tend to forget in the heat of battle .... like me ... that tanks carry smoke also [well not russians , matildas er er ... yes well]

I really only just learned about more creative uses of smoke a couple of scenarios ago, when TrailApe opened up his attack with a whole barrage of smoke before moving tanks forward.

Since then, I try to use it whereever I can. It's just played a crucial part in helping me dominate my most recent match mwahahahah!

interesting thread. i like to read other people AAR's. i'm in a fight right now and i have 8 FT units. one of them set fire to a house (on my order) that was in some woods, in order to provide fire and smoke cover, and another just anhilated a crack british inf squad. actually, i have been having alot of luck with the flamethrowers lately. i need to find some way to post a screen shot or two. ive seen a few of my FT units kill light AVF such as stuarts, run up to suppressed inf, and burn them all out. there is another interesting thread about FT's though.

Originally posted by HarryInk:

This is one of the reasons why you always have reserves - so that you can react to events. Especially AT reserves (tank hunters) will be much needed, when your ATG's views are limited. The actual response depends on the details of the situation, sometimes it's okay to just stand fast with slight strengthening of the force density in the smoked area, sometimes you may need to adjust the lines more drastically especially if the smoke is meant to cover some nasty flanking move or something. The good thing about smoke is that it covers your troop movements too.

It is also helpful to have TRP's so that your FO's can direct fire to areas covered by smoke. That saves you some time so the enemy doesn't get as far before the smoke dissolves.

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Why is it gamey?

it just feels gamey. smile.gif i think it's mostly because it only works because you know that enemy is just about to attack, what his target area and strenght is. in reality you wouldn't know any of them and it would make more sense to have a usual defence setup with strenches and all that.

I just re-played Chance Encounter, and used mortar smoke to cover my advance into woods and blind the enemy.

Last time I played this scenario I got wasted quick-smart.

This time I waxed 'em all. Major victory with 12 turns remaining, all but 20 or so Germans killed or captured.

The moral of the story?

START SMOKING, KIDS! :eek:

I have just noticed that on two occasions the AI dropped loads of smoke on my attacking force. At first I thought something terrible was going to happen but nothing did and it really helped cover my forces. I was impressed with the AI for actually using artillery but switching to smoke just does not make sense. Any ideas?