Iconic WWII Photo - Anyone know who it is?

huh?

I'm not sure what one you guys are loking at but the url Michael gave (cut and pasted) looks pretty much like 2 German gunners celebrating to me - about to give each other a nice aryan bear-hug - they're certainly smiling, hte kit is German, and there's not a great coat in sight.

Well, I don't know the name of the Landser, but I do know why his buddy wasn't included on the "signal"-cover....

Just look at his face - doesn't look very "heroic" if you ask me.

( ...more like he just shat his pants...)

buddyfa3.png

I have another version of this photo featuring the two in a sligthly different pose (in: "Die Schlacht im Kursker Bogen; M.K.Barbier), but my scanner id dead....

• 2 weeks later...

48hiq9g.jpg

He is another nameless face in a picture.

A boy from some small American town probably.

A believer, who probably thought that "g_d" was on his side.

He probably realy believed that jesus was talking to Dubya.

He probably had his rifle blessed by a talmudist.

He probably wrote letters home to his mother telling her all about the "sinners" he was "saving" on the holy crusade that Dubya was sending him on.

And he probably struggled to hold that belief despite the abbominations he saw all around him.

And he probably died far from home.

(image deleted by Moderator)

[ January 04, 2007, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Mobear,

This is a warning. Firstly, political posts like this have NO PLACE here in this particular Forum at all. Secondly, the image I deleted was out of bounds due to its nature. The specifics of it are irrelevant... I would have deleted it no matter what flag was present. Thirdly, this post was simply designed to shock and insult, nothing else. That's against the Forum rules big time.

If you put another post like this on any of the Forums here, it will be your last.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Firstly, political posts like this have NO PLACE here in this particular Forum at all.

You mean the post by Corvidae on the previous page? Quote:

"He is another nameless face in a picture.

A boy from some small German town probably.

A believer, who probably thought that "god" was on his side.

He probably realy believed that jesus was talking to Hitler.

He probably had his rifle blessed by a priest or pastor.

He probably wrote letters home to his mother telling her all about the "sinners" he was "saving" on the holy crusade that Hitler was sending him on.

And he probably struggled to hold that belief despite the abbominations he saw all around him.

Thirdly, this post was simply designed to shock and insult, nothing else.
In regard to Corvidae's original post, I certainly agree. All I did was up the ante.

Secondly, the image I deleted was out of bounds due to its nature. The specifics of it are irrelevant... I would have deleted it no matter what flag was present.
For many reasons, I find that hard to believe. A picture speaks a thousand words, as they say.

If you put another post like this on any of the Forums here, it will be your last.
Well, look at my posting history and you will see that this forum is not exactly a preoccupation of mine.

Originally posted by mobear:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Firstly, political posts like this have NO PLACE here in this particular Forum at all.

You mean the post by Corvidae on the previous page? Quote:

"He is another nameless face in a picture.

A boy from some small German town probably.

A believer, who probably thought that "god" was on his side.

He probably realy believed that jesus was talking to Hitler.

He probably had his rifle blessed by a priest or pastor.

He probably wrote letters home to his mother telling her all about the "sinners" he was "saving" on the holy crusade that Hitler was sending him on.

Thirdly, this post was simply designed to shock and insult, nothing else.
In regard to Corvidae's original post, I certainly agree. All I did was up the ante.

Secondly, the image I deleted was out of bounds due to its nature. The specifics of it are irrelevant... I would have deleted it no matter what flag was present.
For many reasons, I find that hard to believe. A picture speaks a thousand words, as they say.

Well, look at my posting history and you will see that this forum is not exactly a preoccupation of mine. </font>

Mobear,

Well, look at my posting history and you will see that this forum is not exactly a preoccupation of mine.
Well, if you post any more of that White Power, neo-Nazi crap on our Forum again I can make it even less of a preoccupation of yours.

civdiv,

Now you can run away and claim you were deprived of your right to free speech by some Bush-apologist.
Heh... well, I think my views on Bush are pretty well known around here so I doubt I could possibly be confused with a "Bush-apologist". Usually I'm confused with traitors, defeatists, anti-American perverts, and other such nonsense :D

Steve

Steve,

I was merely alluding to the habit of some people of a particular political view to label anyone who disagrees with them as Bush lovers.

For example, I responded to a rant on another site where someone was bashing Bush over the dated report that he was AWOL while he was in the Air National Guard. I pointed out that a rather well-known media icon lost his job over those forged documents and I was promptly labelled as a 'Bush lover'. I am anything but, but anytime you poke holes in some of these people's arguments you end up getting labelled as such.

And then they claim they were denied their right to free speech despite the fact that no such right exists on a third party's website. Forgive me for not being more clear.

I enjoy honest intellectual debate but I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent. And here, just to be clear, I am talking to mobear.

[ January 06, 2007, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: civdiv ]

Originally posted by civdiv:

You didn't up the ante, you slurred a Marine doing his duty. The purpose of this topic was to try and ID the figure in an old picture, not to make a political statement. You attempted to change the course of the topic to suit your own political views.

I, for one, certainly did not attempt to change the course of this topic, nor did I change it to make a political statement. Instead, this was done by Corvidae, which is who I quoted in my post.

How do you know what he is fighting for?
How do I know? How does anyone know what goes on in the world? By observing cause and effect. What makes you think that only the likes of you know why this war is being fought?

At the start, the excuse was that "Saddam" had WMD's. That was a lie, wasn't it? Are you one of the few still defending this lie?

Then it was said that he was at least partly responsible for 9/11 and that he had links to "Al Queda", or some such. Well, that is a lie as well, as anyone with any knowledge of Middle East affairs will know. There is simply no way that a secular government such as that of Iraq would have supported religious extremists like those supposedly of Al Queda and, as might be expected, there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of this. Of course and as an aside, Al Queda is not a real organization, but instead nothing more than a CIA-invented boogieman, but I digress.

Then it was said that the purpose of the war was "regime change" and to "bring democracy" to Iraq and get rid of an evil dictator. Funny how Iraqis were never asked whether they wanted a foreign nation to install a new government in their country - and lets be honest, a puppet government.

You been to Iraq?
LOL, you'll have to come up with something better to make your arguments, but no, thank goodness I haven't.

You served in the military?
You betcha. Seven years in the USAF during the 1980's. And I'm guessing that's probably seven more years than you ever spent in the military. Of course, unlike you I don't use this non-issue to try to score cheap points in a political discussion.

I'll bet not, so don't judge someone who you don't even share a frame of reference with.
Well, you bet wrong.

In any case, who have I judged? What are you babbling about?

Now you can run away and claim you were deprived of your right to free speech by some Bush-apologist.
Is this your way of appealing to the administrators of this site to ban me so you don't look so bad with your childish arguments?

[ January 12, 2007, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: mobear ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Well, if you post any more of that White Power, neo-Nazi crap on our Forum again I can make it even less of a preoccupation of yours.

I don't know what makes you think I'm a white supremacist or neo-nazi.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who criticizes individual jews, any of their myriad of organizations or their little statelet of Israel is automatically labeled at least an anti-semite, or more likely, a nazi or some such.

But it is actually administrators such as yourself at websites and forums such as this one that are making it increasingly apparent to even some of the biggest dummies within your own ranks as to what is going on.